Bread crumbs, Panko and otherwise

I seldom use breadcrumbs except made from homemade or bought and staled bread. I have a crabcakes recipe that calls for panko crumbs (or are they rice?), which I have around, but in an opened bag that has been resealed untouched long enough for its “Best By” date to be in 2018.

I tasted them, and they seem okay. But I wonder: do you think bread crumbs go “bad”?

Makes me wonder too if there are other “permanent” pantry staples of note…

1 Like

They def go stale but use your nose as your guide. Do they smell moldy, yeasty or off?
After a year at most I would toss. 6 months is my usual hold time.

4 Likes

Thanks: no smell or mold. I only thought that after the initial flakey-crispy texture, which was abundant, they just might have been a bit chewier after a couple seconds–but the, I rarely eat panko straight up.

I almost always keep panko crumbs around, although I and not use them much (usually for crab cakes!). In my home I worry more about a “rancid” smell, but since I dont believe they have much if any oil, they are usually fine for my needs.

Sometimes I remember to put them in the freezer.

4 Likes

I’ve also wondered whether dried Thai/Viet-style rice noodles ever go “bad.”

Rice, itself, too.

1 Like

Hi @BadaBing! This year since I’m limiting trips to the store, I had to rethink my usual benign neglect approach to stocking pantry staples.

Commercially prepared breadcrumbs and panko: I always taste and smell these for off-notes first and check the Best By date second. I think the date offers me only a vague indication of whether the product is fit for use. Their shelf life varies a lot depending on the environment. Panko lasts best for me—could be a year or more if tightly sealed.

Rice: Aroma is my guide. If the grains smell the least bit rancid or funky, it’s game over no matter what the Best By/Sell By date says. And is it just me, or do varieties of rice for risotto like Arborio seem to degrade the fastest? Longer-grain rices seem to store well for me pretty much indefinitely either in a tightly sealed container or vacuum packed.

Rice noodles: These seem to keep almost indefinitely for me. If I store them too long, they appear to become brittle in the package.

4 Likes

Just organizing some cupboards this morning and had to throw out a lot of Chinese and Indian condiments and such. I need to be careful of always wanting to have ‘everything’ on hand for all imagined menu needs.

4 Likes

I share this “wanting to have everything” thing–Mexican, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Italian, etc.–in addition to all the usual Americana. It’s occurred to me that I might do well to target one cuisine quarterly or the like. Because when I have 5 different types of soy sauce or from 3 or 4 countries, or countless vinegars, somethings are just sitting around…

3 Likes

Good idea!

I’ve definitely used panko well past its best by date, and I’m alive to write about it. :nerd_face: I think you’ve fine. Some Italian bread crumbs come with herbs, but Japanese panko I but has nothing and is itself rather blabs. I suppose it could smell off, but I’ve never found that with with my old panko.

2 Likes

Err, that was supposed to be “bland”…stupid autocorrect on that phone. And not to make it weird that I’m replying to my own post, I just took out a small bag of plain rice I bought at the local grocer and noticed a best by date. I’ve never noticed this before from the bags from the Asian grocer, but I suppose I go through those quick enough. This was supposed to be “best by April” which isn’t too bad, but I just made some last week when I had rice pilaf and didn’t notice any taste or texture difference.

1 Like