Cape Cod 2020

I’ve been in Ptown for the month. I do have to say that the town as a whole is really doing what they can under the circumstances. Masks are required on commercial street, restaurants have plastic dividers up between tables - distanced outside where possible. But we haven’t been eating out.

But we did just do a very long happy hour at the Red Inn and it was our first meal out since lockdown. It was lovely. Outside on their deck overlooking the harbor, distanced, great cocktails and great food.

8 Likes

That looks very nice. Will definitely take a closer look. Thank you!

We did an early dinner out in ptown actually! I am realizing I didn’t add it to my post before. I was worried going into this covid environment but we were all hungry. We hadn’t brought our 3 year old to a restaurant since February. Went to ptown brewing and it was perfect. All the precautions. Lots of space. Delicious beer!! Well done bar food. Also, if you park in the monument parking lot and walk down and up it is free. We drove down commerical and everyone was wearing masks.

7 Likes

We’ve been cautious about going there. Thank you for your input. Miss the Lobster Pot.

1 Like

Not a discovery, but a report on a useful curbside pickup situation. We feasted on calamari, garlic fries, and a dozen oysters from Mac’s in Chatham back at our rental. Corn, tomatoes, and wine are supplies packed from home.

The fried items stood up admirably during the five-minute drive back to the house. They asked that we return the plastic container that contained the oysters, ice, and mignonettes.

I read that a couple of folks are catching a late summer vacation—ours is so last-minute—so thought this might be useful because of various Mac’s locations in multiple towns. (We almost missed out on vacation altogether because of husband’s work schedule, whew.)

10 Likes

Nice-looking spread!

1 Like

We adore calamari prepared in the Rhode Island style, with cherry peppers. It’s hard to find a tasty rendition in Northern MA.

We declared the calamari and garlic fries to be the Cape Cod equivalent of moules et frites. To our way of thinking, anyway.

5 Likes

Bon gout!

1 Like

You would love Provincetown …
We found it very very charming and picturesque …
And stunner seafood too.

There was a rustic Portuguese Restaurant with a fireplace at the end of Provincetown main street. It was phenomenal. The dish that I prepare from this restaurant is a grilled prawn dish with marinated spicy prawns …

I have no idea if it is still in Provincetown or if the owners sold it … It was a jewel of a restaurant …

6 Likes

Thanks @Barca! We might be able to go see our friends in Provincetown later this week, if things work out.

1 Like

So we made it to Wellfleet Sunday no problem. Listened to the Patriots win on the way. Arrived in time to see TB12 start for Tampa Bay. Strange times.
Ate in Sunday night, homemade meat sauce with capellini. Surfside cottages are very nice, very clean and close to Lecount Hollow Beach. Big waves Monday and Tuesday cause of Paulette. A few surfers taking advantage.

Traveled to Orleans for clams and fish at Cooks, really like the batter.

Picked up our beach pass for Wellfleet and saw a couple of beaches, put Mayo on the must return list. I think because its close to Mac’s on the Pier.
Tuesday was cool in the am (45 degrees) and the surf was pounding. Once it warmed up a bit we hit the Audubon Society for a walk through the marshes. We were not the only ones but it seemed everyone had masks on and were very good about distancing.
Stopped at Macs for dinner provisions, steamers and some haddock. Both were excellent.

SO did the fish over tomatoes, garlic, peppers and onions from our back yard or our CSA. So good.
Clams were excellent. I am hoping for the scallops tomorrow night. They looked wonderful.
Wednesday is warmer they day, so maybe beach time. We will see.

10 Likes

September is my favorite month for the Cape. Crispy nights and clear, dry days. Crowds have left for the most part, leaving the place to the locals and those who just want to relax, enjoy the scenery and fresh seafood.
Those fried clams look great. The one thing I’ve been craving doesn’t travel all that well and I can’t cook them. Now, scallops are a piece of cake. Dry them, sear them and you’re done.

3 Likes

It might have been Sal’s Place in the West End. He died this year - not sure if the restaurant is still open. In the East End, there is Ciro & Sal’s which is excellent. And also mid pier away from the wharf is Napi’s. Fanizzis in the East End is also excellent and the Mews, as well. Before Provincetown, there is a hidden gem in Truro called Blackfish. You’ll need reservations for that one.

2 Likes

Blackfish is take out only but looks pretty good. They have a sibling, Crushpad that is window service.
Have you been there?
My husband talks of Sal’s in PT, going when he was a kid. Still there but different owner it from 40+ years
ago.

We picked up Mac’s bluefish pate and lobster bisque for dinner from Chatham Fish & Lobster Seafood Market. We needed to return a plastic container from our takeout oyster order to the restaurant half of the business next door, so why not.

Mac’s bluefish pate reminded me In a good way of a Legal Seafood preparation (that I seem to remember) from times gone by. It benefitted from a squeeze of lemon and a pile of capers that I added back at the rental. Dutch rye bread brought from home.

Lobster bisque was extremely rich and flavorful, though it contained but a few very small morsels of lobster. Really could have used more. I added kernels cut from two ears of native corn when I warmed the bisque. Way more satisfying than photogenic.

9 Likes

I used to love that Legal bluefish pate! I’m sure I would love Mac’s too.

2 Likes

We have eaten at Blackfish when they had indoor dining. Have not eaten at Crushpad. Is that a food truck they set up at Truro Vineyards??

SO was kind of enough to stand in line this morning at pbboulangeriebistro.com for almost an hour for
breakfast treats. Croissant, Boston Blueberry, Brioche and a Creme Brulee Broiche plus a baguette for tonight. All were very good, the blueberry especially. But he is more patient than I, especially without his tea first! He snagged a few pictures inside too.

We tried to park at the beach near the Beachcomber for a few hours of vitamin D and then lunch.
But even with our $95.00 parking pass it would of cost an additional $30.00. So we headed to PT and sat at Race Point beach for a couple of hours. Breezy but nice. Herrington Cove is a nice beach too.
Ended up at Mac’s Shack in Eastham for a late lunch, the Wellfleet location was too windy.
Scallop roll, lobster roll, chowder and fries. Scallops a little on the skimpy side I thought, SO seemed happy though but the chowder was excellent, not thick, lots of clams and potatoes and well seasoned. Lobster was warm butter, lemon and a toasted roll. I enjoyed it very much, perfect amount ( I refrained from ordering the large one!)
Saw the Bluefish Pate in the case ,TomatoTomato, and briefly considered it for dinner. Its still a contender, especially after your recommendation!

Kids arrive tomorrow and the weather looks iffy. See how it goes with outdoor dining.

9 Likes

Such amazing pictures, what an awesome SO to wait in that line!! You are sure doing some good eating!

2 Likes

Those scallops, especially, look good. Want.

The bluefish pate could do with some enhancement, though I liked it fine. Squeeze of lemon would do nicely.

PB Boulangerie looks amazing! Maybe another time when we don’t have the dog in the car, because it’s FOOD and it’s challenging for her to wait patiently that long. Because it’s FOOD.

3 Likes