Bye being censored is bad!

Not quite. It’s definitely in the same vein, but this one is too mature and includes decision making.

“Throwing his dummy out of the pram” could also refer to an extremely precocious ventriloquist who’s tired of his job. :slight_smile:

Well, if you have a better “translation,” lay it on me.

1 Like

Oh leave the guy alone…geezus. He’s a several tour veteran( and I have no reason to doubt that.). I also still lurk on CH so watched the Berry thread unfold. When he showed up here I thought oh no trouble will follow. And sure enough it did. I personally didn’t have a problem with his China comment. He should have just stuck around., but I’m not him.

2 Likes

That’s why I took the time to explain to him exactly what happened. The shame of the situation is his take was completely backwards. The “system” and the end result all worked as they should and his post was restored as-is. His over-reaction was premature and/or he could have inquired before exploding over an incorrect assumption.

4 Likes

Explaining something to a person who has already made up their mind - not just about that subject, but about everything - is futile. I’m glad you tried though, I guess it was still the right thing to do.

3 Likes

Thank you. I view myself not only as a moderator but also The Ambassador of the Onions.

1 Like

Do you consult with the Leek consular general?
Mr. Garlic wants to know.
:slight_smile: :cactus:

2 Likes

I have two nephews who are stand-up guys (one Air Force, one Navy). They will tell you serving tours doesn’t make you a good guy. Good guys are good guys; a^^holes are a^^holes. And there are both types in all branches of the service.

6 Likes

A person does not become a hero, or even a good person, just by showing up for work. The armed forces are unfortunately a strong magnet for some of the worst people (along with many good people).

“I’m right, and this gun proves it” is unfortunately the closest that some people get to having an idea; joining an organization where guns are involved is obviously attractive to such a person.

4 Likes

This. I don’t agree with many of the offending posts, but that’s okay.

I was very hesitant to reply to a thread about Nadiya Hussein’s television programs the other day. The thread was started in a fun-spirited manner. My response was going to contain some criticism. What should I do? Is what I have to say really worth ruining positivity for other participants?

Having to be careful about exactly how I word posts so I don’t disrupt a vibe or hurt others’ feelings is taxing and limits my enjoyment of forums like Hungry Onion. As a Baltimorean, Pakistani, Desi, Muslim, etc, I find some comments offensive from time to time, even comments that most others with those affiliations would not find offensive. However, I don’t think everyone should tip-toe around me just because I have those sensitivities. I can ignore those comments and still learn a great deal. And it’s mostly opinion and subjective discussion here. I wish I didn’t have to go out of my way to reinforce that subjectiveness with every single sentence.

To me, crab rangoons aren’t authentic. Disclaimer: I know many Chinese Americans love crab rangoons and there’s no such thing as authentic. Tomatoes/Italy, Chilis/India.”

“Trader Joe’s kringles are too mushy and sweet for me, but I’m not really a kringle person.”

“Those eggs look overcooked to me. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with overcooked eggs if that’s what you like.”

“Keep your knives sharp, unless, of course, you enjoy cutting yourself. I’m not judging.”

For me, it’s getting to be a bit too much.

2 Likes

Since the OP of this thread did not hesitate to type their anger in a rude and insulting way I was hard pressed to find an opening of calm. They didn’t give this community the benefit of the doubt. Several people tried to help.

Sure, I have been corrected and moderated privately and deleted a few times. I have seen this measure happen to many here. I think it’s par for the course in keeping civility and fairness and FUN. All 3 of which were lacking in the OP’s final comments.

Pleasing everyone, understanding each other…all we can do is try.

2 Likes

I think you’re creating a very misleading false equivalence. I don’t tiptoe on HO, I say whatever I want to say, and people disagree with me if they want to. I have better days and worse ones, but I’m bold enough right now to say that I’m not an a$shole ALL the time.

OP posted because he was one, and left because he was one. There’s a huge difference between “Don’t have an opinion” and “Don’t be an a$shole” - it isn’t helpful to pretend they’re the same thing.

6 Likes

I think this depends on the country. Most countries willingly publicize their acceptance of an onion representative, but some of them refuse to be seen taking a leek.

4 Likes

(Hahahaha love this sub-thread that has spun off here, Come on people come join some light heartedness let’s leave the subject alone and remember it’s ok to disagree!!)

1 Like

And the free ammo too according to Timothy McVeigh. :wink:

1 Like

Know your audience. I may have had some deletions on rare occasions but took no offense.

1 Like

the curious bit:

HO was established due to the outrage over censoring at CH.

I’ve never heard or seen of a Forum that would “auto-hide” comments based on members reporting/‘un-liking’/whatever, but perhaps I’m not old enough yet.

You can even auto hide or delete your own comments.

1 Like

I absolutely promise you that you’re being censored on every website everywhere, except for the ones you own. It would be ludicrous if that wasn’t the case. (I also guarantee that if you do own websites, you’re censoring what other people say on them.)

The difference is in what it takes to get censored, what they will and won’t accept, not in whether it’s happening.

2 Likes