Caldereta de Bogavante is always a successful pleasantry for family reunions and get togethers with dear Friends or as a romantic dinner for 2.
This récipe serves 4.
2 Lobsters ( 1 Kilo ) - boil only until al dente ( approx 5 minutes )
sea salt ( I use Basque Ecological Sea Salt )
200 ml. Evoo
2 small onions of choice finely sliced ( I sub shallot and leek )
2 cloves garlic finely minced or diced
2 large red ripe tomatoes ( 250 grams ) peeled and de-seeded and finely chopped
Fish or prawn broth from home made fish stock
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs: parsley and Genovese Basil, thyme, oregano, savoury Winter or summer
freshly ground rose, Green, White and black peppercorns
Rice: I use Arròs de Perlès … However, you can use Valencian Arborio and add some to your concoction.
Prawns: 12 Large or extra large prawns ( langostinos )
- Cook the lobsters for 4 to 5 minutes in boiling salted wáter until al dente …
- Remove and allow to cool and then take out of Shell and set aside.
- Heat the Evoo in a large skillet and sauté the onion ( I sub shallot and leek ) over low slow flame or heat, until Golden and tender. Now add the garlic and the tomatoes and allow to reduce over low slow flame to the consistency of a " sofrito " or purée.
- Add the shucked lobster pieces, shellfish broth, fresh herbs, and bay leaves. Cook slowly for 10 minutes in the sofrito / sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and lowever the heat. *** Remove the lobster and set aside. Add 12 large prawns that are not de-shelled ( the shells provide a tremendous amount of flavor ).
- Heat the stew for another 15 - 20 minutes and serve in an earthenware and ladle the stew evenly to the diners. This is when you pour your rice gently into the earthenware or Palleria, a paella metal pan with 2 handles or casserole or Dutch Oven. This is not Paella, so maintain the stew liquid necessary.