Chilli Con Carne British-style

Fun to watch, thanks! I got a kick from the way the host pronounced tortilla: tor-TILL-a (till rhyming with pill).

Also he intrepidly chopped up bird’s eye chili (Thai chili) to add to his recipe. The ones I get can be extremely hot. I am a heat-seeker who has learned to moderate for the sake of others. When I use bird’s eye chilis, I usually add them to the dish whole and fish them out later.

1 Like

Yep, that’s pretty much a British style chilli. Certainly along the lines of how we’ve cooked it for decades

500g minced beef, onion, garlic, tin of tomatoes, tin of red kidney beans, beef stock, chilli powder. Fry the first three ingredients, add the last four and simmer for an hour.

Sprinkling of fresh coriander on top if we’ve got it in but not worth getting just for this.

3 Likes

Keef really should button one or two, possibly three, buttons on his shirt. Not impressed with his approach to the paper on garlic, but all in all it’s Brit chilli con carne as i remember it. Personally I prefer rice to other options. I like rice. Flatbreads for hand food albeit messy, also not my thing.

2 Likes

This is pretty close to my m-i-l’s classic Montana chili. I usually toss in substantial cumin. Corn bread, elbow mac are traditional accompaniments/inclusions. Or garlic bread. It’s just chili.

3 Likes

For me, chili/chilli is a “refrigerator scraping” meal. What do we have? In it goes.

I’m with you on the buttoning up.

3 Likes

Keef exudes the style of a certain type of Briton.

1 Like

What style is that? Asking as an ignorant American.

1 Like

Not really got a name nowadays. If we were back in the 80s, Keef would be “Medallian Man”, due to the excess of gold chain round his neck. It’s the overly unbuttoned shirt, the overly long hairstyle. Keef is Keef, innit.

4 Likes

I think we had the same unbuttoned shirt and gold chains look here as well back then. Rarely sighted nowadays, thank goodness!

3 Likes

We spend time in Tenerife each year. It’s a great winter holiday place that attracts a lot of Britons (and other North Europeans) of a certain age. Quite a number of them are probably called Keith.

1 Like

In my culinary circles here in the US we’ve moved on from names that start with ‘K.’ Karen and Ken seem to have been replaced with Diane and Dan. Fortunately not Dave. When those names are picked up by MSM and social media my friends will pick new names.

We have chili Mac. No rice. Lots of freshly grated sharp cheddar, chopped scallions and sour cream.

2 Likes

This type of chili with rice is pretty common in Europe generally, in my modest experience. I have a distinct impression that the hardcore US ‘rice is unheard of, and beans might cause a riot’ thing is both regionally varied, and a little bit of revisionism. I was looking at some winning recipes from the ‘chili cookoff’ championships, and it seems that the category divisions – trad red, ‘homestyle’, etc – are relatively recent, and if you go back a bit, there’s all sorts of stuff in there. :slight_smile:

Just don’t tell the Texas state legislature I said so.

Mind you, while I like a mushy pulse as much as the next person, cooking kidney beans for three and half hours seems a tad excessive. I think “bloom the spices at the start, add the beans towards the end” would be more standard moves.

2 Likes