Chicken soup / stock with skin - much more gelatinous?

Admittedly, I use extremely little salt in cooking. Meat naturally contains SOME salt, and with chicken, that’s enough for me. I find most restaurant and commercially-prepared foods too salty.

1 Like

So do I. The fat floats to the top, so if your doc says you can’t eat it, you can skim it off before using.

1 Like

I just sliced up the filets in small pieces without grinding, mine doesn’t like organs nor bones, as a result he needs a bit of can or dry food for taurine. I saw some people could leave the whole thigh for them to deal with. Mine simply will hide the whole piece somewhere or play with it, too messy.

I’ve a neighbour whom her kitty had itchy skin allergy with hairless bare skin. The medicine was so expensive and very unpleasant (extremely bitter) but the allergy was only controlled but still there. My neighbour finally decided to get rid of all the dry food and started raw feed. Miracle, the allergy vanished totally!

2 Likes

i’m the lucky recipient of my friends’ rotisserie carcasses, which i roast @ 450-degrees for an hour, add some chicken feet for the collagen, then cook (covered) in a 200-degree oven overnight. in the morning, i used to add the onion, carrot, fennel trimmings i saved in the freezer and cook for an additional hour.

but last thanksgiving, the carcass took up so much space, there was no room for the veggies, so i skipped them and found the stock had a cleaner flavor that i preferred.

4 Likes

I always leave it on, whether I’m making chicken or turkey soup! Just skim it the next day and you’ve got a very flavorful soup!

3 Likes

Bones will give you lots of gelatin as well

Well of course. But if the skin is on, you also get the additional gelatin from there, which is more than just from the bones.

Very true.

Do you use the skin in other ways. I often cut away excess skin on thighs, scrape out the fat and make chicken cracklings

Yes, my usual thing was to make chicken skin “chips” - either in the microwave or the toaster oven. But now I leave the skin on if it’s chicken legs for soup.

I also like the texture of curries better when the skin is on while cooking (same reason as the stock), but I remove it before serving.

1 Like

I find with thighs most stores leave a bit of excess skin beyond what covers the meat.

That’s what I cut off to make the chips

1 Like