Chili Sauce

I am preparing some fermented chili sauce. Normally in the past, I have seeded the chilies before fermenting. However, I wondered if it would be possible to leave the seeds in. I don’t have a Vitamix, but I would be willing to buy one if it would crush/mix the seeds. I generally have done more of a paste, and have not added much vinegar. So, questions for those of you who make chili sauce: 1. Do you remove the seeds and 2. What have you found to be the most complete blender?

1 Like

I do remove seeds, but try to keep ribs. If an errant seed is in there, whatever. I usually make some form of chile sauce once per week. It’s my ketchup replacement, and I add it to so many things, I can’t live without it.

I just have a cheap Oster blender. Does the trick.

2 Likes

I never remove seeds, placenta and capsaicin glands. Removing these would greatly reduce the heat.

My fermented chilli sauce is coarse.

I prefer scotch bonnets above all but sometimes I do use habaneros.

3 Likes

I never remove seeds.
I use a couple of ways for making a paste:
Pestle & mortar for small amounts
Kitchen machine (food processor) for most coarse pastes
Stick blender for smooth ones
Mouli if I want to get remove skin, peel etc

First 2 are used most often, mouli hardly ever as it is a pain to clean

1 Like

Is this the same as what I call “hot sauce”? It’s made with hot peppers, but doesn’t have the "body* if what I call chili sauce.

This is what comes to mind for me when I think “chili. Sauce”.

22608_XXX_v1

I have made what I call “hot sauce” and I only remove the seeds.

This is the blender I use, although I didn’t choose it because of making hot sauce.

That pic is of a sweet chili sauce.
I know it and find it cloyingly sweet and not hot at all

My sauces are more pastes, more towards sambal.
Sometimes I make something with the consistency of that sweet chili sauce though

Ahh! I always think of sambal bajak (or is it badjak?) when I see your name! You use fresh peppers? What a great idea.

This is my most recent chili ferment.

1 Like

Badjak is the old spelling.
And yes, that’s were the name comes from :slight_smile:

Hard not to recommend a Vitamix after owning one for 7 years. It will have no problem with chili seeds. It even purees the much harder, smaller seeds in blackberries to the point where they are indiscernible.

I make my own tahini from toasted sesame seeds, flour from dried chickpeas and rice, grind things like corn meal, semolina, and masa tamal into much finer textures when needed. Hard to even recall everything I use it for.

I have to admit I had my doubts about one when my last blender died… until a friend convinced me to give them a try (they have a 30 day unconditional free-shipping return policy), and I am now a fan.