Chinatown seafood dinner - advice please [Chinatown, NYC]

Trying to decide among Fuleen, Oriental Garden, Ping’s, or somewhere else.

Small group of 5 or 6, don’t want to break the bank but want to order lobster and fish, plus a couple of other things to complete the meal.

Any recent experiences or advice?

Also curious what a lobster order costs in Chinatown these days - would be good to know before the check hits.

Thanks!

Haven’t been to Fuleen in years, but it was always good whenever we went. Oriental Garden is also very good, but it can easily get very expensive, depending on what you order. We had a great meal at Wu’s Wonton King last year. It might fill the bill.

Thanks for the feedback - any recommendations at Wu’s?

Sorry, I cannot remember what it was that we ate, but there were 5 of us, and everyone liked everything. One thing we had was meat-filled dumplings. I do remember that we should have ordered two portions!

Their shrimp dumplings are excellent. I liked the oysters with ginger and scallion as well, although I haven’t had this dish enough times to know whether Wu’s version is better than average.

Did you go already? I probably would have tried going to Cafe Hong Kong, but I think they have only one table that seats that many people, maybe two tables. I like Congee Village, but their fish and seafood are very expensive, so I nowadays steer clear of those there. In short, I don’t know what I’d advise you, but I’d like to know where you went and how it was.

Too late for you, but I want to say that Wu’s Wonton King is not bad. Their wonton is interesting (during lunch) and their seafood dishes (dinner) are pretty good too. I love Congee Village. Both places can get busy.
I also like Bite of Hong Kong, and XO Taste.

Bite of Hong Kong is a place I’ll have to check out.

泰仁軒 Bite of Hong Kong.

I like it quiet a bit. It has a really good balance of price and quality. The first time, I remember getting a live lobster and a beer for $30.

The place can be semi-crowded, but not crazy crowded like Congee Village. Wu’s Wonton King is great too. Have fun.

Oh my. I must be losing it. We ate at Bite of Hong Kong two years ago. I simply forgot the name.

Oh good. So you have been there. Of all the Manhattan Chinatown restaurants, I like Noodle Village the most because I love their wonton (no other reason) – which is getting off topic because this is not about seafood.

We ate at Noodle Village last year, but I don’t think we had their wonton. Now I’ll have to make sure to try them.

The best Hong Kong/Cantonese wonton I have had in North America – including San Francisco, Los Angles, Toronto…etc. Of course this is very subjective and sometime their quality can go up and down a little, but overall very good. Have fun.

“The Best Overall: Noodle Village…”

1 Like

This is serious! If seriouseats likes it, we’ll have to return. We’ll be in the city at the end of September. I’ll report on how we liked it.

Went already, but had to move the dinner uptown bec of guest constraints. Went to Han UWS, excellent meal again.

Saving these suggestions for another meal soon!

Thanks! Lots of places to check out soon… appreciate all the suggestions!

I’m totally unfamiliar with that restaurant. How would you describe their cuisine?

Han Dynasty is Sichuan/Szechuan. Originally from philly, but there are two locations in Manhattan.

17 Mott street “WoHop”…located downstairs…
I have been eating there for 46 years…
Straight forward food, and also great seafood…
Don’t miss their wanton soup…
Check them out on Trip Advisor…each time I visit I always meet some one from out of town, and let me know they found it there…

2 Likes

I have had the original Han Dynasty. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it. It is rather popular in Philly.
We also call them Handy Nasty – not sure if you heard of it too.