Chinatown seafood dinner - advice please [Chinatown, NYC]

Haha. I’ve only been to the UWS one. I’ve always enjoyed what I’ve ordered (cumin style, hot pepper, dry pot, etc), but I have also occasionally been with friends who ordered generic dishes (WHY?) - I just avoid eating that food, which looks sub-par vs generic dishes available elsewhere (lo mein, fried rice, etc).

One of the first places I ever ate in NYC, and one of the places Mr Rat and I ate at on our first date. Very very old school NYC Chinese place, 24 hours, a favorite of night people like cops and firemen and EMTs and clubbers. I love it, it’s a real landmark.

2 Likes

Oh, one of their locations is or was on 3rd Av. in the East Village. And now I remember I’ve been to the Upper West Side location, too. It’s on 85 St. between Broadway and Amsterdam, if I remember right. Their food is OK, though I think it was a bit on the salty side.

About Wo Hop, I hope the recommendation is controversial here. I stopped agreeing to be taken there some time ago, because the food that I tried there tasted terrible.

Well, when you go to Han Dyansty website (http://handynasty.net/), it is not difficult to notice that the address can also be read as Handy Nasty.

When I first noticed this, I went around telling people, but most people told me that they already knew. :sweat_smile:

It isn’t a bad place. One thing people really like is Han Dynasty menu. It is organized much more like a typical Western restaurant menu.

1 Like

I have read, though I don’t remember where, that quality has improved lately.

Back in 1972…after a night of partying, and having the munchies, it always hit the spot.
My daughters who are in their mid 30’s wanted to take me for Father’s day a year ago but I declined and settled for our annual FD’s barbecue…

That does not stop us from meeting up on a moments notice…it is now a family tradition with some great memories… “I think that is what food is about”.

1 Like

We went to Noodle Village tonight and I had the Wonton Soup. It was good, but since I don’t have a lot of experience with wonton soup, I had nothing to compare it to. It did leave a slight MSG aftertaste, but not too bad. Overall we enjoyed the meal.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear. It shouldn’t have any MSG in it. It sells itself as a MSG free restaurant. A properly done wonton stock should not need any MSG, as it can acquire its umami from the dried fish stock. Maybe another place for you. Have fun.

It’s not that I think that MSG is going to give me a headache or other ills. I just don’t like the taste when too much is used, as is so often the case. And I don’t like the aftertaste. As for restaurants being MSG-free, I remember a restaurant in Boston several years ago that also was proud of being MSG-free. “We don’t have any MSG in the house!” But they had something else with the same effect and the same aftertaste. I suspect that the same is the case with Noodle Village.