Candies you loved and disliked when you trick or treated ?

Loved : Milk Duds , Milky Way , Abba Zabba , Hershey chocolates .
Disliked : Smarties , Candy Corn
Happy Halloween .

3 Likes

There were these awful molasses toffees that we hated getting.

Typically anything chocolate was good.

1 Like

Loved: good candy bars: Snickers, Almond Joy, Baby Ruth, Hershey, Payday

Disliked: Smarties, suckers

I had to look on the Internet to see what the Smarties were called. Yuck.

We had a really, really old couple in our neighborhood who had a big bowl of candy corn. Each child used a scoop to get some. I wasn’t wild about candy corn, but through the years developed a tolerance for it, then actually started liking it just because those people were so nice. Nearly 60 years later I can still almost picture them.

Loved: Milk Duds, M&Ms, Almond Joy (me)
Hated: Almond Joy (per DH), candy corn, raisins.

Loved: the chocolate candy bars that had rice crispies in them, can’t remember the name and Mr. Goodbar, Rolos, Chunky (wonder if they still make them)
Hated: CIRCUS PEANUTS! Just thinking about them makes my stomach churn

2 Likes

Loved Mounds, Almond Joy, Milky Way the most, hated those Mary Jane toffee things. Hershey’s dark chocolate was good, too. And chocolate Ice Cubes on the rare occasion they showed up.

1 Like

You guys are either really young or have great memories. I can’t even remember what I got, but it was over fifty years ago.

I do recall we would drop off our bags’ contents at home halfway through and my mother would give out all the stuff we didn’t like to the kids who came after that.

3 Likes

Ha ha. That’s a good idea!

1 Like

Raisins, UGH!

1 Like

Yup, that’s my husband’s favorite Halloween story; the year his mom gave out little boxed of raisins and the next morning their front yard was littered with little boxes of raisins.

4 Likes

I grew up in a tiny (population hovered around 100 residents) town in a rural community. One of the residents was a dentist. Each year he gave out little baggies containing a toothbrush, small tube of toothpaste, and his business card. Not a very popular stop.

I liked pretty much any candy (we weren’t allowed “sweets” as kids) but my mother usually confiscated most of it. My sister and I would stash part of our loot in the playhouse and then sneak pieces when we could.

1 Like

Tooth paste , brush , and a business card . Oh , the pain !!!

1 Like

I was in the middle of a large family. We’d have a giant “swap meet” after we returned home with offers like “I’ll give you one fun-sized Snickers for five pieces of taffy.” Bargaining ensued. Then we all retired to our rooms to find a hiding place for our stashes. Most of us ate enough to make ourselves sick, but one sister would nurse her stash for months. The next day was a school holiday (Catholic school) and a “holy day of obligation” where we had to go to Mass. You weren’t allowed to eat anything before receiving Communion, so we’d fill our pockets with candy, to be eaten on the way home from church.

There are a lot of childhood memories that are fuzzy, but Halloween memories are still sharp.

2 Likes

His house was often singled out for egging by the older kids in town. Googled him a few years ago - he’s still practicing, but in another state. I wonder if he ever switched over to handing out candy?

Palousi, I am also a catholic school survivor . The holy day of obligation . Holy cow !

Not a chance Elsie .

1 Like

I’ve heard of that happening too!

I think you’re right @emglow101.

Something I’d forgotten about Halloween: we had neighbors who made homemade caramel apples and popcorn balls as treats - I’ve never had a caramel apple since that tasted so good!

Elsie , Glad you reminded me . I used to go up to where the rich people lived . Yes , the people who owned the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz would have a full blown cotton candy machine , candy apples , taffy , large candy bars . Yes , as kids we did our home work to had the best candy in town . It was our job on Halloween . We carried pillow cases .

2 Likes