[Catania] Sicily eats 2023

I was able to spend one day in Catania before starting my wildflower tour on March 29. Staying on Via Aetnea near Villa Bellini (great area!) I was able to have a very good dinner and a great snack, between replacement my broken suitcase and cruising the park and nabe.
First, after snagging the new suitcase (lucky I was staying in a shopping area), I was famished and had a late lunch/snack at Pasticceria Savia, right across the street from my hotel. There was a row of several different beige arancini and I ordered the Catanese. for E2.50 I receive a lump of deep fried creamy porky rice deliciousness. Truly great. almost spoiled my dinner! I highly recommend this place! A couple days later I noticed that Katie Parla does, too!

Having cruised extensively I decided to give classic Slowfood pick Me Cumpari Turiddu a shot for dinner. They were able to find a small table for me, luckily, since they were very busy. https://www.mecumparituriddu.it/en/
These folks very consciously are presenting traditional and characteristic classic dishes of the local cuisine, all very tasty and well made and served with style. Maybe not quite as much heart and the mom and pops we ate at in Modica, Ragusa, etc in 2017 but very, very good. They led off with complementary appetizers a set of local breads which were explained by the waiter, along with some very good olives and marinated dried tomatoes, with more bread

My primo was one of their specialties, spaghetti alla Turiddu, which dresses the pasta with anchovies, tomatoes, herbs and toasted bread crumbs, quite mild

followed by involtini di spatola con verdurine alla stimpirata, delicately fried paddlefish rolls filled with lightly pickled vegetables, perfect.

At some point I decided to order fennel and orange salad, which I love, and to finish with a mandarin geli or gelatina, a resfreshing old fashioned sicilian dessert.

this did not excite me as much as the cinnamon geli I had in Modica a few years back but it was still a treat.
With a couple of glasses of very good wine and finishing with a cup of coffee the meal was 65E and well worth it to reclaim the sense of sicilian cooking I had gotten on our prior trip (2017)

The following morning I was able to visit the fish and vegetable market where there was wonderful seafood on display along with enticing items being sold from a simple grill.

Lots of good eating in this area, Im sure!

I headed off to the airport where i cooled my heels for 5 hours waiting for my tour group to arrive from England. the only good thing at the Catania airport was the coffee, be warned.

My group stayed at a country hotel called Feudo Bauly, an ancient walled estate located in the deep countryside outside Palazzuolo Acreide (near Noto). Beautiful country, Estate was owned by the family of a butcher and we had pork dishes pretty much every night. Their restaurant is open to non-residents only on weekends. Several interesting pasta dishes were served over the course of the week, but one night they offered Pasta alla Norma on request of a group member.

12 Likes

Jen, SO glad to read another of your expert reports, timely for me since I hope to be in Catania in the middle of May. I have only 2 nights there (wonder if I made an error in not spending a few more nights), so want to choose dinner places carefully. (well, probably one lunch (Sunday) and one dinner, Monday). i had marked Me Cumpari Turiddu after reading in the Osterie guide and watching Stanley Tucci on his CNN show. Those restaurant names in dialect always spark my interest…I remember a wonderful place in the area of Nardo in Puglia, and one or two in Lecce with (obviously Pugliese) dialect in their names. When you get to Puglia, you will have to get to the one in the vicinity of Nardo.

Coincidentally, I made a fennel and orange salad last night, along with my take on Pasta alla Norma.

So I take it you would recommend? Grazie mille!!

1 Like

yes I recommend, with the slight reservation I stated. The pasta dish was rather similar to the anchovy and endive dish I had at Tram Tram in Rome. I think the latter dish had more full flavor than this one, tho this was very good. The best dish I ate was the involtini which was really excellent. I wish I had tried the insalata di mare su caponatina in agrodolce that slowfood guide recommends, and the sweet couscous (tho I had had something like that from a convent in Agrigento - If you are going there, I will look up the info.

And that arancini from savia was really great - they have at least 6 kinds, so not all porky!

Erica, where all are you going?

1 Like

Jen, here is the plan; I’ve planned the same, or similar trip, four times before, only to be thwarted by COVID and some medical issues of my partner. Here is the general plan; you will see that a number of interesting destinations are not included; I’ve been to some of them before–Palermo, Ortygia, Agrigento) and others will have to wait until another time. Trip is in May.

TRAPANI…3 nights. One dinner at SIRENA DI SANSICA (Bonagia, Valderice), highly recommended by Ziggy here; others, TBD.
Salt tour.

SCIACCA. or MONTALEGRO (or any place between Trapani and Pto Empedocle)…lunch…TBD. Need tips here!!

