Chowhound archive and most memorable posts

Just in case anyone is wondering I now have Ricepad’s permission to post his quote:

3 Likes

Thanks Olunia,

Is ricepad a member here?

1 Like

Yep, @ricepad is here, somewhere. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a Steve that has the username of Ricepad…hoping he is the one. Quite a sense of humour on ricepad glad that he is here!

This is not a ‘one hit wonder’ for ricepad he is just an all around funny guy. I love reading his posts.

2 Likes

Are we supposed to be able to access archived posts? I get to the Internet Archive but can’t access any of the post from CH COTMS.

@riley try this link:

There is a Google sheet that lists all CH COTM topics and URLs posted by @MelMM using the Internet Wayback Machine cached links. Truly an amazing feat to gather all that info. :heart:

Digging deeper into the CH threads to see what was posted after the start of each COTM might take a bit more sleuthing, as the IWM may not have caught everything.

2 Likes

The problem I’ve run into with the archives I saved was that the comments are no longer loading, so they’re useless.

I’ve tried a few of the threads I saved, which showed as successfully archived, but it’s the same issue.

Hope some of these fare better.

2 Likes

That’s what I was finding as well. I thought I read that someone had figured out a way around that. Cant find the comment now.

Yeah, when I made the COTM spreadsheet, I tried to make sure that that the Wayback links included comments and that subthreads opened, but they have mostly stopped working for me, too.

I find it odd that they stopped working, because I had checked them after archiving, and reran the ones that didn’t work, but most of them did work. So frustrating, I would have spent that time copying over my notes instead.

3 Likes

I’m not really interested in the old Chowhound, but I just tried out the Wayback Machine. It took a long time to load, but I got a webpage with all the comments and everything. I had to click on “Discussion” and then open the list of boards.

2 Likes

Would you post the link that worked for you?

1 Like

First off
https://web.archive.org/web/20150320054328/http://chowhound.chow.com/boards

Then “View Full Board List”

5 Likes

I still can’t see comments on specific threads, unfortunately.

I go from View Full Board List → Home Cooking (or Manhattan), pull up a thread, and the original post shows up, but the comments don’t load.

For example this.

The landing page archives from 2022 and 2021 themselves don’t work. The one you linked is from 2015.

I’ll check other archive threads when I can. Hopefully they’re not all suddenly dead after being functional, but I think that may be wishful thinking.

Just by clicking around on various buttons I came up with this. I browse with Firefox and a slew of add-ons. I had to adjust the addons to get this.

2 Likes

Today I found I had saved this satisfactory conclusion to the “Metal Measuring Cup Stuck on Mason Jar” dilemma. Hat tip to this trio of 'hounds - youareabunny, DuchessNukem and kaleokahu - for their observations. They still make me laugh.
chowhound /post/metal-measuring-cup-stuck-mason-jar-921224

youareabunny

You liberated them!!! Congrats
Just keep an eye, they might have an affinity for each other after so many days together. Maybe keep them in separate drawers.

re: youareabunny
DuchessNukem 1 day ago

Seriously. These situations are where shot glasses and measuring spoons come from.

/topics/921224#8416456

re: DuchessNukem
kaleokahu 1 day ago

Hi, DN:

Which is precisely why every jar should be neutered, every cup spayed. Why do you think all the airport schlock shops are full of unwanted shot glasses?

The worst part is the deadbeat jars that pay no support!

Aloha,
Kaleo

2 Likes

Did anyone save the (2018 or 2019) document-link to CH’er TorontoJo’s Thanksgiving Plan spreadsheet? I downloaded the spreadsheet at the time so I have my own copy. But I am curious whether her spreadsheet is still in a publicly shared file area that can be given to others?

1 Like

Disappointed. Went to re-read “Mooch & Hooch” & the link just brings up the “revived” CH which doesn’t do forums. Also, it looks to me like they’re recycling old articles.

3 Likes

Are you saying CH isn’t what it used to be? :joy: :rofl: :joy:

6 Likes

Heh my suspicion is that they’re re-posting archived articles w/ current dates. The authors are prob paid w/ “exposure”. (See The Oatmeal’s take on “exposure”)