[Catania] Sicily eats 2023

Apparently either my phone or wifi is being temperamental or i don’t know what I’m doing. Safe to bet on the latter. Will try to post photos tomorrow.

Main thing is I absolutely love Ortigia and can’t wait to come back. Off to Taormina tomorrow.

2 Likes

6 Likes

(If moderator wants to move my stuff to the Sicily 2023 thread that’s fine with me; I’m trying to keep my replies together).

Yesterday arrived in Taormina. Spectacular and busy. I had a reservation somewhere fancy, and just wasn’t in the mood, so I canceled. Instead got a pretty delicious pizza for 11 euros, and a spectacular view at a place basically across from Excelsior. Very happy with my out of character decision.

6 Likes

Another dinner in Taormina, this time at L’Arco dei Cappuccini. It was … fine. Service was wonderful, so I’m sorry this isn’t a glowing review. It’s not a slam either, just meh. Started with a caprese salad, which was wonderful, but so is my husband’s (shout out to LLD!). Pasta course involved fish, porcini mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and very undercooked pasta. As in crunchy. This has never happened to me in Italy, and I like my pasta al dente, but eek. Stirring it around a bit helped but only slightly. And the truth is that it wasn’t a very exciting sauce. First time I’ve picked up a salt shaker this entire trip.

4 Likes

Not Catania, not even Sicily, but instead Rome, on a final day of my trip. I stopped at a little place with a patio and a chalkboard near the Campo de Fiori called Verso Sera. Had a couple of really nice glasses of wine and decided to order the artichokes. Waiter asked if I’d like Jewish or Roman style, and suggested (since an order was two artichokes) that I get one of each. Both were absolutely delicious. Then noticed a guy eating the zucchini blossom and had to order that too. They were one of the bests things I’ve ever eaten. Zucchini blossoms stuffed with cheese and anchovy, fried in a light, almost tempura-like batter. Holy cow. Photos seem to have disappeared, but promise to add them later today.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Well that didn’t seem to work. Not sure what the problem is. Sorry!

Glad to find this Catania discussion as I will be there in two weeks (May26, 2023) for a few days. I’ve also been doing some research and came across this link which seems to have “restaurant news” https://www.cronachedigusto.it/scenari/in-sicilia-ventata-di-novita-nella-ristorazione-tutte-le-nuove-aperture/

2 Likes

3 Likes

That sounds like THE perfect meal!!!

WE had 2 nights in Catania. Second dinner was at ME CUMPARI TURRIDU that Jen reported about recently. Excellent and will post photos once I can log onto my own laptop.

From Catania, we went to Milazzo and were extremely fortunate to board the only boat that left Milazzo and actually was able to dock at Salina; the other scheduled boats were either cancelled, or left Milazzo but were unable to dock at Salina and had to turn back and return to Milazzo porto. VERY important to build in a day or 2 into itinerary to allow for cancellation of ferries and hydrofoils. Weather has been unseasonably cold and windy this month. We now have 5 more nights on Salina and will, later today, catch up on photos and report on last meal in Catania and last night,s dinner here at hotel on Salina (Hotel Principe di Salina, just above Malfa village)

1 Like

(post deleted by author)