British food

The absence of Stovies (top tier imho) makes me doubt this whole enterprise (because of course memes are peer-reviewed research otherwise).

1 Like

I’m sure we’ve previously discussed the chart on bbqboy’s link. Can’t recall exactly the nature of YouGov’s survey pool but have a feeling that it was mainly “young people” which may explain why traditional foods do not rate highly.

With the exception of jellied eels, I am very happy to eat anything on the list.

3 Likes

I bet you end up disappointed.

2 Likes

If I ever make it. My list is very long LOL. And I’m very lazy.

2 Likes

You’re very lucky. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen smoked kippers in the US, not even at the great Acme smoked fish plant in Brooklyn. The tinned ones pop up from time to time, but they’re not the same.

2 Likes

Maybe these are worthy trying? https://www.scottishgourmetusa.com/product/whole-scottish-smoked-kippers-for-breakfast

This is the brand I can buy in Canada.

Just a query. Upthread you mentioned you can buy frozen Manx kippers. Is that a separate source from these Scottish kippers?

I misremembered. Thanks for pointing that out.

No worries. Manx kippers are probably the most readily available across the UK. That said, there’s a tradition of producing kippers in the areas along the eastern side of the UK, where herring fishing used to go on in great numbers.

For example, the village of Craster is near where we’ve often stayed in Northumberland (northeast England) and is famous for its kippers. You might like to try this idea

By the by, the Jolly Fisherman Inn, in Craster, does the most fantastic crab sandwich

2 Likes

I hope I can visit the UK in 2024 or 2025. So many places I would like to visit.

1 Like

Isn’t black pudding supposed to be part of a Full English? Seems like there’s a disconnect with a crap tier item being part of the Full English (top tier) . Does that mean that most people just ignore the black pudding in their Full English?

As someone who recently spent time in Ireland, I found the pudding to be a tasty part of the breakfast. I prefer black to white. I realize that what I was eating was technically a Full Irish.

I ask restaurants to hold the Black Pudding because I don’t enjoy it, I don’t need calories from foods I don’t enjoy, less waste and more for somebody who enjoys it.

I don’t eat things I don’t like to be authentic. I like the rest of the English breakfast.

Also, vegetarian Full English breakfasts are found all over the place in the UK, and they never have black pudding. I don’t think it’s necessary for a breakfast to have Black Pudding for it to be called an a Full English breakfast just because it’s traditionally part of one.

Big British and Irish Breakfasts

1 Like

More so in the northern half of the country, thankfully. But then we northerners do miss out on the London staple of “bubble & squeak” with their Full English.

1 Like

One of the producers of the Bury black pudding also makes a vegetarian version. I don’t know what they use to replace the pigs blood but it works. They used to sell at a local farmers market and the owner once told me that the blood and pork fat are the only things they take out for the vegetarian version. All the main flavourings remain the same

This local vegetarian restaurant often has it on the menu. Currently amongst the nibbles, served with a mustard mayo dip.

2 Likes

Dishoom has a vegetarian version on offer (and it’s very nice). And a natural foods shop near me carries a vegan version that I love to have on hand. Blood sausage and black pudding were the things I missed most of not eating pig so these were welcome discoveries.

2 Likes

The one I mentioned from the company in Bury is actually vegan. And available in Asda. Meanwhile Sainsbury stocks a vegan product made in Perthshire.

1 Like

I didn’t know the Church of England banned Hot Cross Buns for a short period of history! https://www.ravenhook.com/bread-blog/hot-cross-buns

1 Like

Oh, Yorkshire curd tart is just fab. And, I’m sorry to say, the county also produces the country’s best fish & chips, IMO. I think it’s because many place still use beef dripping for the frying

2 Likes

I wish I had fish & chips on my only visit to Yorkshire.

My best & most memorable UK fish & chips experience was in a small old-fashioned spot in Budleigh Salterton in Devon. http://www.budleighfishandchips.co.uk/

1 Like