Chris Kimball's new venture

The clay in most flower pots is far from food safe.

Can you cite a source for that? Plain ole red clay was used for bowls and cooking pots by many of the planetā€™s peoples for eons. Besides which, the piece of damp pottery merely rests atop the sugar or dried fruit, so the contact is minimal.

Google flower pots food safe.

I had a long chat with the chef in the restaurant at Longwood Gardens. The issue is lead and compounds of lead used in terracota. Lead is apparently also in many glazes.

Iā€™m pretty easy going about over paranoia regarding food safety but lead content concerns me.

Received our complimentary issue of ā€˜Milk Street Magazineā€™ the other day. The big difference is the international scope he is taking on. Otherwise, the recipe formats appear to be similar. We will get a year subscription and see where it goesā€¦

I just put the heel of a loaf of bread in the jar. Keeps the sugar moist basically forever, in my experience.

2 Likes

Ditto. I had to grate and lightly microwave some brown sugar for baking a few weeks ago. Put a half slice of bread in both my light and dark brown sugar bags; 3 days later, they were both back to fully soft.

2 Likes