British food

For better or worse, the majority of hot cross buns I’ve seen in the US have an icing cross, not a dough one.

2 Likes

This is a Canadian hot cross bun, from the Farm Boy grocery store chain. Mostly dough crosses in southwestern Ontario and in Toronto.

The chocolate chip hot cross buns are more likely to have a chocolate icing cross.

I confess to not really liking hot cross buns. It’s the spicing that doesnt sit well with me. And much as I like them in other contexts, I’m not convinced that marmalade or bacon is going to chnage my view. :grinning:

1 Like

I also tried bacon, marmalade and HP on a regular white bap/ bun and it was pretty good! Maybe try that! I think bacon, apricot jam and HP would also work, as well as bacon, mango chutney and HP.

That’s worth a try. It’s the hot cross bun that’s my problem. A plain white bap (or “barm” as it is in this part of England) always works with bacon.

1 Like

The last time I ate a hot cross bun was several decades ago, and the cross was made with some kind of very thin paper.

1 Like

An interesting development:

2 Likes

I had a really nice Turkish breakfast in Cambridge 5 years ago!

Sounds like the Turks and Syrians are taking over the Cafes from the Poles.

A lot of Turkish breakfast spots and cafes have opened in Toronto and London, Ontario, Canada over the past 18 months, as Canada’s population grows with newcomers.

5 Likes

I now have two Turkish run cafes within walking distance of home. Both offer the Full Turkish (similar to Phoenikia’s photo) as well as the Full English.

3 Likes

Whenever I’m in the region, I stock up on flapjacks, peanut butter Kit-Kats, and *Crunchie."
Unhealthy, sure, but dems da breaks.

Slight breach of Brit etiquette, there.

“Nobody really likes the tomatoes that usually come with a full English breakfast so why shouldn’t we swap them for a grilled pineapple slice?”

1 Like

The first full English breakfast I ever had, more than 55 years ago, had a grilled pineapple slice!

2 Likes

Not that it has any personal appeal as something to eat with a fry-up, I understand the logic of incorporating pineapple. It’s a classic offering alongside a gammon steak, as an alternative to a fried egg. Sometimes, you get lucky and come across a place that will offer both egg and pineapple together - but it is usually an “either/or”. It’s in the tradition of something fruity with something piggy.

2 Likes

That bread looks absolutely horrendous, did you actually eat it?

It looks like a fairly average baguette to me. Which part of it strikes you as “absolutely horrendous?”

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Apple. An interesting choice of first post. Folk usually leave it a couple of posts before diving in with the contentious ones. Bread looks pretty much as you’d expect to find in a cafe (or, for that matter, in many restaurants in Spain). Bought in frozen from the catering wholesaler and just needs baking. What’s horrendous about it, please?

6 Likes

It reminds me of something a cheap caterer would serve up, previously frozen and baked. Zero flavour or chew, dry and crumbly after a short while. A rather anaemic excuse for “bread”. There is so many wonderful real Turkish breads.
I didn’t think I was being contentious in my previous post.

1 Like

Those are quite a few assumptions based on a visual impression, but I’m sure @Phoenikia will be happy to chime in & let you know.

3 Likes

I actually ate it. In September 2018.

It was fine.

The more memorable part was as the sujuk omelette and cheese.

The restaurant is located on the King’s Parade in Cambridge, and it serves both Full English as well as Turkish breakfasts. The client base is international, and not necessarily people seeking out Turkish cuisine or specialty breads. The restaurant is run by Turks. I don’t think a specialty Turkish breakfast joint would be the right fit for King’s Parade.

Your Mileage May Vary. That’s the beauty of this Board.

4 Likes