Big British and Irish Breakfasts

Some of my breakfasts from this recent visit. I started out pescatarian but ended up eating more sausage the second half of my visit.

Veggie Garden breakfast at the Ivy
Soho Brasserie in London
Grilled halloumi, avocado, poached hen’s eggs,
hollandaise, potato hash, flat mushrooms, roast plum
tomatoes, watercress and baked beans
Served with a choice of white, granary or gluten-free toast

Full English at The Game Bird at the Stafford in London, around 30.00

Bill’s Restaurant in Oxford (chain restaurant)
Bill’s Garden Breakfast
Two poached eggs, halloumi, roasted plum tomato, charred peppers, smashed avocado, hollandaise, pea shoots, mixed seeds and sourdough toast 8.95

Vaults & Garden in Oxford , Vegetarian Breakfast, 8.00

Turl St Kitchen in Oxford

Heritage tomato and peppers, beet hummus and avocado breakfast, sourdough 7.75 at the Turl St Kitchen in Oxford

Peacock at Rowsley FEB

Fitzbillies in Cambridge

Fitzbillies FEB in Cambridge, 10.00

Fitzbillies Chelsea Bun in Cambridge

Copper Kettle in Cambridge

Traditional Turkish breakfast at Copper Kettle in Cambridge, 8.95

12 Likes

Yum, yum, and triple yum. Breakfast galore!! You’re killing me! :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip re: The Ivy Soho Brasserie !
I’m back in Canada now, and seeing my dietitian on Thu, so breakfast today was instant porridge. Maybe that makes you feel a little better? :wink:

1 Like

I’m in the same boat - having to rein in my appetite after returning last weekend from a 2-week trip to Brussels/Glasgow/London. I go back to Singapore next weekend for my quarterly appointment with my cardiologist!

1 Like

Those are some good looking brekkies. I quite fancy the Turkish - although I’m not convinced by the idea of cucumber.

1 Like

Nice looking dishes! Liked especially the mushrooms and eggs plate.

1 Like

That looked delicious! Is it a kind of cinnamon roll?

In France, there is raisin bread (pain au raisin) that looks a bit similar. But not as much sugar glaze on the top.

2 Likes

A classic of British baking, naf. Although no cinnamon.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. Is this pretty common too?

Usually Chelsea buns contain dried currants or raisins. Mincemeat would be unusual, and it often is heavyhanded in terms of spice, esp clove.

The pastry used in Chelsea buns tend to be more like bread dough, rather than a Danish pastry dough or the Viennoisserie dough used in France .
The Chelsea bun is more closely related to the American sticky bun.

2 Likes

And a close relative of the Belgian bun.

1 Like

Yummy breakfasts pictures! Question to all those who live or have visited the UK. Do places ever make or serve scratch-made hashbrowns? Or some other kind of breakfast potatoes? I usually see these pre-formed triangles and honestly I would be upset if I paid 30.00 and got a manufactured hash brown patty.

1 Like

I’m of the view that hash browns don’t really belong on a cooked breakfast. I have eaten them when served a breakfast at a hotel but wouldn’t dream of making them to serve with a breakfast I’d cooked.

Being from London the potato element I like with my cooked breakfast is bubble and squeak, usually just referred to as bubble. This is a recent breakfast from Terry’s cafe in Borough, London. All the elements were very good. The bubble and squeak was lovely and crisp on the outside and fluffy in the middle. Too much bubble though and not enough squeak, just small specks of cabbage. A particular bugbear of mine is not enough cabbage in bubble & squeak, though preferable to the abomination of frozen peas and diced carrots in a bubble and squeak.

7 Likes

Yes & yes. But fairly rarely. Hashbrowns are not part of a traditional “full English”. Traditionally, the carb on the plate would have been fried bread (or, occasionally, fried potatoes) but most places have replaced the bread with the American hashbrown, bought in frozen from the wholesaler. That said, bubble & squeak is a common addition to breakfast in the London area but you wouldnt generally come across it elsewhere in the country (unless you were staying in a Premier Inn, where it’s been on the menu for a couple of years now).

In similar vein, the traditional grilled tomato has been largely replaced with baked beans, particularly at the bottom end of the market. It’s just e asier to open a tin, rather than actually cook.

6 Likes

Some places combine both sentiments. I’ve been to a few B&Bs that dutifully dole out a canned tomato as part of the fry up. Actively vile.

1 Like

I presume you were moderate in your language on this family friendly forum.

It’s more that I couldn’t think of appropriate swears for something so maleovelant. Clearly I need to up my game, maybe a stage in a Ramsay kitchen would sort me out.

I’m actually not a fan of tomato on the plate and will usually leave the still almost raw grilled one pushed to one side. But the tinned version is impossible to avoid. Deeply unpleasant.

1 Like

Nash’s Belgian Buns in Oxford Covered Market
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnvoZLPhMkI/

2 Likes

Photo makes me hungry. I was particularly interested in the “Banbury Cakes” which I’d never heard of before. Apparently a more oval version of the Eccles Cake which is just behind it.

The Eccles Cake seems to have taken on foody credentials in the last couple of years and you now see it on restaurant dessert menus. And not just in the northwest. But you still raraley see its shortcrust cousin - the Chorley Cake, which I prefer (not least as you don’t get as many crumbs down your shirt).

1 Like