Canned Corn Beef Hash. Musing use...

Restaurant Depot

My last try at caned CBH was with Libby’s brand. It was very wet and mushy so it never really crisped up to my liking. Is the Mary Kitchen less wet? Any other brands that are on the dry side?

If you can find Mary Kitchen where you live, please give it a try. MK is firm out of the can with no extraneous liquid. I’m sure it will be more expensive then Libby’s, but well worth the extra cost.

Tried Mary Kitchen a week or so ago. It IS better than Libby’s, but I think it’ll be a long time before I try it again. Just doesn’t come anywhere near the real thing.

1 Like

I love the taste of a Corned Beef Brisket in a New England Boiled Dinner. We make up a BIG pot so I can do Bubble & Squeak the next day.

But I also love Corned Beef Hash fried hard on one side to get a crust; and pressed Corn Beef lunch meat. I guess I’m indiscriminate in my appreciation…

The only corned beef I knew about until long after I left home was canned, either grocery-store cans or the big loaf-sized ones they cut slices from at the butcher/deli counter. Had my first REAL corned beef sandwich at a bus stop in Calgary, on my way up to Alaska in 1964. I was amazed at corned beef you actually had to chew! Needless to say I could not imagine how one would make the corned-beef-and-cabbage that Jiggs in the comic strip was always going on about.

2 Likes

Used to buy six packs of MK corned beef hash. Would get it nice and crispy, then cook eggs on the top. Also used to make a casserole out of it. Made a mistake & thought recipe called for hash, but it was really supposed to be canned corned beef. Had elbow macaroni, some onion & cheese. Delicious & a guilty pleasure.

These days we just buy extra corned beef in March & freeze it. Always cook extra so we can make some hash. A little healthier for us now.

2 Likes