Can Chefs Learn to Love Cooking Without Fire?

I’m not sure I will. One of the great things about living in the ancient old houses and apartments in NYC is that you can always count on having a gas stove.

BTW Dan Barber gets some kind of Zenhole award for musing that the next time he has to build out a new restaurant kitchen, he’ll do it with induction - and wood. LOL. We’ll all have the wood option, I’m sure.

1 Like

Already did and nearly 10 years already. Our new apartment is built in a zone that gas installation is forbidden. At first it was difficult as I liked my gas stove in Paris. Now when I have to use fire in others homes, I find induction heats up faster than fire, most obvious with boiling water for pasta, for example. I feel cooking with fire a bit “slow”.

Downside, cannot use clay pots with the induction…although I read that some newer more expensive pots include a metal disc that can work on an induction top. Another down side that no copper ware with induction may affect some, but I didn’t own any (although I was curious to try).

The aluminium Bialetti moka pot needs an adapter on induction. I have a second Bialetti pot that is adapted to induction in stainless steel, but problem the surface is too small to activate the range.

I cook on a lot of surfaces. Gas is the best. Induction is over-rated.