Catch 19 Red Bank NJ (formerly just Catch)

@gracieggg 80 isn’t exactly a cheap lunch lol, and with only a single drink. So this is a dumb question but did they keep the old catch or is something else going in there?

Also, can you elaborate on that lobster roll? I’m a big fan so I’m curious. What is “insane” about it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not cheap at all! It seemed like the original catch food but in a new setting and with booze. I have no idea what makes it insane. Maybe that it was on croissants?? My husband said it was just ok. I’m not in a big hurry to go back.

“Thanks for taking one for the team” doesn’t capture it. UGH!!!

Well listen, I had a steak and raw bar items the steak was very good so who knows there is certainly hope for the place.

Let’s recap:
Service issues.
Service issues.
Service issues.
DJ.

3 Likes

So I was going thru my pocket and found my receipt from Catch, and remember the double stuffed potato that I didn’t order…well there it is @ $6.00!

Oysters were $3.50 each which is typical pricing for a place like this.

(side note though, I had 2 martini’s and a sambuca that aren’t on the check so it worked itself out)

1 Like

That is interesting. I wonder if the server just confused your order and put a potato on there. It is nice that you got a drink or two for free.

So when I went they had this “duo” band and I actually liked their music. They weren’t incredibly loud but it was a little too much for downstairs. They could have toned the volume down a little. I still don’t think the music fit the venue but I liked it. They did sone really cool Floyd renditions. I’m not sure how hip hop night would go over with me.

My drink order did take a while to get and it wasn’t packed up at the bar as I waited for my table. Drinks are NYC expensive and I had a nice agave cocktail that was quite tasty. I think $14 and my friend had a kettle martini as we waited.

Some positives…

My server was pretty good. It took a while for the bread to come out but I didn’t ask. It came around the time we dusted off the tuna carpaccio app. This app definitely has less tuna than the old app and is higher in price. It is still tasty but lacks some acidity. I actually put some lemon on it and it worked out well.

Seating is spacious and I had a really comfortable chair. I sat up stairs on the far right wall as you head into the dining room. The noise level was nice…not loud but you could hear the band and easily have a conversation. On the same hand, it wasn’t akwardly silent, which I can’t stand.

The $32 frenched pork chop was pretty solid. It is a single back bone cut and was moist with a very tasty reduction. I wanted scallops but they ran out. One big plus was that they actually loaded you up with some incredibly tasty mushrooms, and they did not skimp with the fingerling potatoes. It is nice to see people not get super cheap on side dishes (cough birravino) :smirk: I was impressed with the amount of shrooms and starch I got.

My friend had the angry lobster dinner. They will turn the app into an entree and this dish is still going strong! In fact, with the linguini I think they juiced it up with more butter/cream and it seemed better than I even remember from the old catch. I’d highly recommend this dish or app. It is a tad spicy but nothing compared to what I like to eat…just a warning for anyone sensitive to spice. It’s nothing offensive but some people get super picky with anything offering even a hit of spice.

Overall, this place does have potential. You’re going to pay some rb tax but it’s not ridiculous. If you’re a drinker you can easily run up a substantial bill, but if not, I dont think the prices were bad for the food and venue. They just seem to be having an identity crisis. It is like they want to be more hipster and “club like” when I miss the old catch and seeing the tasty looking seafood displayed on ice.

Overall I will be back to try some more things.

1 Like

has anyone checked out the yelp reviews of this joint recently? I know the owners have relatively deep pockets- but feeling like this may be the next place to go away esp with the Dennis Foy spot probably taking up a new spot on the high end scene.
I just don’t know why they messed with what they had at the initial spot. The “bar/club” joint was just bizarre from the jump, but now they ruined two spots and the Mexican place they spoke of looks no further along than when initially announced.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. They sold out for the bar scene, they wanted to take over the crowd that was there while it was Gotham, forget about this place food was NEVER going to be their priority.

I’m not a member of yelp so it took me a few minutes to figure out the reviews, don’t know why they list them scrambled instead of in date order, but if you look it’s been several months since they got an overall good/great review. No surprises here.

1 Like

yeah- changing from “yelp sort” (which is prob a thing to extract $$ from vendors to move better reviews to the top) to “newest first” yields a stark change. Think from April they don’t have one net positive review. At the prices they charge with all the newer and incoming higher end places in RD I think they are in trouble. It’s almost like they spent WAY toooo much on the Gotham concept and when it went bust stye tried this to make some $$ back. But all they did was move a rather well liked concept and shoehorned it into their bizarre space while moving way upmarket past their capabilities.
Has only been to Gotham once, found it truly odd, space was WAY too big, nothing special about the offerings, prices, or service. Just an odd experience. Was told by some of the younger guys who work for me that it was a known spot for older creeper dudes with heavy accents to hit on young college age ladies (and prob a place for younger college age ladies to avail themselves of plenty of free drinks)

1 Like

The Co-co’s entourage is enough for me not to visit.

3 Likes

Kind of funny, since Robert above made his post I took a look through this thread. I see my comments on the receipt above where the fleeced me for a $6. potato, wrong steak and I claim to have made off with a martini and sambucca. I don’t know why I’m just noticing now there is a $ 12. Glass of Liberty Cab on my check!!! WTF!!! They fleeced me for a glass of wine too!!! I don’t drink wine!!! Ugggghhhhh I hate this place!!! hahahahahaa (maybe I need to start paying closer attention to my tabs)

3 Likes

Is that the women’s clothing store right there?

Si senor’

Yes c_j….Coco Pari is right next to Catch 19. The owner goes by the name Mr. Anthony or as he likes to be known, Mr. Red Bank.

looks like they got their first good yelp review in about 6 months…not dubious that a reviewer from Colonia claims to try to go there every weekend “it’s filled”

1 Like

I seriously hate Yelp.

1 Like

I’ll admit I use it a lot to get a feel for places and it def started out as a great idea to democratize reviews but it really has gone off rails when spots fan pay $$ to bury bad reviews cooled with the people who fancy themselves the next big thing and go way overboard with thier reviews

They should not let you post a review until after being a member for a month or so and then only after leaving a certain amount of reviews…and with a certain amount of characters. That would weed out so many idiots and one hit wonders.

3 Likes

Yup. Love the posters with 50 friends but one review. Check out tomo 35 in Eatontown. Half the reviews are like that or some guy from the Midwest who magically came to the jersey shore and had to rush to have sushi on rt 35 next to Lowe’s as his only review of his time in NJ

4 Likes