China: 3rd stop. Guangzhou

Dinner at an Islamic hole in the wall. Must be “authentic”, no beer!! Many enticing items on the menu drew us in anyway.

Complimentary cup of Lamb Broth was a nice start with a great lamb flavor.

Lamb with Green Onion expertly stir fried. Onions were almost sweet and the sauce was light yet flavorful. Great flavors to go with rice.

Ding Ding (chopped) Hand Pulled Noodle. Fresh noodles with a nice chew. Chopped to one inch sized lengths and fried with Lamb and veggies.

Grilled Fish Crusted with LOTS of Spices, cavity stuffed with garlic paste. Glad we tried this prep, but my personal taste tends towards less spice.

We picked 3 types of vegetables for the grill. Chili’s (Serrano?). Chives. Mushroom. Well grilled, but again, overly seasoned for my palate.

Will try to return and sample more of the menu. We’ll stay away from the more heavily spiced options the next go. The Lamb Offal is definitely a must try.

7 Likes

OMG, the chives.

I was also in Guangzhou, at the end of the trip, from where I took the train back to HK. 2007. Hope you are going to eat lots of dim sum. It’s cheaper than in HK and variety is even bigger.

We broke a cardinal rule last night and had dim sum for dinner. “Forgive me for I have sinned”.

Our hotel is surrounded by eateries big and small. Food courts galore. A smattering of food carts and roving venders doing best to evade the food (license) police.

Dw HAD to have Cheung Fun, so we built a base of three types: Egg, Fish and Beef.

Then we “buffet’d our way up/down the street and bought on spur of the moment impulse.

New Mai Gai (Leaf wrapped sweet rice). Ha Gow. Chinese Hamburger. Fried Rice stuffed Chicken Wing. Gnow Jop (Braised Beef Offal). Beef Noodle Soup.

A couple bottles of our “when in Asia” favorite cab, Los Vascos. A Chilean collaboration with Domaines Lafite Rothschild. After 10 days out, nice to recoup in the comfort of our room.

7 Likes

Badass stuffed wings!

3 Likes

Just might have to have these also, before we leave. Same stand.

5 Likes

Out of curiosity how’s the pork prices in China now with the whole African swine fever going around?

Come to think of it, have not had any pork since we’ve been here. Have seen siu yuk available though. Will order some soon.

Also seen raw pork in wet markets, but have not had occasion to ask the prices.

I am surprised how low food prices are overall. It’s still like the good old days when one can go into just about any restaurant and not worry about the prices.

On the sweet side.

Walked by this young man mortaring fresh roasted Sesame Seeds with a huge pestle. Couldn’t resist. Got the Black Sesame Dessert. Creamy with a nutty fresh roasted taste.

Ducked into Lotus Delight to get out of the rain and get a bite and a cool beverage. Couldn’t wait to get to Hong Kong to satisfy my Pineapple Bun craving. No slab of chilled butter?!?! DW had Garlic Toast, she don’t do sweets.

Sweltering weather calls for Mango Ice. In addition to the usual accoutrements, Be Yellow’s had some Ikura (salmon egg) size and shaped balls. The texture and pop were very ikura-like, but slightly sweet, not savory.

No trip to Asia in hot weather is complete without a hand pulled Ice Cream from this international purveyor. Coconut ice cream on a very crisp cone.

3 Likes

What are the wings & squid stuffed with - glutinous rice?

The wings were stuffed with fried rice, assume the squid stuffed with same.

This style wing is available in pretty much every night street market in Taiwan. I believe this stand in Guangzhou labels theirs as Taiwanese.

1 Like

Don’t worry with our president in chief the yuan will continue to devalue :roll_eyes: and the cheap items will continue. Though any fears on food safety? I’m still bemused that parallel trading continues.

Fried or sticky?

Yeah, rmb at 7 year low. Food cost so low that exchange effect is negligible. For 15 days of mainland hotels, now that saves a few bucks on rate arbitrage.

Back home, wife is resolute against China Origin foodstuffs. Here in China, any fears have all been forgotten.

From what little we’ve seen, sanitary standards are higher than, for comparison, Hong Kong now. The streets are certainly better maintained and cleaner, though not so much in Guangzhou. Seems like the entire freak’in city is one big continuous construction zone. Should be hella nice after many of these projects are completed in a few years.

The wings are stuffed with fried regular rice, not sure short or long grain.

