California Dive Bars

Nice report. The imprimatur of the latino dive bars I’ve been to seem to be the abundance of jesus candlejars and incense.

Well some of you may have been to the venerable White Horse Tavern in Greenwich Village where Dylan Thomas may have had his last shot (or the even older establishment in Newport, RI with the same name). Inglewood is home to…The Green Horse Bar & Night Club.

The prices are great, there’s dollar taco tuesdays, pool, neon, plastic furniture (but no plastic money), music…it’s a friendly fun place.

1662 Centinela Ave, Inglewood.

2 Likes

I wonder which came first, the name or the giant green horse

1 Like

Apparently it’s been there since 1958…greener than the White Horse Tavern, but still…

My hunch is that the horse was first and was not originally green…maybe some business horse-backing off of Hollywood Park?..the scholars will have to sort this out on my next visit!

At least the horse isn’t as creepy as this favorite from the Wicker Man

1 Like

Aloha Club in Oakland

I haven’t been since covid, but it’s fun and they have an area next door that rotates food.

2 Likes

The Washoe House kinda fits the bill. It is located a couple miles west of Rohnert Park in Sonoma County. Maybe I should say was. Don’t know if it is still there.

1 Like

My friends in the valley remind me of the Copper Bucket

$4.50 well drinks, pool, softball team, since 1951…17715 Vanowen St., Reseda (borderline too nice - I expect less for my money)

and

the Fox Fire Room, 12516 Magnolia Blvd, Valley Village…William H. Macy did the job here in Magnolia…indoor/outdoor, good prices, worth a drink if you’re in the area and thirsty.

Personally I love how these nuggets of old time California persist and they have my support.

Playing devil’s advocate but I don’t understand the appeal of five bars. I go to restaurants and bars to eat and drink things I can’t easily replicate (or at least do in a similar fashion) at home. The main reasons for bars are either unique beers I can’t get easily somewhere else or excellent cocktails which are not your standard ones you can easily make at home. At the few dive bars I have visited you get quite lousy beers (Blue Moon, Stella, Budweiser) and mediocre cocktails. (And let’s not start talking about the food)

If you’re in Springfield …

Pool, Duff beer, flaming moes…where a $16 Long Island iced tea is bargain at any price.

1 Like

Some people just like to play in the mud and enjoy themselves.

2 Likes

Well I’m not sure how to feel…there was something about broken drywall and a patron holding down his stack of ones with a glass eye that I found appealing…same with good prices…great location and fond memories…out with the full array of green brand bottles and dekuypers and in with some foo foo stuff im sure…

After Years Away, a Legendary Hollywood Dive Bar Turns on the Neon Once More - Eater LA

1 Like

An Iconic Hollywood Dive Bar Is Back and Just as Gritty as Ever - Eater LA

“Just as gritty as ever” – well that’s impossible. EaterLA showing its true stripes as pay to play bullshit.

Still fond hazy memories there and will check it out before or after a show at the bowl one of these nights.

La Louisiane, 5812 Overhill Dr, Los Angeles (Inglewood-ish)

Live music 7 days a week. Some nice blues, jazz, soul and other local talent.

Nice hurricanes and some decent food. Not a dive bar per se, but a cool place to drink for cheap and enjoy some great music.

The Blunder , Mountain Ranch, Calaveras County. The review(s) say it all.

1 Like

On the way back from Fieldwork we passed McBears. With a name like that, and since I spend most of my time in WeHo and Berkeley, I just couldn’t resist. I rather liked it. Nice mellow joint, good outdoor patio, good prices, nice folks…I think it used to be something else. I’d choose this over Hotsy Totsy these days in that neck of the woods

10458 San Pablo Ave El Cerrito

hey there’s a website too… – (mcbearssocialclub.com) (and I see it’s related to the Kensington Circus Pub which I haven’t been to in a while but that was good fun a decade or so ago!)

The Jury Room, 712 Ocean St, Santa Cruz. Across from the courthouse.

Hours: 6:00AM - 2:00AM.
Price: I believe beers are $6 now.
Ambiance: Dank. Known to allow smoking. Dog friendly
Entertainment: Sunday Karaoke, Free Pool, Darts, Occasional Live Bands. Jukebox. Claims to be a sports bar. It’s not.
Divey Cred: Notoriously the hangout of Ed Kemper in the 70’s.
Obligatory Yelp Hater: “If you like a rude blackout drunk bartender who ignores paying customers well he serves free drinks to his buddies this is a place for you”

2 Likes

Those kind of Yelp reviews are solid gold.

Haven’t been in forever, but back in the day, I lived in the Marina in SF. On Chestnut, I would pick up food to go at Los Hermanos and bring it to The Horseshoe Tavern. Total dive bar, some beers on draft, no food so you can bring whatever and sports on TV.

1 Like

I went there before I had to go through the jury duty picks . Ever been to the watering hole on the west side.

1 Like

I came here to mention Hockey Haven and The Nags Head. Something about the dive bars in the Richmond and Sunset being too remote for the (now gone) hipsters of the Mission and the Haight to discover helped them keep their true flavor.

1 Like