Childhood sweet treats

I miss the Dickie Dee bikes.

3 Likes

Funny you should mention this…
A few months ago, I was sitting in my office and thought I heard “Ice Cream Truck” music. I wasn’t sure and asked my girlfriend if she heard it and she didn’t.
The next day I hear it again… Now I know I’m not losing it. I go outside, look up and down the connecting streets and sure enough there is an Ice Cream Truck!!
I tell Sunshine about it and she grabs her wallet and SPRINTS to the ice cream truck, then purchases some Heath Bar ice cream treat.
She told me the story how when she was a little girl, her mom kept money by the door (in a little dish) and when she heard the ice cream truck, she’d grab some money and go get a treat.
Sunshine continued… that her ice cream truck driver was “Jerry” and he was the only man in her life that ever gave her what she wanted. I was amazed that she remembered his name from over 50 years ago.
Then we took a trip down memory lane as she feasted on her Heath Bar ice cream treat.

10 Likes

oh, yes. With BELLS, not a creepy recorded childmurder tune. My faves, roughly in order

Toasted Almond Bars. they even sold these in the stores for a while in CA. Then I could only find them when I went to visit family in Chicago. Now they have seemingly gone forever. :frowning:

Bon-Joy Swirl - a swirled lemon-raspberry ice, Hard as a rock and impossible to dig into with the flimsy wooden spoon until several minutes has past and the top got melty in the sun.

Fudge bar

Classic orange sherbet pushup

Dixie cup / Drumstick

Eskimo Pie (vanilla icecream bar coated with chocolate)

Ice cream sandwich

snowcone (always frozen too hard to really enjoy, and almost ZERO time when it’s ‘still frozen but edible’. Goes directly from ‘rock’ to ‘sugar syrup leaking out of poorly sealed paper’/

6 Likes

Far earlier than that… all theough the 70s

Oh shoot. There was one like that here in the States but I cant remember what it was called!

1 Like

Man, that sounds really good, greygarious

Oh yeah, Drumsticks! They have various kinds now, but i’m a fan of the originals. Once or twice a year we’ll get a box. They disappear way too fast to make it a regular treat.

And her homemade angel food cake, I’d just about kill for. My mother was a good cook with some weird habits (after the divorce she took to smoking pot and the cooking quality varied considerably) but her angel food cake was absolutely stellar. Now that Mr mr likes martinis we have a resident Cinzano vermouth (extra dry), and I have her old angel food cake pan, I may make some if egg prices drop. Is there a fix for avian flu? I hate the mass bird deaths happening all over the place

2 Likes

I liked cherry popsicles and the ice cream bars on a stick covered in coconut, and later, I think in almonds. I jus the closed my eyes again and saw and heard the truck …

1 Like

Meekah, this post made me jones for cherry popsicles. Good thing it’s in the 50s out or I might run down to Albertson’s and buy some if they have them.

1 Like

LOLl if you can’t find them then cherry Italian ice is a respectable substitute. I don’t even think they’re availing my neck of the woods!

2 Likes

In Uganda we used to get marshmallows from a British company called Pascal’s. They were much better than anything I’ve come across in Canada. This was 50+ years ago. I subsequently found out that the company is no more.

We used to also get chocolate-covered Turkish Delight, also from a British company (can’t remember the name), that was again the best I’ve had.

2 Likes

On behalf of every American child who, upon being exposed to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe that immediately wanted “Turkish Delight”, only to find out that, in fact, it was a gross gummi candy that tasted like your grandmother’s perfume, I must declare that was an INCREDIBLY MEAN trick to play on us all, and makes me think C.S. Lewis was not above some very unChristian pranks on us colonists.

I know rose/violet/lavender/other floral candy is incredibly popular across many cultures, but boy oh boy did it NOT take hold here.

5 Likes

There’s a Turkish Delight candy bar called Big Turk in Canada has a niche market (probably mostly people over 65), and one of the centres inside Bridge Mix is Turkish Delight. I love Bridge Mix. I don’t buy it because I will eat all of it, about 350 g, in 2 sittings.

2 Likes

You may have ALL of mine. I give it you gladly and without reservation.

2 Likes

Eilleen, I can hardly rival your memories of sweet treats!

But there is one that stands to mind. In my small town there was a small confectionary, close to my elementary school, that we kids all just called “The Candy Factory”. They mainly made spun-type lollipops and other stuffs.

Any time we’d stop in there on the way home from school the proprietors were happy to give us little boxed-up free chips of broken lollies etc. And sometimes we’d have enough money to buy an actual lollipop!

3 Likes

I’ve never read the book you mentioned, and am gonna take exception to the generalization. There is a locally made confection here in Washington State - Aplets and Cotlets - which is basically Turkish Delight and seemingly not your gramma’s candy. Made from locally grown apples, apricots and walnuts, it’s been a fan favorite out here with folks of all ages for decades.

5 Likes

My cousin used to send those at Xmas. Delicious!

2 Likes

We usually go through Cashmere at least once every summer, and the A&C factory stop is always a must. :yum:

3 Likes

A holiday gift tradition for generations. I loved the apricot ones and have made the apple variety.

2 Likes

My grandmother’s creamy peanut butter fudge.

Home churned peach ice cream - all of us kids were put to work powering that sucker in the summertime.

Mile high lemon meringue pie. Lemon meringue pie isn’t common in New England for some reason. But I do love Boston Creme Pie. A misnomer in my book - it’s actually a cake. Go figure…

Girl Scout thin mints. I keep them in the freezer and eat them cold and crunchy.

5 Likes