PORTO EMPEDOCLE…2 nights…TBD…maybe dinner at B&B

LICATA…1 night; dinner TBD; lunch, LA MADIA. Visit to Azienda MANDRANOVA, Palma di Montechiaro, between Agrigento and Licata.

RAGUSA…4 nights. Dinner at IL DUOMO (seems now to carry the name of Chef Sultano); lunch, maybe, in PORTOPALO. Visit to CHIARAMONTE GULFI and Frantoio Cutrera. NOTO…maybe breakfast/snack at CAFFE SICILIA (should I??). Need tips for Ragusa restaurants; have one marked:

CATANIA…2 nights. 1 Sunday lunch TBD; 1 dinner, ME CUMPARI TURIDDU (?) . Many snacks at many times.

SALINA…6 nights. Meals TBD; considering HOTEL SIGNUM’s restaurant but unsure. Caper tour.

TAORMINA…4 nights. (Must have buffer of 1 night in case of delay in ferry from Salina to Milazzo impacts flight back to JFK. Ended up booking 4 nights. Most unsure of where to eat; is it at all possible to find someplace outside the tourist track? Last trip (maybe 10 years ago) remember pretty good meal at IL DUOMO, no idea how that is today.

I’m willing to sample just about anything. Partner avoids shellfish. Always looking for good pizza.

Would love recommendations and/or comments!!

Thanks so much!!

2 Likes

It feels wrong structurally to be responding to questions about locales other than Catania on a Catania topic but here goes!
First, these days I always look at Slowfood, its just the level of cuisine and flavor I usually go for. Additionally, When I researched Sicily pre-pandemic there was a newspaper (cant remember which) which specialized in periodic reports of Il Migliori Ristoranti di [name of city]. Not sure thats happening anymore. There was also an annual compilation of the best restaurants of Sicily, and you watched them rise and fall in hawklike fashion. Havent found an equally good general resource since then. Stanley Tucci and I think Giorgio Locatelli also have useful info, as of course Scatto di Gusto, Gambero Rosso, Michelin, less comprehensively Luciano Pignataro, etc etc. The notes and pix below relate to our April-May 2018 trip to the area.

Trapani - many well regarded trattorie, per Slowfood. We made two visits to Cantina Siciliana enjoyed a range of excellent dishes, good atmosphere and wines. As elsewhere the local pastas (eggplant and swordfish with mint for example) were terrific.We also enjoyed a very simple crowded place Trattoria San Pietro, for pastas and seafood.

As many have noted the designs and flavors of N. Africa are evident in the plates we are served on this region, as well as in some of the spice and cuscus.
I really didnt like the fish cuscus, however that I had, unfortunately, the broth was too strong and one dimensional for me. And I like spice.

Forgot to mention the great mixed appetizers to be ordered here. This and the two above are from Tratt. San Pietro sorry for the half eaten appearance!

Erice - this town is a must visit, by funicular from the town or car

and we had a great meal at GLI ARCHI DI SAN CARLO. It is sited in the laundry where Maria Grammatico worked so hard as a child. Food was excellent, great caponata, seafood pasta (busiate) with the local and excellent version of pesto, and some delicous vegetables - the favas with mint in particular were unexpectedly lovely.

A visit to Maria Grammatico’s shop may be touristy but its amazing. We were so full from lunch we actually did not taste or buy but here are a couple of pictures (all of these were previously posted on CH - Im lucky I did not delete, as I did with many )

Nearby - unforgettable are the temple of Segesta and the Island of Mozia - latter reachable by boat service from just N of Marsala. You can see the salt pans from there and the greek statue in the museum alone is worth the visit.

Trapani - Agrigento
Lots of towns and places in this zone, including Mazaro del Vallo (it has a kasbah, lots of beauriful crumbling baroque, like all these towns, and another wonderful greek statue, also worth a visit., Marsala, Sciacca, a number of well know agritusmos (like the La Foresteria Planeta Estate). We had a pretty good lunch at Trattoria del Pino a slowfood in Marsala, not our first pick. In Sciacca we stayed for 2 nights up at the top of the town (it has several levels, the top ones the most historic and interesting. We ate at two restaurants in the historic center, the better of which, which was extremely good, is no more the other listed in slowfood (Capellino) was homey but the food we had did not impress.

The ruins of Selinunte, W of Sciacca, are worth a visit and very few people do, so its a meadow by the sea, not a dusty hilltop (like Agrigento) more ruined but a nice hour or so walking in the countryside. Segesta mentioned above even more so.