1 Like

I’d go there just to have this. Yum.

2 Likes

Hongxing Seafood Yidu Bird’s Nest & Shark’s Fin Restaurant can only be described as a seafood palace. Hongxing is located on the river walk of the Zhujiang (Pearl) River in Guangzhou.

We came in search of Chinese Sashimi, a dish I’d first had many many moons ago. A Hong Kong colleague had introduced this raw fish presentation to me when we’d visited his grandma’s village in the countryside somewhere in the south of China. I’d forgotten about this until a few years ago, and with the advent of Google, learned this was a Shunde speciality.

Our seafood curator :slight_smile: told us the Hainan Red Grouper was the fish for our Shinde raw fish meal. We picked a 850gr specimen, and my wife had a brief discussion and decided on the prep of the sides.

Started with a Pu’er and Chrysanthemum tea service.

Bok Choy Miu (shoots). Super tender and sweet.

Shunde Grouper Sashimi. A bit fancier presentation than I had in my friend’ village, but the ingredients were more/less the same. The fish slices are best with Chef’s special sauce. Soy sauce with some uber hot wasabi also provided.

One mixes the fish/ingredients/sauce proportioned to one’s preference in a rice bowl or plate. Have at it!

Salt and Pepper tidbits and bones of the Grouper. A nice complement to the Congee.

The Congee (Jook) simmered with a bit of Grouper meat and Skin. Very lightly seasoned ala Cantonese, good foil for the other courses.

A thoroughly satisfying meal that truly hit the sweet spot. I’m so gonna try to prepare something similar when I get some good fresh fish back home.

6 Likes

That red one reminds me of those red coral trouts that costs way too much lol.

But wow that looks like a fantastic meal. I’ve seen the sashimi prep at a few bay area places but never really went out to try it. Does the shude style seem different in taste than some Japanese sashimi preps?

I’m mislabeling the Shunde fish as sashimi, as the only similarity is the fish is raw. The Shunde is more like a fish salad with subtle contrasts and complementary textures and flavors. My wife wanted to mix the whole shibang together and pig. I wanted to try different bite combinations of garlic, cilantro, Thai chili, dill with varying amounts of sauce.

Ate the 1st half my way, the rest her way.

The seafood here is so fresh and lively, comparable to the impressive stuff we experienced in Busan. A few examples.

6 Likes

Dim Sum at a classic Cantonese Yum Cha restaurant. No English name, let alone any business cards or brochures. Best I can do to placemark:

Pu’er and Chrysanthemum tea service. A multi pot ritual that pulls the Yum Cha experience together.

For us, Dim Sum means Ha Gow and Siu Mai.

A house specialty is Golden Sand Sea Shrimp Red Skin Rice Roll. Juicy shrimp stuffed in youtiou (Chinese Crisp) wrapped in a rice roll.

Managed to be bouncy, crispy and silky tender at the same time. Well played.

Black Silky Chicken Coconut Soup served in a Coconut Shell. Tasty enough, bit gimmicky for my taste. Should be good for health.

Lo Bak Goh. Turnip Cake. Obviously freshly Housemade, bursting with turnip. Very comfort foody.

Soy Sauce Chicken Paws. Was not “fall off the bone” tender as is common back home. Good for me, I like to gnaw the morsels of tendon, gristle and skin off the bone.

Soy Sauce Cheong Fun and Sampan Jook rounded out lunch. We may have over ordered, per usual.

9 Likes

Excellent price! does the Hainan grouper taste like the e.g. Australian coral trout?

What would be a good substitute back home? I have not identified a close enough substitute to coral trout, yet.

Chile Alaskan crab? :grinning::grinning:

How does the dim sum compare to HK?

Anguilla?

The Shunde sashimi reminds me of the SE Asia CNY prosperity dish “Yee Sang / Yushang

It’s been so many years since I’ve seen that coconut chicken soup. I do feel the coconut does a good of infusing the soup with coconut essence.

2 Likes

I forgot to look for it in HK last year. Not sure if they still hand-grind it these days (in HK).

Feeling nostalgic going through old photos. It was not long ago but many parts of China we visited were still primitive. This street cart was outside the hotpot restaurant where we just had a long and big hot pot dinner. And still found room to eat a cup of sesame soup on the way back to our lodging.

In Macau, as part of breakfast (rice porridge and fried dough)

And again a week later. What’s the story behind the dramatic looking kettle?

4 Likes