China: 3rd stop. Guangzhou

Shunde Raw Fish 2.0.

Ate at restaurant that specialize in this prep. Walked in, pass a bunch of vigorous fish in tanks, dudes plating fresh fish to be whisked upstairs. Oh yeah, right place!!

We ordered the Special for FOUR (for the two of us). Plus Shrimp and Jellyfish appetizers. Shrimp was super fresh with a great snap and light brine. The heads served deep fried on the side.

Nose to Tail dining. Fish Skin Marinade. Fish Bones Deep Fried. Fish Collar and Tail steamed w/Black Bean. Fish Intestines in Egg, a personal favorite.

The main event. The Belly (Toro, in Japanese speak), perfect with the Shunde accomplishments.

Followed by three huge portions of freshly carved wafer-thin Fish on Ice.

Also served with a large bowl of Fish Congee. Only had room for one tiny rice bowl portion.

My wife finally caved: if She can’t beat-’em join Him.

Even money says we’ll be back for round two for our final Guangzhou dinner tonight.

6 Likes

… >_> why substitute when you can buy the real thing! I saw one swimming about at Grand Harbour this weekend.

Does the tomato do anything besides being edible? I recall in Toronto at a place called Dragonboat fusion that they steamed a whole shrimp with the dumplings, just thought it was for the whole fusion element. Was there any super new dim sum item that we don’t see in the bay?

1 Like

Not quite sure. Think it heats from the inside by inserting hot coals in the center chamber.

The Chinese characters describe the various “soups” that are specialty of the Guilin region.

1 Like

We both agreed that the cheaper freshwater carp like fish was actually better than the expensive Grouper.

The second restaurant actually specializes in the Shunde prep, the slices were paper thin. Every table had the round raw fish trays, they surely know what they are doing.

The 1st restaurant actually offered Salmon for the Shunde option, but the wife does not care for salmon much. I don’t think using super expensive fish like Grouper or Coral Trout makes for a superior dish.

I’m gonna experiment a bit when I get home. I think Hamachi (Yellowtail) should work great, maybe some fresh flatfish like Halibut.

3 Likes

We only ate dim sum a couple of times this trip. Only dish new to me was the Shrimp in Youtiou Rice Roll wrap. I can’t read Chinese, so couldn’t learn what is new and exciting. That’s ok for me, I’m perfectly happy having the classics cooked well.

We did have a Cheung Fun variation: Spam & Egg. My wife has been on an Egg CF kick, this was a logical progression.

I like Spam every now and again, so this works for me.

5 Likes

Those? Reminds me of the fish one at Dragon Beaux or at Koi. I remember eating one that’s not red in Sacramento actually. I’m kinda glad that SF hasn’t fallen off the cliff in terms of new items.

The cheung fun looks good! I’m glad to see that they do the wrap rather than scrunch it up. I was passing by in NYC and saw a few of the rice noodle carts and it just looks messy haha. Dunno, I always thought the wrapping of the rice noodles involves just a little more skill. I don’t really see the egg cheung fun around here though. Are there good places in the bay?

Ha, I can read mountain, heart, and beef lol. I was thinking of anything you caught being eaten at another table.

But appreciating the journey you’re having in Guangzhou. Did you get any double boiled soups?

2 Likes

Never seen or ate egg cheung Fun in the USA. First time was last year in Taiwan. Seems to be available everywhere we’ve visited on this China trip. My wife thinks that the version we had in Taiwan was copied from the mainland.

No double boiled soup yet. We’ve been eating many of our meals at tiny humble shops. We did eat at a great hot pot restaurant tonight. Will post about our meal later.

Beef. It’s what’s for dinner.

4 Likes

Meaning the dim sum you had, they didn’t have pork?

I meant that we didn’t have any meals where Pork was the primary protein. Though that’s not what I wrote, :grimacing:

In response to @Night07 inquiry about current pork prices in China. Took some snaps at a Carrefour. A single sample, not representative of the entire market.

Prices seem in line with USA prices.

3 Likes

Last dinner in Guangzhou and Mainland. Had to be Hot Pot.

Chuanji Chaofa. We were impressed with just about everything. From the efficient courteous staff, the smart layout, impressive open meat cutting display, reasonable prices and selection.

Started with some corn, radish and Beef brisket to tenderize and infuse the soup. The rice noodles usually added towards end of the meal.

Condiments/sauce bar.

Harbin Beer. Cute bottle of Baiju comes well packaged.

My wife ordered the dinner set for four (for the two of us) plus a few supplements. Each plate of meat had a dime sized tag designating the cut, an suggested dipping time.

There was a bowl of slightly bitterr romaine like Vegetable. A serving of dried fujook (bean curd skin) to soak up the broth. Nice meal.

Grand total ¥316 ~ usd$45. Gonna miss eating in China!! :wink:

4 Likes

Price? I was more looking for shops that sell them so I can steam at home though.

Oh nice, was afraid of porkageddon.

Honestly, that’s just brilliant. I think most of the time I just overcook everything in hot pot cause I’m paranoid or its lost somewhere in the bubbling cauldron…

But 45 bucks for two? With that much food? Steal!

Ah ha ha… … I didn’t want to ask the price of that fish due to sticker shock lol. But no, I can’t think of any easily accessible fish at the market that has the same textural qualities as the coral trout.

1 Like

No worries on over cooking. We just shabu shabu quickly and eat our hot pot meats pretty rare.

Food quality and prices are way beyond our expectations. We’ve decided we will explore China more often. Hotels, food are more than reasonable. Taxi fare is downright cheap, no need to take public transport.

1 Like

How does it compare to Taiwan? I recall Taipei to be relatively inexpensive as well

We’ve found Taipei to not be a particularly inexpensive visit. Cheaper than USA, sure. But certain meals and hotels could be 2~3x what we paid these last two weeks.

Granted, Kaohsiung or Tainan could be 30% cheaper than Taipei. Still more than China. I’ll throw up some meals with prices at various locales to give an apples to apples comparison.

1 Like

Nice always cool to see price comparisons between cities and somewhat similar cuisines! Thanks for all the info and safe travels

Original plan was to to end up with five days in Hong Kong.

Wife not too fond of tear gas, water cannons or beat downs by black and white shirts.

Had to divert to Macao. Oh well. 4th installment from the Venetian :macau:.

3 Likes

Hasn’t the announcement of the formal withdrawal of the bill been talked about? Or are there still more incidents?

In any case, grab some portuguese tarts!

Angry HK protesters are not willing to call it quits yet, despite the withdrawal of the bill.

Yikes. Wife was right after all, as usual. :slight_smile:

1 Like