Chicken and waffles (NJ)

Central & Main, in Madison, had excellent crispy fried chicken, with a sweet potato waffle, drizzled with harissa honey.

3 Likes

This doesnā€™t make any senseā€¦ popeyes chicken ainā€™t exactly cheap, I canā€™t see how a restaurant could serve another placeā€™s fried chicken, keep it hot and tasty and turn a profit.

Edit: Finished reading the article and the owner admitted to itā€¦ wow what a clusterfuck of a shit show.

1 Like

Is it actually illegal to do this? Serious question. I have no clue. Obviously it is deceitful to market your own homemade dishes as ā€œin houseā€ recipes, but are there any legal ramifications?

1 Like

Beautiful looking chicken! Is that a pounded out breast? I have to say Drews half bird with jalapeno syrup was probably one of my favorite chicken and waffle dishes. It has unfortunately been a while since Iā€™ve had it.

2 Likes

Thanks cj. Iā€™m not sure if it was a pounded out breast.
Unfortunately Drewā€™s doesnā€™t serve his fried chicken & waffles any more. He replaced it on the menu with pan roast garlic chicken. However, he did have an excellent special, last time we went, of Nashville hot chicken with jalapeƱo coleslaw, jalapeƱo corn bread, hot sauce and cool ranch dressing. It contained the crispy and juicy dark meat thighs, which were much more flavorful than the white breast meat that it used to be served with.

2 Likes

Apparently itā€™s not illegal as long as food safety laws are followed. I searched for that restaurant and apparently they are bringing back the Popeyeā€™s chicken and waffle dish to commemorate the 1 year of the scandal. Good for them I guess.

1 Like

I canā€™t remember the last time (or if ever) I had decent chicken and waffles in New Jersey. Such a simple dish that no one seems to get right. Restaurants tend to not know when to stop, to leave things alone that do not need to be messed with. They add something to the waffle, or coat the chicken in something bizarre. Rarely do you ever even see it paired with maple syrup anymore. Usually its sriracha something or other.

Iā€™m saying it againā€¦Cardinal Provisions in AP has a FANTASTIC chicken and waffles dish.

2 Likes

Hmmmā€¦has anyone tried chicken and waffle pizza? Iā€™m not a papa Johns fan but it seems like an interesting idea.

Business Insider: Papa Johnā€™s is adding a chicken-and-waffle pizza to the menu.

1 Like

Nunzioā€™s in Sayreville has it on their specialty menu. I tried it. I suppose it was alright but they added sliced American cheese to it and that made it just plain gross.

3 Likes

Ugh. That doesnā€™t sound too good.

3 Likes

Because when I am eating chicken and waffles, Iā€™m thinking, this could use a few more carbs.

5 Likes

And cheese. Does chicken and waffles go with mozzarella?

3 Likes