Char-Kol Freehold

Sorry for the delay…a few of us had the filet. Overall everyone liked the filet…it was solid (and would order again), but I’ve had better.

Well, I had a business dinner in the area and we both decided to give Char-Kol a try. My business associated had been here before twice, the first time was shortly after they opened, and he said it was a sh*t show and clearly had a lot of kinks to work out. The second time was much better, which is why he decided to give it a 3rd try. For me as my first time there, I was quite impressed.

First, I would say they must have plans of getting a liquor license, the set up and build out of the space screams bar/lounge/restaurant etc. It’s an excellent build out of a BYOB spot, I honestly can’t see them spending the money they did on the space and not expect the “excess” revenue of alcohol. Regardless it’s a nice space.

Food and service were both excellent. Quick menu:
Apps: Pork Belly - Cold seafood platter (twin lobster tails and shrimp cocktail)
The pork belly was fantastic. Honestly one of the best I’ve had, the skin was so crisp while the inside was almost creamy it was so soft. The cold apps, well how bad can lobster and shrimp cocktail can be? lol

Dinner was porterhouse for two (medium rate) mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts. The steak was EXCELLENT, much to my surprise. The website truly turned me off, I really didn’t hold out much hope for this place and boy was I pleasantly surprised. I’m not sure when this trend of service steaks “rested” and void of their juices etc. started, but I’m not a fan. Personally, I prefer the Luger’s method, served in natural juices and in a butter bath. This isn’t served that way but regardless the steak is excellent.

Mashed potatoes excellent but too smooth for my preference - sprouts were good for sprouts, nothing exceptional about them.

Overall, an excellent meal at $ 260 for two without booze it’s certainly not cheap, but what is these days. If it were closer, I would probably go more often. Definitely suggest it if you are in the mood for an excellent steak in the area, this is the place to try.

10 Likes

You had me at:

You lost me at:

I love your reviews–it’s sort of like watching an episode of “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous”. :grinning: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

5 Likes

Well trust me there are a lot of pizza nights and bologna sandwiches between the high-priced steak dinners. Thank you though for the kind words, hope all is well with you and Mr. Eleeper!

2 Likes

My son and I had a guys night out Friday. As he wanted steak and I remembered NotJrvedivici positive review I made an 8:15 reservation through their website. We were actually seated closer to 8:30. The space itself is very nicely decorated. My main issue is it was incredibly loud. This is always a big turnoff for me. I hate having to shout to be heard.

I ordered the corn chowder soup. Which was tasty. The description mentioned Jalapeño but it was not spicy.

For entrees I ordered the 45 day dry aged cowboy ribeye. I got a side of lobster Mac and Cheese and Brussel sprouts. My son wanted a strip steak and fries so I ordered him the 45 day dry aged strip and his fries. Both steaks ordered medium rare.

When the food arrived we both had ribeyes. As my son was hungry and isn’t that picky he just started cutting into his steak so I didn’t bring it up to the waiter but see my prior comment about how loud the place is.

The steak themselves were excellent. Maybe not Luger or Old Homestead good but this was definitely one of the better steaks I’ve had in NJ. They were both cooked a perfect Medium Rare and had the nice dry aged flavor to them. The Mac and Cheese was fair. It was creamy and had a decent cheese flavor. The Brussel Sprouts were nicely roasted but maybe a tad underseasoned. I am not a French Fry guy but they were pretty good. Thicker than a shoe string but not quite a steak fry they had a good potato flavor.

Would I go back? Not on a Friday night and probably not at all if it’s consistently that loud which is a shame as I really enjoyed my steak and would want the steak again.

Has anyone else who has gone on other nights found it to to be overly loud?

8 Likes

My trip was a Tuesday night and we were maybe 1 of 10 tables throughout the night, no noise issue for me. However with that high ceilings I can see how it would happen.

2 Likes

So after we had finished our dinner my GF & I simultaneously said “That was disappointing “
Originally we wanted to eat at La Cippolina, they were closed.We went around the corner to try Char Kol. Appetizers ordered were the grilled octopus & shisedo (sic) peppers . The octopus came out & it was on a bed of shisedo peppers & covered by a few beer battered huge mushrooms.
I asked if they were combining our appetizers.Upon realizing the redundancy of our appetizer order the waiter canceled the order of peppers & substituted some kind of creamy mushroom dish which neither of us cared for.
Since I was not in the mood for steak I broke my first rule of eating in a steak house.
I ordered the Salmon. It was ok Plated with asparagus & some kind of green risotto, it was ok
She ordered the short ribs and it was not cooked to her liking as she said she wanted it well done.
It was not. Cooked to the Chef’s liking of medium rare.
Didn’t know he was joining us.
She ordered desert which was basically tartufo with cararamel sauce & peanut butter center.
I had an espresso it was delivered luke warm.
No booze as we weren’t prepared for BYOB & expected to drink wine at La Cippolina.
The noise levels were as expected
The parking lot looks like it’s about to be repaved shortly.
Doesn’t matter as I don’t intend to return here
Upon further review of this post the consensus is it wasn’t a bad meal, just not to our liking.

3 Likes

The short ribs were grilled or braised or sous-vide ?

I believe they were cooked in the same oven they cooked the wood fired steaks in but not 100% sure

I’m rethinking my reply .I’m very unfamiliar with cooking methods & correct answer would be I’m not sure how it was prepared

I was just wondering because short ribs tend to be braised (either conventional or sous vide) or grilled and only with sous vide you could make them medium rare. Both other methods would make them well done

2 Likes

Now I was just curious and looked on their menu and some Yelp photos. They serve a braised bone-in short rib over polenta but you said it was medium rare - which is impossible when braised.

1 Like

All I know about this was it was crisp on the outside & very rare on the inside
I’m no chef nor do I care how someone cooks my meat only that it’s done to my liking.
GF specifically told waiter no pink on her short ribs & it wasn’t done to her liking.
I hope this clarifies this discussion. BTW if that bed of “ stuff” was polenta it was terrible. As I said before not a bad meal just not to our liking.