I will mention Da Vittorio, which has been written about by many, at Porto Palo on this coast, the owner a character with a huge ego but at least historically great seafood. We did not take a chance.
Agrigento - we tried to go to Terracotta iin the town but somehow wound up at a different place. Slowfood still recommends, thats what I would try. There is a convent in the town with an amazing church encrusted with super stuccos. The convent next door sells sweets which are definitely worth trying if you get up into the town. The museum of Agrigento is good too. We wished we had had more time here. to be continued.

7 Likes

Thanks for this. I’m heading to Sicily, with one night in Catania, in May. I’d been eyeing Me Cumpari Turridu. The arrancini place sounds great. Thank you for specifying that not all available arrancini are porky. And your pictures are wonderful.

Jen that’s wonderful information, thank you. I was not planning to take the drive/cable car up to Erice, as we have only 2 full days in the city, plus day of arrival from the US. (I’d been there many, many years ago, on the same trip that I visited Segesta). But Maria Grammatico’s shop certainly tempts, as does GLI ARCHI, perhaps for lunch!

I see that I had marked a Da Vittorio in Porto Palo but now realize that THAT Porto Palo is near Menfi; we had planned to go for a coastal lunch in the town, near Ragusa, that I see now, is named PORTO PALO DI CAPO PASSERO, and I believe it is the southernmost point on the island. Will try not to confuse my Porto Palos! Maybe the one close to Menfi will make a good lunch pause along the drive from Trapani towards Agrigento.

Thank you again for the information, and the wonderful photos!

Loved JenKalb’s report — I have not been back to Sicily since prepandemic and need to go…
I chuckled about the Catania airport food options — and recalled the bad choices — however there did used to be a good gelato shop to the right of the entry.

Erice is lovely, and a bag of treats is a must at Maria Grammatico. We also enjoyed a day on Favignana. The salt sold by the small shop/museum near the salt pans outside of Trapani is amazing stuff.

The arancini ingredients seem to be listed on their website of that helps!

1 Like

Really, read the reviews of da Vittorio, it seems like people really like it or hate it. I can hardly recommend as I did not risk a visit! Maybe Ziggy went there. I was surprised you were heading for Pto Empdocle - it seemed pretty industrial as we drove through though I recall Ziggy found a really good place there (I think closed). Believe this was the real town Camilliero wrote about for Montalbano, though the tv drama got reset in more scenic Ragusa-Scicli etc. and nearby beach town.

Re Ragusa, we were only there a day, and thought it was lovely, scenic etc. Ate our sole meal at Rusticana in Ragusa Ibli - the slowfood restaurant that is also famous for being one of Montalbano’s hangouts in the tv drama. We had a pretty good meal and its a pretty terrace restaurant with its beautiful green wall. Sunday lunch and all the locals were ordering artichokes!

One specialty of Ragusa is scaccia, a savory pastry snack with very thin layers of pastry with tomato sauce and other things layered between. It is surprisingly delicate. Panificio Giummarra in Ragusa Ibla is famous for it. I note that there are several slowfoods currently in Ragusa, including Cucina e Vino - with the snail designation - that might be worth checking out if you get hungry after your chef meals.

If you are driving out to Chiaramonte Gulfi there is a longterm slowfood fave there, U Dammusu, that you might want to check out. (I havent been) I just suggest you might want to look at the guide for alternatives in this area, there are quite a number, including ones you might want to enjoy en route to your next destination.

If you decide to visit Caltagirone, Restaurant Coria is lovely. We had an all-pink meal (in honor of the Giro di Italia race) there in 2017 which was memorable.

We were staying in Modica for that visit - at Modicarte (dont know if he is still hosting)
Loved that town which is down in a crazy canyon similar to Ragusa. but the restaurant we really enjoyed there, with great home cooking run by an older couple has been dropped from the slowfood guide and has uneven reviews now, which is sad. I had really wanted to go to ACCURSIO there, and would still recommend a visit. There are also artisanal chocolate makers (the old spanish tradition, sort of like mexican chocolate) in Modica and as I recall a lovely pastry shop right in the center.
The town of Scicli is another nearby, down toward the coast, very worth a visit, with lovely pastel decor in the churches.

We had a quick visit to sunbaked little old fishing village Marzememi on my recent Sicily visit - we stopped in at a cafe, Calamaro Portodimare, for afternoon coffee and snacks. Here I experienced the custom of serving nut based ices with warm brioches. the pistachio and almond were excellent, recommend wherever in the area you can find this treat.

For Noto, yes Cafe Sicilia is the fave - Ive not been there, but maybe a place to try the brioche - ice combo. There is a starred restaurant Il Crocofisso, in Noto that was on my go to list for my cancelled 2020 trip.

I have no experience and little info about Taormina unfortunately. There was one place recommended in Chowhound days, I think it was Osteria Nero d’Avola which might be worth a try.

