BRITISH - Fall 2020 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

@tomatotomato Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge has always had a really interesting selection of British cheeses. Hopefully that remains the case when we get back to being able to do that kind of shopping.

4 Likes

Hi Gretchen. I see they stock Montgomery Cheddar which, to my mind, is the finest Cheddar you’ll ever come across. And Kirkhams Lancashire which is probably the best Lancashire you’ll find outside the UK (although if you happened across Shorrocks Lancashire Bomb, snap it up quick for a real treat)

4 Likes

Super tip, thank you @GretchenS. As I only managed to go into Formaggio Kitchen on the weekend during The Before, the cheese case was mobbed during my visits.

You’ve given me another to-do for my list when It’s safe to return to that kind of in-store shopping again. :grinning:

3 Likes

John, it all sounds delicious. We’re having a very non British beef shin ragu with pappardelle. A happy new year to you.

Here is the recipe for the apricot chutney our English expat friend gave us for Xmas.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occasions/christmas/christmas-chutneys-pickles-and-preserves/spiced-apricot-and-orange-chutney![20201230_184142|700x700](upload://AhGmkj3CmYjSVlKzNmkMpyWiSIr.jpeg)

2 Likes

Squeaking in here on the last day of the year…

Fish pie for dinner last night - scallops, shrimp, and white fish (yellowtail) in a seafood stock-based sauce, topped with buttery mashed potato. I threw in some peas because we usually have them on the side with this. Sauce looks runny but that’s because I have no patience. It settled by the second helping.

I’ve been craving this all year, and it certainly hit the spot!

6 Likes

Looks delicious!

1 Like

I’d forgotten that one. My notes tell me I’ve only made it once - in August 1994. That’d be making it for Christmas use. The recipe comes from Delia’s Christmas book which was first published in 1990 and is still used in the house as a reference point. The notes tell me that it’s intended to have quite a thin consistency - much thinner than a normal chutney. Flavour was good but maybe it was the consistency that didnt quite work for me, hence no repeat. But enjoy - it’s hard to go wrong with a Delia Smith recipe.

2 Likes

Voting for next quarter is now open! Winter 2021 (Jan-Mar) Cuisine of the Quarter - VOTING

Our friend makes it, and it has the thickness of a regular chutney. She might’ve /must’ve altered the recipe.

I’ve not ever made chutney!

Wishing you and your wife a happy and healthy New Year, @Harters!

We have been enjoying several Welch varieties from Snowdonia Cheese Company. “Red Storm Vintage Red Leicester” and surprisingly “Green Thunder”, an herb-and-garlic scented cheese that is haunting. Very well priced.

1 Like

I’m generally not a fan of flavoured cheeses, so havent tried many of the offerings from the Snowdonia people. They do make a quite nice mature plain cheddar that would be worth a try if you come across it. Marketed as “Black Bomber”

2 Likes

Talking about cheese, we have bought a few of these cheddar in the last few months. They are sealed in wax.

My favourite among them is the smoked cheddar and the vintage.

@Harters do you know the brands brand? Are they decent?

1 Like

My question is, do you like them? Like wine, there are professional judgements and personal appreciation. We eat and drink what pleases us, and serve our guests product we think they will enjoy.

1 Like

Personally I like them quite a lot, my neighbour also likes them. H, not that much, he finds it close to mimolette. We found them in Metro, they have a small section of cheddar which can’t easily be found in other places, including artisan cheese shops, which sells mostly French cheese.

Has its adherents, table and culinary uses. We celebrate many different cheeses each in and for its own worth.

1 Like

Both are quite well known. Godminster is mainly found in more “up-market” outlets here in the UK, with Wyke Farms being more widely available, maybe because it’s a bigger producer? I like them both very much.

“Montgomery’s”, “Kean’s” and “Lincolnshire Poacher” are often at the top of any “Best Cheddar” lists, but they may be hard to find outside the UK. You may have more luck finding the excellent “Quicke’s”. Of the mass produced cheddars “Davidstow” and “Seriously Strong” are both very good:

2 Likes

We have a cheese shop in Annapolis MD that carries some British cheeses. We’ve dipped into that https://tastingsgourmetmarket.com/product-category/cheese/united-kingdom/ a few times.

My adopted home town is a bit of a culinary wasteland. Our cheese shop is one of few exceptions.

Our cheese shop takes phone orders and does curbside pickup. Good food in a socially responsible fashion.

Still can’t locate a ploughman’s lunch outside my own kitchen.

I’ve nothing really to add to Robin’s assessment of British cheddars. Montgomery remains our favourite, although as a “cooking cheese” we usually buy Cathedral City because of its ready availablitity in supermarkets.

Except to add to the list of the “second tier” the products from the Snowdownia Cheese Company. They make a range of cheddars. I do not care for flavoured cheese so, whilst I’ve tasted those products at food fairs, I’ve never bought any. That said, their original unflavoured "Black Bomber " cheddar is an excellent mature one and I know they export, so you may find it

3 Likes

@RobinJoy @Harters

Thanks for the explanations. I’ll try to find the brands you mentioned here.