Childhood sweet treats

YESSSSSs homemade ice cream from a hand-cranked churn!

3 Likes

add some tang and that’s a pretty good breakfast, healthy way to start your day.

Jeez, how am i still alive?

6 Likes

I still remember sitting on my grandmother’s back porch in rural Ohio working on that - I had a lot of brothers. We took turns cranking that thing. So many years ago, and so many of those people gone now. The most delicious ice cream I ever had.

4 Likes

what a memory :wink:

2 Likes

4 Likes

love em

big fan of

and a quarter would get you a slice of f’ing heaven out of one of those pull out machines

and who could forget this after some sweaty laps at the roller rink listening to Blondie… it was either asteroids or a small slush puppy. tuff call.

4 Likes

I used to get a grape-lime or cherry-lime slush at the mall.

Also loved the non-carbonated grape drink from the fountain at donut shops.

Remember the orange drink at McD’s?

3 Likes

my town was so small we didn’t even have a mcd’s. and later when a bk opened up (replaced a burger chef), I worked there. all the orange drink you want plus $3.35/hr or somethin like that! little cartons of that stuff were all over the place - we loved it. sorta the consolation prize if you didn’t have a quarter for a coke.

2 Likes

White Rabbit Candy

3 Likes

omg spree, haven’t thought about those for ages.

2 Likes

I have no idea what those are! Some kind of candy I suppose. Do they explode? I’m feeling very old…out of the loop. I’ve lived in New England since 1979. The weirdest candy I’ve ever had were Necco wafers, made in Boston. I hate them. Like eating chalk…

1 Like

They’re a fruit flavoured hard candy with a powder that foamed and fizzed in the centre.

1 Like

I remember “cum gum” - not sure of the exact name - of 1970’s vintage. When you bit into it something squirted out into your mouth…

2 Likes
4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Ugh, Id been trying to repress thr Tang memories. My other grandma (not the angel food cake grandma) would make Tang at about 3x the recommended ratio…it was positively syrupy. You know somethingnis wrong when little kids water stuff like that down!

Years later my OB marveled at my ability to tolerate the glucose test syrup…it tasted just like the Tang from my childhood.

Other than that, she was a good cook, too.

2 Likes

The Sky Bar
https://www.skybarcandy.com/about

Made by Necco, incidentally, and resurrected by another company when Necco went belly-up

2 Likes

We went to Ocean City, MD every summer for a week of working-class vacationing. A couple of treats I remember from there:

• salt water taffy. Not only did you have to buy some when you were there, everyone who went brought back some to give away. It was never worth eating, but I ate the crap out of it anyway. I’d try color after color looking for “the good ones,” which did not exist.

• Fisher’s caramel popcorn. Now this was the shit. The stall was on the boardwalk and the smell was intoxicating. Prob the first “salty/sweet” snack I ever had and definitely a gateway to the glories of that flavor profile. You can now buy this by the tub in grocery stores here in suburban PA, and order it online, but I would never. The whole point of this is for it to be fresh!

5 Likes

Lovely…

yep. and the three musketeers used to be three different little bars.

2 Likes