Catch of the Day

A recipe that catches your eye that you might want to cook someday (or never)? A thing in a dish that you come across that sparkles some curiosity. Or even a drink, a snack, you’ve consumed that you appreciated. An article on food you’ve read… This thread serves some inspirations hopefully for some. Let’s post something each day.

5 Likes

I start with the first one.

3 Likes

Pretty dramatic! Mine is much simpler but super fun and tasty. My niece clued me in on apple roses.

5 Likes

Oh this can be really good if baked and got caramelized a bit on the top!

I used my torch! We had a ball making them.

Talking about torch! Ever since I saw Street Food Asia Osaka (Netflix), I can’t get this image off, the guy uses a torch and his hand to cook.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed that series! Talk about confidence.

1 Like

One of my local farmers market has a stall that sells nothing but Scotch eggs. They always have several different varieties - and today, for the first time, they had a vegan Scotch egg. A beetroot & pineapple mix replaces the egg. And a cocoction involving barley replaces. the sausage meat. My companion insisted we buy one - and I’m more than happy for her to eat it all. Sounds a vile abomination to me.

4 Likes

I do enjoy Scotch eggs but I’m with you on that version…even as a beet and pineapple fan.

Did she like it?

Personally, I will avoid this vegan version.

Even the color would be lurid! But I’d be down for one bite. You’ll have to let us know how she liked it.

There’s a place near me that serves a vegetarian Scotch egg, coated in falafel instead of sausage. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m game to.

I don’t see how beet and pineapple could possibly stand in for egg, but my imagination isn’t that expansive.

That sounds nothing egg-like… I could have been more generous if they had used potato and something creamy in the middle… but beetroot and pineapple? What is that even?

That sub actually sounds tasty.

I know! I should get over there.

1 Like

I’m imagining that most vegan folks don’t want something egg-like.
The combination sounds pretty tasty to me!

The proliferation - and success - of fake meat and fake egg products may contradict that.

1 Like

Well, my companion tried the vegan Scotch egg and I did get a small taste. It was better than we had imagined. The beetroot was one of those small round ready cooked ones that are readily available in supermarkets, so worked as a physical egg replacement. Couldnt detect any flavour of pineapple. And the replacement with a barley/rusk mix for the sausagemeat was inoffensive.

Not an experience to repeat but actually better than the two different egg/meat ones that we’d also bought. These have always been really nice in the past but there was something oddly rubbery about the texture of the sausagemeat.

3 Likes

I make tea eggs a few times a year so scotch eggs was intriguing. After googling I left disappointed. :disappointed:

1 Like

Every year, around holiday time, I see and cover the NYT’s mushroom Wellington. And I every year, I decide it’s too much work.

Mind you, I’ve never had any kind of Wellington so I suppose I don’t miss what l’ve never had.

I know the recipe won’t be open access for many of you but posting it here anyway.

3 Likes