CHINESE - Cuisine of the Quarter, Winter 2021 (Jan-Mar)

Beef stew with carrots

9 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I’m actually happy for Chinese being the pick, and hope to contribute! I confess nominating Belgian, and voting for Greek, when it looked like Chinese was not in fact going to be a contender…surprise!

FWIW, will nominate Greek for 2nd quarter, think that would be good timing, which would coincide with Greek spring holidays, and feast foods. Yum.

4 Likes

Comfort food elevated to living room appetizer: Savory egg custard
This recipe works, especially process description. I substitute low sodium chicken broth for water. Served warm.

8 Likes

Dumplings… must be one of my top favourite Chinese things to eat!

I don’t know how to make complicated pleating and shapes but I’m happy with these.

More dumpling ideas? Here are some I ate on my 3 trips to China. (watch full screen, click on button in right corner)

7 Likes

I made some zhajiangmian “fried sauce noodles” a dish from Shandong province that is also popular in Korea

I followed a recipe from All Under Heaven: Recipes from the 35 Cuisines of China by Carolyn Phillips that includes cubed eggplant. Came out pretty good.

13 Likes

Chicken chow mein last night. Not something I have cooked before and only really eaten when I was in Nepal or northern India. Very good for using up the vegetables I had hanging around.

9 Likes

Teochew-style steamed fish with salted plums in brine, sour/preserved mustard greens, shiitake, and tomatoes. Normally whole fish is used but I had skate wings on hand.

I just remember I made this a few months back. Nyonya (?) duck soup with sour mustards.

I didn’t eat it as a soup. I ate the solids separately and sipped the broth on the side.

7 Likes

Looks awesome! But I still consider it a Korean dish :wink:

1 Like

That’s a beautiful presentation, @pilgrim!

I love steamed eggs - this is the recipe I started with (very similar in tips and proportions to the one you linked, which I also had saved as it turned out). I appreciated the helpful tips for the way I like the custard - silky smooth and just-set, without bubbles.

Minor modifications today - some bouillon powder instead of broth, and a single serving from 2 eggs. It did take me almost twice the time (checking the jiggle after 6 mins and then every 2), but when it was done it was perfect!

And I loved the idea of cutting through in a lattice pattern.

Topped with sesame oil, chilli onion crunch, and scallions. A lovely Sunday brunch! (And SO much lighter than its close relative, the quiche…)

11 Likes

Your presentation is nice too. Love Chinese steam eggs and egg tart but hate quiche. Don’t know the reasoning behind this. Maybe I don’t like bad quiche.

1 Like

My own Frankencreation – it’s like the unfortunate result of Yangzhou fried rice having a torrid one night affair with Peruvian fried rice without, ahem, protection.

8 Likes

Simple enough, zha jiang Mian is Chinese, Jja jang myeon is Korean Chinese! They are distinct enough from each other that you can draw a pretty clear line.

3 Likes

I LOVE your creation! Next time… Many thanks for the nudge.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of steamed egg, especially with pork. I first had it in Bangkok. I tried making it at home but not very successfully. I was a bit dubious about the amount of liquid to egg in the recipe I tried. It seemed too much and it didn’t turn out very well. This looks a better recipe.

1 Like

It’s a LOT of liquid per egg - twice by volume.

But that’s what yields a delicate custard.

@naf I think that’s the quiche difference too - most of them use a much lower (“safer” to set) proportion of liquid to eggs. But my favorite quiche is also a high liquid version, from Thomas Keller - 2/3c liquid per egg. Very delicate custard, like this one. The other peeve I have with quiche is “too much stuff” - I like more custard, less stuff, and many of them are mostly stuff with just enough custard to bind. And cheese. Too much cheese.

This actually reminded me to make the TK quiche recipe again, so I’m baking it as we speak. But crustless and without the right pan, because… I don’t have it here.

2 Likes

What resources do folks rely on for Chinese recipes?

I often refer to the Woks of Life and China Sichuan food websites.

Then there are the Fuchsia Dunlop books, but I don’t always have all the ingredients - or the patience - for them.

i fondly remember Yan Can Cook - think one of the books is somewhere around here. And Ken Hom too from the UK.

3 Likes

Mom.

6 Likes

Tonight I made Chinese-American takeout style pepper steak over quick brown rice. I started with a recipe @gcaggiano recommend and tweaked it heavily:

-subbed skirt steak sliced thinly on the bias, against the grain, for the flank steak
-velveted the meat: marinated it with Chinese rice wine, soy sauce, corn starch, minced white onions, and black pepper and cooked separately until just barely pink
-added minced scallion and feathered white onion
-subbed yellow pepper for green
-reduced the sugar
-flashed the pan with Chinese rice wine after stir-frying the aromatics
-added dark soy sauce, chicken broth, a pinch of gochugaru, and a little veggie BTB to the sauce mixture. Plus a drop of liquid smoke to mimic wok hey.

It was actually really good! Like takeout, but better.

9 Likes

Looks awesome! May make this tonight!

1 Like