Chinatown at Dundas and Spadina, and the Baldwin Village[Toronto]

Favourite restaurants, dishes, updates.

Has anyone tried Rua de Macao? I’m interested in the Macanese dishes.

This Taiwanese tea shop Chicha San Chen has a little patio with heaters, unusual in Chinatown.
Chicha San Chen IG

I tried the Hainanese chicken at a little Mandarin restaurant called Soya Kitchen on Baldwin in the Baldwin Village.

Has anyone tried Dahu Hotpot at 47 Baldwin ?

HanBingo, Korean Desserts at 397 Spadina

1 Like

I love Baldwin Village! Two spots I have photos of:

Carbonic Coffee is a fantastic little cafe that does Hatch & Angry Roaster bean coffees by day, wine and cocktails by night - lots of seating and an overall warm vibe.

Koh Lipe Thai is a classic in Baldwin, especially popular for those on the keto/low-carb diet as they do konjac noodle versions of their dishes. (Sorry my photo’s not the best staged, was enjoying!)

Would pass on: Smoque n’ Bones BBQ, had 2 very subpar BBQ experiences there, and DZO Viet Eatery around the corner across from AGO is more style/Instagram/social media over food quality.

1 Like

Thanks!

I like Omai on Baldwin, which has a nice little patio in the summer months. The patio is not open yet.

On Baldwin, Kinton remains a favourite for ramen. I also like the cream buns at Hattendo.

In the Spadina-Dundas area, I’ve gone to Swatow since the late 80s. King’s Noodle is also pretty good, but we prefer Swatow overall. We also remain fans of Mother’s Dumplings.

We haven’t tried the Yi Jin Chang Fen location on Spadina, but really liked the one at Warden and Steeles - it specializes in chang fen, those rolled supple ribbons of rice noodle served at dim sum.

We haven’t been to Anh Dao in several years, but always enjoyed it. The Vietnamese crepe is a dish we enjoyed there that we haven’t seen anywhere else.

Sky Dragon is decent for dim sum.

1 Like

Swatow
Rol San
Krispy Kreme

2 Likes

What’s good at New Ho King?

Despite it being a restaurant, it’s not really known for the food itself. It’s popular for “cold tea” after the bars close (wink wink nudge nudge) and being open until 4:30 AM on Fri and Sat nights, hence the mention in the rap song.

2 Likes

Ah okay. lol.

See, my age is showing. Hahaha

Out of the current places in business on Spadina, I’ve only dined at Swatow, Sky Dragon, New Sky, Rol San and Anh Dao.

I have also been to Wok Theory on Dundas twice. The last time was awful. My friend let the owner and chefs know about some bad experiences and apparently it’s improved since I complained to him.

The only place I’ve dined more than 5 times are Swatow and Rol San. I’ve probably dined at Rol San 20 time over the past 20 years, which puts it in my top 10 most frequented restaurants in Toronto.