British food

I didn’t know the Church of England banned Hot Cross Buns for a short period of history! https://www.ravenhook.com/bread-blog/hot-cross-buns

1 Like

Oh, Yorkshire curd tart is just fab. And, I’m sorry to say, the county also produces the country’s best fish & chips, IMO. I think it’s because many place still use beef dripping for the frying

2 Likes

I wish I had fish & chips on my only visit to Yorkshire.

My best & most memorable UK fish & chips experience was in a small old-fashioned spot in Budleigh Salterton in Devon. http://www.budleighfishandchips.co.uk/

1 Like

Ah, now you have gone too far! LOL!
I love fish and chips served the English/British way, and the mushy peas that frequently are offered with them are a rather good side, if done reasonably well.
Britain has some of the best cheeses in the world, their beef is world class and when served close to rare it can be a delight. A plowmans may be simple but it is a fine lunch. Both duck and goose can be expected to be prepared pretty well and lamb can be expected to be done JUST RIGHT.
There is no better breakfast in the world than an English Breakfast, in part due to the fact that the sausage, mushrooms and streaky bacon are better than in most other places. Charcuterie… May be better in France or Italy, but England does a pretty good job.
A Sunday Roast, a Shepard’s Pie, a Cornish Pasty, a Bacon Butty, Scones…
If you have not eaten well in the UK, you are doing it wrong.

7 Likes

Big British and Irish Breakfasts

Absolutely agree, one can eat exceptionally well in the UK.

One of the most underrated countries for food. I’d say the UK, the Netherlands, Germany and Russia get a bad rap. Lots of delicious and interesting food to be found.

3 Likes

Your Budleigh Salteron place looks good. A sound committment to local produce which is always a good sign.

Next time you get back to Yorkshire, head for Whitby for some of the best fish & chips you’re likely to come across.

2 Likes

Will do.

I hope my next trip will include Scotland, so I might fly into Newcastle or Manchester, the travel around the North of England, Edinburgh and some smaller scenic regions I haven’t visited in Scotland.

I visited Whitby, but it was part of a day trip while I was based in York. Both our evening meals were in York. We also visited a nice historic tea room in York. I regret only posting the photos to Chowhound, rather than posting some here as well.

This is one place where I enjoyed dinner in York. http://bennettscafeandbistro.weebly.com/

1 Like

Why do you refrigerate your HP sauce?

Way back in the 1990’s I decided I was going to walk across the UK and I picked the paths going from St. Margarets Bay to Penzance. The Coast Paths and South Downs Way, mostly. I split it into 3 Christmas breaks, doing a third of the trip each year.
One afternoon on the second year I visited a pub in Dorchester, splashed in mud and obviously a bit worn out. One of the regulars asked where I had come from and I told him I had come from Poole that day but I had started the walk in Lewes 8 or 9 days before. The regular looked at his friends, nodded, and said something along the lines of, “That is a bloody long walk! Lewes! They all talk like frogs there!” Now it was a long walk for me, probably 130 miles or so, but does the accent really change that much in such a short distance? In the South? I thought the regional accents were more of a Northern thing?
But supposedly there is a big difference between Dorchester and Lewes. Or the bar crowd was messing with my mind, which is a distinct possibility.
The clearest memory of those walks, though, is the day I walked past the Long Man without noticing it. I think I was on a path just to the north of the figure, but when I got to Alfriston I made the mistake of admitting that I had somehow missed the Long Man in all its glory, 235 foot of chalk and I did not notice it. The pub crowd loved it. I did get a free pint out of the embarrassing experience, at least.
Sorry for the threadjack…

3 Likes

British accents can be very localised. Your walk from Lewes to Dorchester (lovely little town) probably passed through several slightly differing accent areas. They’d be noticeable to locals but, probably, not to northwesterners like myself.

2 Likes

Somehow, this came to mind. And I also apologize for the thread hijack :grimacing:

2 Likes

Maybe more like this:

2 Likes

I refrigerate HP and steak sauces. I figure it lasts a little longer.

It takes me 3 years to get through a bottle. I also refrigerate Worcestershire, ketchup, fish sauce, soy sauce, peanut butter, mustard, and chutney . All my condiments apart from vinegar are stored on the shelves attached to the the fridge door.

1 Like

Agree, Harters.

All of those live in the cupboard in this house. Along with a number of other bottles and jars - which usually tell you to fridge after opening but which never seem to deteriorate when you dont. On the other hand, I fridge things like Middle Eastern pickles which don’t last too well. Indeed, only last night I had to toss half a jar of Kurdish pickled baby cucumbers that had been quite happy in the fridge for some months but then developed mould.

1 Like

I refrigerate everything you mentioned, Phoenikia, except for the HP sauce, (because I do not use it) and the peanut butter because I like its consistency better when it is room temperature.
My excuse is that my cupboards are full of spices, pastas and canned food because my pantry is so small.
These arbitrary choices may not make sense but I am sticking to them!

It is funny. I am not a great cook, though I like to cook quite a bit. I have been traveling for almost 5 months now and the one thing I miss the most is my kitchen. I really miss my friends, my car and my backyard. I kind of miss the rest of my house, and my library, and the town I lived in.
But what I miss the most is being able to just putter around my kitchen and prepare whatever food I wanted, the way I wanted it.

4 Likes

I enjoyed cooking while I was at a villa in Italy in 2017. Their produce, my kitchen! I haven’t cooked too often while travelling. I’ve also enjoyed cooking when I’ve had a kitchen at Aspen, in Beaver Creek and in Maui.

I bring back spices and condiments from my travels to use at home. I’m still using a seasoning salt I picked up in Japan in 2020, and some spice blends I bought in Munich in 2019. I brought home coffee from Hawaii.

This is a threadjack.

My 2020-2021-2022-2023 hobby is to buy coffee and granola from indie coffee shops in small towns in Ontario and Quebec when I pass through. All my travel has been road trips since March 2020, and this is my new souvenir thing.

Occasionally I buy small batch condiments and jams while road tripping, too. I currently have an blackberry apple jam from St Jacob’s in my fridge, as well as a curry ketchup from Eastern Ontario.

2 Likes

Wow! I hope it’s for pleasure!

2 Likes

It is! I retired a while back and my dog passed so i figure this is a great time to travel. So i gave away most of my stuff and stored the rest and took off in October.
My dog Soot.

The only photo i can find of my kitchen. I am not much of a pickler, unfortunately.

My backyard.

I guess I miss my dog most.

14 Likes