Looking forward to hearing about how your trip goes!

3 Likes

It’s been 6 years since we spent 3 weeks touring around Sicily with some friends. I looked at our calendar and reviewed the dining places we went to. In Catania, where we stayed for 7 nights (using it for day trips to Mt. Etna & quite a few other cities/towns/sites), we ate at 2 places in the fish market (which retains its smell in the evening but is a great venue for dinners): first, Osteria Antica Marina, which was highly recommended by everyone everywhere and was enjoyed. Secondly, a place named Trattoria Mm!! that was almost as good, despite the name. We also found a locals place that we dined at twice. In an inner courtyard area off a Main Street, we found Giglio Rosso (Via Sant’Anna 19), which won’t win any awards but provided very good down home fare & we would recommend if one is looking for a good, solid Catania place. Our other 3 dinners were at a mediocre place, Fud, that one of our traveling companions wanted to try, an arranged food/wine chef’s dinner in the Katane Palace Hotel (Il Cucinare), that I recall fondly but vaguely, & an arranged banquet within the historical site Cappella Bonajuto, where the tour thru the site was great and the food/wine above average fare. As I stated above, this was 2017, so these places may be gone or now be significantly different.
We spent 2 other weeks, and I have notes on Cefalu, Palermo, Aragona area, Mazara del Vallo (great long lunch at Cafe Garibaldi: Via Garibaldi, 4/6) & the Baglio Soria Firriato Wine Resort on the west side of Sicily somewhere as well.

2 Likes

Yes, we really enjoyed Salmoriglio in Porto Empedocle but it closed a few years ago. Though the sister restaurant in Agrigento, Agulia Persa is still open. That’s where chef Enzo cooks. We didnt make it to Da Vittorio but recall the very mixed reviews.

i remember your report on this trip! You know, Fud is still there in Catania, and I considered it - their specialty is apparently donkey burgers - but I wasnt looking for burgers of any type that night.If I had had another meal opportunity I would definitely have headed for the harbor/fishmarket - the red shrimp were calling to me!

hope you re-share some of the other information - otherwise its lost to the ether!

2 Likes

Well, while I have the notes out, I’ll mention https://fontesepiscopi.it/?lang=en the Agritourismo in Arigona (just north of Agrigento) where we stayed 2 nights and loved it. The room we occupied was huge, modern and had a great balcony. The kitchen was excellent and Ginny spent time with the cook making bread before one of the dinners. Ginny spoke Italian to her & she spoke back in a way Ginny couldn’t understand and thought was just too rapid. One of the staff informed Ginny afterwards that the baker was speaking Sicilian dialect. We took a drive to the Valley of the Temples one day & , on the other day we were guided through a local village (Sant’Angelo Muxaro) & the Sicani Hills. The village is a UNESCO Heritage Site & we were introduced to many of the residents who had in home bakeries, craft production, woodworking & produce that they were now distributing to other cities. We even stopped when our tour guide’s 90 year old mother came out onto her balcony to call to her son as we were walking by (jaded New Yawker as I am, I considered whether this was set up, but I don’t think so - son was capable, but I don’t think mom would’ve been into it). Our Agritourismo was in the same general area as the one Ziggy stayed in and we visited a 3rd one in the area for lunch. It’s a great area for slow touring & I highly recommend it.

3 Likes

thats great intelligence Ziggy; Aguglia Persa in Agrigento sounds great, its not all the way up in the old town either. Not far from the archeological museum.
https://agugliapersa.it/

I’m in Ortigia, and had a spinach arancino from Antico Giudecca that was much better than I could have imagined. It was the size of my fist.

8 Likes

And thanks to Ziggy, had an excellent meal at Macalle. The arancino lunch meant I didn’t have room for a pasta course, but the capona way better than any I’ve had before. Sea bass as my main, and the local wines were excellent. Warm service too.

3 Likes

Sweet! Good to know Macalle still going strong. I see they offer cooking classes now too.
A local well tattooed chef pointed us to Macalle at the time

1 Like

I’ve had two more very good dinners in Ortegia. Sicilia in Tavola last night. Started with octopus and potatoes- it was just as expected and I was happy. Then pasta with tiny clams (don’t remember the Sicilian name), zucchini blossoms, and bottarga. Whoa. Delicious.

Tonight ate at Il Pesce Azzurro. The sea urchin pasta was incredible. Then had tuna with tomatoes, garlic, capers. This was good, but by my taste overcooked. Not by much, but still it was too chewy. Next time I’d just double up on the pasta . :grin:.

6 Likes

Photos of sea urchin pasta and tuna:

Add images here