Chinese Slicers: CCK stainless steel slicer, CCK carbon steel slicer, SBZ carbon steel slicer

Many thanks. I did some on CKTG in the mid 100s. I doubt they would be materially different. Not sure if I’ll ever get one, but if I do it would probably be the CCK light carbon steel one. It would largely be for my wife who has never really clicked with the claw grip. It seems the added height would help in that regard. Plus, she really likes sharp, thin, and light knives Personally I am in a great place with my chef’s knife.

CKTG price for CCK is reasonable (for $80). Moreover, you can ask Mark to check the knife before sending out. Like many Asian made knives (even Japanese), handles are their weaker point when compared to French and German knives.

I feel a wider blade knife is safer, and that is rooted from the fact that I can keep the knuckles (or fingers) higher on my guide hand to guide the knife blade. The knife can go up and down without slipping pass the guide hand knuckles. If your wife does not use some kind of a claw grip, then I am not sure if the wider blade will help.

That being said, I totally understand your wife. Initially, it was unnatural for me to use the claw grip – because the claw hand is not a natural way to hold things down.

This is a knife sharpening photo. I have played with different ways to hold knife. One way is to hold the food down using four fingers of the non-claw hand while sticking out my index finger in mid air to guide the knife.

When I get home, I will see if I can take a photo.

1 Like

Yeah, if you’re teaching a kid to claw, you want that wide blade. Now she claws and cuts beautifully. And, if the blade dulls, she can get er sharp.

@Vecchiouomo I put a couple of photos to illustrate my earlier point. Apology if you already understood. What I mean is that: typically, we use the knuckles of our claw hand to guide the knife.

Yet, a claw hand is not nature for many people, and can be less security in holding down a small piece of or slippery food.

With a wide blade knife, I have the option of holding down the food with a regular hold with four fingers, and then lifting one finger (usually index finger) to guide the knife. We can do this for any knife, but I find it is much easier for a wide blade knife.

6 Likes

Thanks. I often use a claw. BTW I just came across this one:

Nice. You thinking? Or just looking?

Just came across It and thought I’d share it. I like their other knives.

Another sharpening technique I like is to hold the blade at the desired angle placed lengthwise on the stone and use a gentle oval motion. I find it very easy to maintain a consistent angle up and down the edge.

1 Like

After years of CCK’s Fook Kee, and Dexter Russell cleavers…I broke down and bought a Sugimoto Carbon Steel #6 cleaver. Oh my goodness…it’s a whole other beast and an animal.
I’m loving it.

2 Likes

Is it you, wabi? I thought you said you like Sugimoto, but not loving it. Just to be clear, at this moment, which one you like the best?

Chem…I’ve been seduced by really good Japanese knives, and gone to the dark side. I’ve been using the Sugimoto and yes, I really do like it…The fit and finish and the cutting ability is just that much nicer. I’ve also been changing my EDC knives as well. The Kiwi’s are still always on the counter, but I’ve been slowly adding a few Watanabe’s Shibatas and Konosukes to my gyuto, nakiri and petty knife collection. The Sugimoto and the Watanabe’s are work horses…but oh my goodness, the Shibata, Konosuke, and a lone Yoshikane are light sabers. It’s like using a well seasoned carbon steel pan or wok…food just flies. Either I am delusional about using good equipment, and myself…or using good equipment, and really concentrating on basic cooking skills now that I am mostly retired… has really made a difference in my results.

Good to hear. They do look like. I think I accidentally mix you up with another person or something. Someone bought a Sugimoto, like it, but not love it. Good to hear about all these wonderful knives. By the way, what is a “EDC” knife?

Not sure if you mean me? I have a Sugimoto sf4030, which is basically the #6 wabi has but one size smaller. Same steel and all. It is indeed a workhorse, medium thickness, still cuts well. My only issue with it is that it loses sharpness relatively quickly, but that is to be expected from a white carbon. Also means it’s quicker to get it sharp again.

Only other person here who has a Sugimoto, I think, is pertti.

Oh yes. It is you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

EDC is Every Day Carry.

1 Like

Man. How comes you know his abbreviation?

1 Like

What is love?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(baby don’t hurt me)

I guess the ideal knife would be the Sugimoto SF4030 but then with the Watanabe stainless clad blue #2 steel… :star_struck:

Nice patina on my Sugimoto (second from the right).

You are right. For some reasons, most of the Chinese knives (made by Japanese knifesmiths) are based on white steel. Well, I guess more knives in general are made by white steel over blue steel. I think Takada and Moritaka do make their knives in blue steel in general. I suppose there is a reason why some people prefers white steel.

I see your other post with the photo. Nice looking Sugimoto. I think I also see the thick blade cleaver (look thick in the photo).

Here. Watanabe makes all the existing Chinese knives with white steel… Considering that he knows how to work with both white steel and blue steel, I wonder if most of his customers just like white steel for Chinese knives.

1 Like