Cafe Panache - Ramsey [NJ]

Thanks Johnny. I’m not sure what part of the lobster was used in the lobster cake but it had nice chunks of lobster meat in it.
If you like bourbon and red wine then you would love this wine. You get a hint of bourbon with plenty of dark fruit. It contains 17% alcohol but is very smooth. I think Stew Leonard sells it and it is very reasonably priced at under $22.

@corvette_johnny not to turn this in to a bourbon thread, BUT.
-Angel’s Envy bourbon is aged in PORT barrels. YUMMY
-Asbury Park Distillery has a new gin that’s aged in bourbon barrels. I’m generally not a gin fan, but the mix mellows out the juniper (I haaaate the flowery scent/taste). I think it’s only available there–just tasted it, but my friend had an Old Fashioned made with it (I went traditional) and he enjoyed it.

We had another excellent dinner at Cafe Panache. I had a roast farmhouse duckling with braised red cabbage, in a blood orange coco sauce and Mrs. P had panko crusted tuna, with black gluten free rice, in a wasabi sake sauce. For appetizers we had a warm goat cheese salad, with roasted beets, spiced walnuts, and sumac. Below is a split portion. We also had Humboldt fog cheese with spiced walnuts, apples, and grapes. This was actually on the dessert menu but we love this cheese and had it as an appetizer. For dessert we had coconut sorbet with mango, papaya, pineapple, tahini and sesame seed crumb, and whipped cream. It all went great with a 2016 Seghesio Sonoma Red Zinfandel.

2016 - Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel

93 Points Wine Spectator

• Sub RegionSonoma
  • RegionCalifornia
  • Size750 mL
  • CountryUnited States
  • ABV14.8%
  • Varietal(s)Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Syrah / Shiraz, Carignan / Carinena

From the Critics:

• Loaded with rich, jammy fruit, this plump Zin is a pleasure to drink, with bold accents of wild berry, spicy cinnamon and licorice that glide dynamically toward plush tannins. Drink now through 2025. 122,500 cases made. - 93 Points Wine Spectator
4 Likes

That duck is looking and sounding fantastic. I think we should start a duck thread. I don’t think we have ever had one???

1 Like

The duck was very good. It was prepared two ways; a crispy duck leg confit, and a nice medium rare breast. The sauce went very well with it, as well as the wine :grinning:

We had another superb dinner at Cafe Panache Saturday night. We started off with very flavorful and spicy curried mussels imported from Holland with Thai lemon grass. Below is a split portion. We also had amazing green and white asparagus, which is just coming in season. Below is a split portion. For entrees I had a beautifully charred pan seared prime black angus sirloin steak with cognac peppercorn sauce, that was medium rare in the center. Mrs. P had a crispy tempura battered soft shell crab with eggplant. For dessert we had the light as a feather dark chocolate Bouchant with Chantilly cream. The steak went great with an outstanding 2016 Domaine De L’Harmas Chateauneuf Du Pape.

5 Likes

Is the red for the whole meal? It’s a good match for the steak, but how about the spiced mussels and soft-shell crab? But anyway, there are times we just want to drink what we want and forget about food matching. Ha!

LOL, so you are eating Dutch mussels. Here too, most mussels we bought came from there. They must be exporting for the whole world!

3 Likes

Yes, the red wine is for the whole meal. The curry sauce had a nice kick to it, and went well with the red wine. My wife & I only drink red wine :slightly_smiling_face: Also, the soft shell crabs came with a nice eggplant caponata that went well with the red. I know some people might think that it is sacrilegious to drink red wine with fish, but like you said @naf we just drink what we want, and forget about pairing the wine with the food :grinning:

Those Dutch mussels are amazing; so big and juicy. Most restaurants here serve PEI mussels. I like the Dutch ones better.

3 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Cafe Panache. Below is a link to the details and pictures from the WFD thread.

3 Likes

Looking good Eli! I need a good pork chop. It’s been a while. Tell Mrs P the crabbing should start heating up soon. Last weekend was a total bust. I tried hard. I went to different spots on several days, and tried all different depths and I just couldn’t find them. The relentless wind leading up to the weekend shut down the bite I believe. The bay was all turned up.

1 Like

We had another fabulous dinner at Cafe Panache. Details and pictures are in the main WFD thread below.

1 Like

We had another outstanding dinner at Cafe Panache.
We started off with an amazing whole Maitake mushroom in a sesame and lime soy sauce. We also had to have one of the last sweet corn agnolotti of the season. For entrees Mrs. P had sautéed shrimp with a roasted heirloom tomato stuffed with fresh ricotta, chopped almonds, and fresh basil. I had pan seared scallops with a dijon beurre blanc and a timbale of vegetables. For dessert they split a slice of freshly baked coconut cake (that was so light and airy), with coconut sorbet. We drank a 2014 Clos St. Jean Chateauneuf du Pape.

6 Likes

Everything looks great. I love maitakes, corn agnolotti and the sear on those scallops looks perfect.

1 Like

Thanks @TheCookie! Everything was delicious. The lime and sesame soy sauce went surprisingly well with the maitake mushroom.

2 Likes

@paryzer

The yellow fin tuna on a bed of black rice, is stunning.

1 Like

It was the fabulous Mrs. P’s birthday tonight and we had an awesome dinner at Cafe Panache. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

4 Likes

what a lovely celebration!

1 Like

Happy Birthday Mrs. P
I am sure yo are still as gorgeous as ever!

1 Like

Thank you @ccj! I’ll convey the message to her. Mrs. P is like a fine wine; she gets better with age :blush:

1 Like

We had another fabulous dinner with our friends at Cafe Panache. We enjoyed duck, halibut, lobster, short ribs, filet mignon ravioli, lobster bisque with mussels, pear and butternut squash bisque, arugula and mushroom salad, octopus and eggplant caponata, and some great wines.

8 Likes