Chinese Slicers: CCK stainless steel slicer, CCK carbon steel slicer, SBZ carbon steel slicer

Don’t worry. They are very study. In fact, when I was young (and adorable), I emailed Dexter. They said that their knives go through pull test.

When you are at a restaurant supply store, take a look.

1 Like

Love to check them out. They look like my first cleaver. I just have one too many cleavers weighing down my knife drawer right now. Dexter boner is my next knife, me tinks.

The flexible one or the stiff?

Bent. No, this will be a very stiff knife. I use a fillet knife for flex. DEXTERity.

Dexter is going to love you for that Dexterity statement.

I see two traditional (wood) handle ones. Is one of them you are planning to get? I believe I have the one on the left.

rigid is the word.

I was just looking over Wusthof. They have removed a few lines and launched a few new one. Are you a farmer? Because if you are, you need to get the Urban Farmer knives
WÜSTHOF Urban Farmer Series - WÜSTHOF - Official Online Store (wusthof.com)

A 7" machete, eh? That’s tiny. I have no idea what purpose they intend for this product. Must just be for the “urban” farmer, meaning gardner. I worked on an urban farm and never saw a mchaete

I know the greatest urban farmer around, though.

https://farmerwillallen.com/about-will-allen/

I worked on Will’s farm for two summers, ages 14 and 15. I learned a ton about producing the finest vegetables there are. Busted a@@ in his fields. Will was a huge influence on my life. This man is enormous. When I first shook his hand, it just enveloped mine. I pray he’s well.

He is why I eat raw sweet corn, grow okra, among other habits he instilled in me.

Not ironically, but this was the period in my life when I got the wok/cleaver set that started me out. It broke my heart when the tang came out of that cleaver handle. Then, the Kiwi entered my life, for good.

Cleavers are good first knives, IMHO. My daughter started out with a pretty safe cleaver. She can really go through the veg.

1 Like

What does a pretty safe cleaver out mean? Like the cleaver is pretty-safe? Or the cleaver is both safe and also pretty?

1 Like

I think the space one gets with a cleaver, because of the wide blade, helped her focus on where to cut the onion, carrot. She could claw and cut easily, and developed appreciation for sharpening. Loves a sharp blade. She fell in love with sweeping it all up with the cleaver. It’s a very addictive knife that I think is a great starter for kids. Maybe not little kids. It’s what got me started/hooked.

Saltydog used to have many Youtube videos for demonstrating his knife skill and his kitchen knife experience. He is through and through a gyuto knife (Chef’s knife) guy. However, when he tested CKK thin blade slicer, he said the wide blade made him feel it is a safer knife.

I believe that, just from watching my daughter grow with blades. Now, she has graduated to the Kiwi line. Just signed a contract for her first job as a professional. Teaching, so she won’t be paid shit; but I’m proud of that girl.

1 Like

Oh Lardie, there is some great jokes in there.,

2 Likes

Your daughter is now teaching cooking?

Why, whatever do you mean? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I know what you did last summer.

1 Like

So, Chem. The reviews are terrific. Are there any other carbon steel, light weight cleavers you really like (nothing at crazy prices would interest me, but I always enjoy comments on true gems for comparative purposes)?

No, she’s teaching four year olds their ABCs. Teaching is just a ruse to get recruits for her gymnastics program.

1 Like

You sure teaching is not ruse for her to play with kiddos?

1 Like

Thanks. CCK makes nice thin blade Chinese knife. I have not run into quality brands at a lower price point, but there probably are. CCK knives are about $80 in USA for many stores – used to be cheaper. Some restaurant supply stores sell a little bit lower at $60-70. The same knives can be bought cheaper in Asia, but in North America, these are the standard price ranges.

1 Like