Chain Coffee shops - what do you order? Drinks and/or food.

I could do you the full set on the British difference between high tea and afternoon tea.

1 Like

Aww man, don’t be a pedant, old man! ,:rofl:
You, too, Mr Harters.

The urge to correct has been running strong!

Fairly common for people on this side of the pond to refer to fancy 4 pm scones and dainty sandwich Afternoon Tea as High Tea, even High Noon Tea occasionally. Also fairly common to have someone explain the differences among the afternoon tea, tea (as in supper) and high tea.

Now that I’m pushing 50, I fight the urge to correct, all day long.

3 Likes

My apologies.

Apologize to Olunia, not me! :slightly_smiling_face:

For those who aren’t sure what all the commotion is about:

https://www.travelawaits.com/2743186/high-tea-vs-afternoon-tea/#:~:text=High%20tea%20is%20often%20mistaken%20for%20afternoon%20tea%2C,in%20the%20UK%20offering%20a%20traditional%20high%20tea.

Long Black at Starbucks.

2 Likes

Although it is true that most Hotels offer Afternoon tea at 4pm and call it High tea.
We eat very late 2 to 3 times per week due to our schedules so we have a light evening meal before supper.
I’m not that hungry at 4pm and there are far too many sweets for me.
My boys would gobble it up without complaints and ask for afternoon tea everyday and frankly that’s far too much work for me.

1 Like

My apologies.

This reminds me of a Mick Jagger line. “i got nasty habits. I take at three.”

1 Like

Thank you, I took it as you were looking for me to clarify is all.
I much prefer cream tea to afternoon tea because of my love for scones.
It hits the spot with a nice cup of tea in the afternoon.

2 Likes

Dunkin Donuts here in New England, A medium coffee (milk & 2 sugars) & (if I feel like it) a honey glazed donut. My wife is frequents 2 of their stores-- one in walking distance & one in the “Old Port”. She tells me a medium is currently $2.69 US & a “small” is $2.29.

I only had Starbucks once and that was a long time ago (25 years maybe) & I hated it. It tasted burnt to me. There was a time when Peets was the thing in some places here & that was even more burnt!(there was an ongoing humor thing where the baristas were unable to comprehend “coffee”)

We have a ton of independent coffee houses here in Portland, Maine:
Coffee by Design (our goto and the grandfather of the independents-- 30 years now I think) I’ll occasionally grab a bag of their Costa Rican-- either whole bean or ground if I’m lazy.

Arabica Coffee
Bard Coffee
Speckled Axe Coffee
Tandem Coffee (& BAKERY!)
Yordprom Coffee

They all get high praise from local press & reviewers.

Going to night school at Columbia U in NYC in the mid 70’s I frequented a "Chock Full O’ Nuts" shop. I wonder if any of them exist anywhere today?

In the late 70’s in Kansas myself & 7 or 8 dorm/gaming mates would go to "JB Big Boy’s" (comparable to Denny’s) about midnight & leave about 2 am BUZZING-- bottomless cup of coffee for 25 cents-- think I had 12 one night…what is this caffeine poisoning you speak of? (yes I feel lucky!)

BTW, Going to start a new thread in the beverage forum-- “Supermarket Ground Coffee”)

1 Like

from my fb feed:

3 Likes

Indeed so. I’ve seen London hotels advertising their afternoon tea as “high tea” and have always assumed they were marketing to North Americans.

Not for this thread but, at some point, I may write about British “high tea” from a sociological and historical perspective. As some will know, I am an author in real life with, amongst others, a book about food during the Great War

3 Likes

Thanks. Clarification was my aim.

2 Likes

Tim, I’ve known you long enough to know that you are not one of the ones who stir the pot.
I spent a lot of time on the cookware forum on CH to know that.
You are one of the nicest, kindest people that one could meet and I’m glad that you are here.

P.S. Forgot to mention helpful.

Please do ! I’m very much looking forward to that.

I noticed no one here has mentioned Blue Collar tea.
Aside from Cream tea, it is a nice indulgence time to time.

P.S. back to coffee:
Starbucks - Vente Latte,
Café Dépôt - Cappuccino
Independent shops that roast their own beans - Café au Lait
Anywhere else - Americano

What’s a “blue collar tea”?
I’m picturing mechanics taking a break from repairing Morris Minors and Triumphs and gathering in the break room with grease smudged cups.
I tried looking up the definition but man, are there lots of places named Blue Collar in the US of A.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did mention it above as tea (as in supper).

Tea is what many middle class and working class people call their evening meal. It also can be regional. I personally would not tie it to the Blue Collar, because I know White Collars and Pink Collars who use the term.

It’s not called Blue Collar Tea. It’s called Tea.

Like in Shirley Valentine.

2 Likes

“Blue Collar” tea has alcohol in it.
I add either scotch or whiskey.
My gf’s parents are from England and that is where I first heard about it.
@Harters would probably be able to explain it a little better and shed light on the history.

German’s drink Jagertee with spiced rum with spiced black tea.

Austrian’s drink Jägertee (Jaegertee) with spiced tea, red wine, spiced rum, plum brandy, orange juice, lemons and a splash of sugar.

P.S.
For covenience I buy this Jagertee from Stroh:

2 Likes

That’s a tea I could enjoy :slightly_smiling_face:!

1 Like