Camping without coolers

Any favorite camping /backpacking recipes not requiring coolers with ice?

I’m not quite sure what you are going for here. Are you talking about backpacking and cooking on the trail or car camping. The pic above shows meat that wouldn’t survive long in travel without ice.

1 Like

Coconut Seafood ramen (backpacking)

1 package Nong Shim brand Neoguri Udon Type Spicy Seafood Noodles
1 package dried coconut milk

Prepare noodles as directed on package. Stir in enough dried coconut milk to make it taste good.

Couscous salad w/ apricots, pine nuts, and ginger (backpacking or car camping) (Let me know if this sounds appealing, and I’ll adapt the recipe here— it’s from one of the Greens cookbooks)

Pupusas (car camping)
This is fun for a group meal within 24 hours of purchase of fresh masa. You can fill with whatever you want— just make sure you have a way to wash your hands.

2 Likes

actually, ideas for either car camping or backpacking are fine. Those sausages (Hillshire Farms lit’l smokies) which come fully cooked) were eaten on the first day of a backpack (no ice, maybe 4-5 hrs after leaving the car), i agree that they would not last long unrefrigerated.

corned beef hash and eggs.

1 Like

Check the Barry Farm, Harmony House, and Hoosier Hill websites, and Amazon, for dried ingredients including vegetables, fruits, cheese, butter, eggs, and milk. Add water, soak, stir, and sub these in the recipes of your choice.

1 Like

Cous Cous. saute shallots/ onions in oil, brown pine nuts, add chicken stock and raisins, add cous cous, stir and wait. fast and yummy.

alternatively, any dried pasta with sauce that doesn’t have meat.

1 Like

I have seen people bring stovetop stuffing supplemented with spam. I usually go with freeze dried stuff like Mountain House.

If you want to be lazy, Trader Joes is a bonanza for camping food. This weekend we cooked several pouches of Indian food, a pouch of pre-cooked brown rice, and naan, which we charred on our camp stove. Next time, I’ll bring some spice mixes to amplify the entrees, and pack some mango pickle in a Tupperware. We also brought one of the Indian dinners Costco sells in pouches, a bean conconction.

1 Like