Christmas Eve dinner

Prime rib, butternut squash gratin, mushrooms, popovers, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach.

19 Likes

Christmas day, very similar to yours, Mr. Happy. Standing rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, carrots, mashed potatoes and creamed mushrooms. No pictures unfortunately, except for dessert.

3 Likes

More prime rib action. Merry Christmas :santa::santa::santa:

13 Likes

I’m jealous of all the prime rib!

1 Like

Had an excellent, perfectly cooked medium rare filet mignon at Barnacle Bill’s last night. I always get seafood there but just had a craving. While I’ve never had a bad experience, I was still surprised by how good it was.

There were also martinis.

3 Likes

Wow Johnny! That is some beautifully cooked prime rib! Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

As you can imagine, I sometimes fantasize about living elsewhere.

Thanks Eli. Someone was yelling for more prime rib!

13 Likes

LOL! I think kitty represents all of the HO’s out there :grinning:

2 Likes

Christmas Eve is my family’s big celebration. We had beef bourguignon over egg noodles, roasted broccoli, and salad. There was a ton of wine, presents, and 4 crazy kids!

Today we did lunch with a smaller group. I made two muffulettas - one with traditional meats and one veggie (roasted eggplant, zucchini, tomato, and red onion). Several salads, chips, brownies, and an apple cranberry crisp.

19 Likes

Damn, that’s a thing of beauty right there!

@shrinkrap & @Harters

Firstly, this is my parents home up in northern Girona on the Cape and it was reformed completely.

Is it typcial ? In this área, are only detached homes. The exterior is sort of “Bahaus” Contemporary.

Barcelona, Madrid Capital are Metropolitan and filled with City apartments predominately historic however, reformed on interiors in upscale neighborhoods. The suburbs have modern apartments, médium and high rise.

The Coast and Capes of northern Costa Brava are known for their “Stone Masas” (Stone), a “Villa” in Italian, & Bahaus contemporary, many of which were palatial lodgings centuries ago and completely reformed and renovated for modern living.

The Pork: Yes, the meat is Boneless Pork tenderloin. prepared with:

Vin Santo - a sweet Tuscan Dessert wine
dried fennel seeds
peppercorns (black and White)
celery
carrot
red onion
Evoo - Italian
salt to taste
red wine vinegar
butter 82% butterfat from France
bay leaves, sprigs of Rosemary, springs of sage, beef broth from home made beef stock, and fresh thyme herb.

6 Likes

@Mr_Happy - a picture is indeed worth a thousand words! In this case, your post has 11,000, all of them superlatives. Your entire meal looks beyond incredible! The fat cap on the prime rib is a thing of beauty, the roast itself, cooked to perfection, and I’m sure as delicious as it looks! You have a lucky family!

2 Likes

Ooohhh, muffulettas. Festive and unfussy way to feed a bunch of guests.

Way too easy for me to get overwhelmed with prep at the holidays so I love this idea.

4 Likes

I’ve only eaten this once. That was at the Napolean House in New Orleans - one of several places which seem to lay claim to being “authentic” (your call as to what that might actually mean). I liked - and wrote about it here - [New Orleans] Napolean House

3 Likes

LOVE muffulettas too. Had a great one at the NOLA airport believe it or not. Took 1/2 of it on the plane. May have been a bit aromatic for flight, but pretty sure most of the passengers were thoroughly anointed with the amazing food from the area, by that time.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Been doing Muffulettas for many years…so much so my 36 year old daughter thought it was a NYC thing…
Corrected her last year… so she said then…it is our sandwich!! (especially on a school night!)

8 Likes

Thanks…thoughts of this warms my heart!

1 Like

We did the same thing the last time we were there (pre-9/11 security). We bought ours at the Central Grocery. The other passengers were very jealous!