Butter - which is your favorite, and for what purpose

Which brands of butter do people favor - specifically for spreading on toast, frying food, incorporating in to baked goods, and making pastry. Let’s call toast T, frying F, and baking B, and maybe P for pastry.

To make this easy to read, can we try a format like, then it will be possible to do some stats:
T:
F:
B:
P:
Comments:

You keep several brands and styles of butter all at the same time?
Wow :flushed:

2 Likes

They must have a much larger fridge than I do.

1 Like

Whatever is on sale. Usually store brand. I use it for all of the above.

2 Likes

Kerry Gold Salted
Unsalted Clover for Clarifying

In this house I keep the regular grocery store brand (recently called ‘Food Club’) and Kirkland brand, both salted and unsalted for general use. (sauté, scrambling, baking etc.) One stick is in the cabinet. All the rest and other butters are kept in the freezer.
Kerry Gold for finishing.
I used some Plugra yesterday in an Alfredo sauce.
Natural Grocer’s plant based buttery sticks for spreading on: toast, pancakes, waffles, etc. I like their taste best.
My grocery store has 1-1/2# roll of Amish style butter in salted, unsalted and ‘extra rich’, which must mean higher fat content, I guess. I’ve been meaning to try that.

1 Like

Amish “style” butter is a marketing ripoff.
All it seems to mean is rolled instead of in rectangular portions.

3 Likes

Supermarket own label organic unsalted butter. It gets used for everything that calls for butter - from sandwiches, through baking, to frying.

1 Like

TFBP: Lactantia European style cultured butter for most things.

FB: Whatever unsalted butter is on sale for clarifying

B: President high fat unsalted cultured for European baking, especially croissants.

T: Homemade cultured high fat unsalted

1 Like

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We have an Amish community nearby and they have a store with most of the items ‘imported’ from out of the area, like Indiana. Caveat emptor!

I bake a lot, so I buy Smart & Final’s house brand unsalted butter in three pound packages. I keep the unopened butter in the freezer.

For spreading on toast, I like pretty much any salted, cultured butter. The brand I buy most often is President. I buy two or three half pound packages and keep the unopened ones in the freezer.

I use either of the above for candymaking depending on what the recipe calls for.

I always have a jar of ghee. The brand doesn’t matter to me. What matters is that it’s packaged in glass as I try to reduce my consumption of single use plastic.

Generally, we just keep the Hannaford’s unsalted in the house for everything. Sometimes Cabot. I did splurge on “Kate’s” from Maine recently when I got a Whole Foods delivery. I liked that a lot too.

Like herding cats! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:How about a poll?

Yeah, I don’t normally have more than 2 types of butter at once, and usually it’s just 1.

T: Kate’s salted (but I normally only have unsalted for cooking for home)
F: I don’t normally fry with butter, unless you mean what occasionally goes into the saute pan. Unsalted Kirkland, or unsalted Kerry’s gold
B: Plugra unsalted
P: Plugra unsalted

Whichever butter is on sale that week. I’m not too picky

4 Likes

My usuals are Land O’Lakes and Finlandia, with Kate’s and Kerrygold making an appearance when I find it at a good price. I’ll buy Cabot’s on occasion as well. All salted. I buy in quantity and store in the downstairs garage freezer.

LOL is used in most baking and sautéing.

Animal Farm and I use it to keep myself in a state of regular bankruptcy.

Cool :sunglasses:
Rogue Creamery has stopped making butter as the popularity of their cheeses has soared in popularity.
:frowning:
I’ve been buying this butter from Crescent City but I don’t know how far their distribution network extends.

1 Like

I just keep salted and unsalted, preferably French. Spares in the freezer.

1 Like

I buy Challenge unsalted when Safeway puts it on sale, then I freeze.

I used to love the TJ salted cultured butter from Brittany but it’s been discontinued a while. I tried something new at Costco, they have both salted and unsalted (I bought salted) butter from New Zealand, $8 for 2 lbs, I like it a lot.

Sometimes Grocery Outlet has had Sea Salt President, that I love but they rarely have it.

2 Likes