Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

Finally made the Jaffa cake. It was on my baking list for a while, after I saw a homemade version on a TV cooking competition a few years ago. I know and quite like the version one can purchase in the biscuit section in supermarkets, I don’t know how they are called in UK, probably just Jaffa cakes. In France, they are called Pim’s.

I’ve thought of making the regular size ones, but don’t have the moulds. I decide to make a giant one, with my 2 cooking pans.

Mine was less sweet compared to the Pim’s and the jelly was not as firm and concentrated in flavour compared to the industrial version. I use bitter chocolate vs the sweeter milk chocolate in Pim’s. Mine had orange zests in the jelly.

Maybe next time, I’ll try to make the regular size one.

12 Likes

Looks delicious. I love orange and chocolate together. Did you make the pattern on top with your cooling rack?

1 Like

LOL! No, my cooling rack was below the cake, the sponge cake was too soft and with the weight of jelly, I couldn’t move the cake. It was until I poured the chocolate, the cake hardened and I could finally move it. Actually, I used the garden sieve, which has the same pattern as the rack.

2 Likes

Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Served warm :yum:

4 Likes

Peach muffins. Defrosted peaches from the summer pick your own to enjoy in the midst of cold NJ winter. This is a very quick one bowl diced fresh fruit with lemon zest batter. The original recipe calls for raspberries.

7 Likes

Lemon Olive Oil Cake

Here you go @Rooster - the recipe I use for lemon olive oil cake; I make a larger one, rather than minis, and omit the thyme. Really easy. Enjoy!

1 Like

When you say larger, do you mean in a 9x5 loaf tin or a bundt pan? What size did you use? Thxs!

1 Like

Oh, sorry - works out great in an 8x8 pan, and last time I made it, was perfect in a 6 cup Bundt pan @Rooster.

2 Likes

Yum! I have frozen nectarines that would be good in this too. I made very similar muffins a couple of weeks ago - straight up batter with lemon zest and some mostly dehydrated (then frozen) upick strawberries from last summer.

1 Like

Marble bundt cake from ‘Midwest Made’. Very nice and moist but next time I’ll either omit the choc chips or used chopped choc instead. Didn’t care for the hard dots of choc in the cake, I think chopped choc might be less intrusive. Or a ganache glaze…

7 Likes

Beautiful cake @Elsieb, and gorgeous plate! Have the cookbook due to one of your creations, so, good to know about your rec away from the chocolate chips.

Next time, I will make a loaf; stays moister longer and the diced fruit distributes more evenly than muffins.

1 Like

We made ice cream sandwiches out of these; with salted pecan ice cream.

1 Like

I freeze the muffins we don’t finish. Usually about 48 hrs after they’re baked. If you take them out of the freezer, briefly thaw them in the micro (30 sec?) and then put them in a toaster over, they revive nicely. That should keep yours from drying out.

Thanks on the plate. The pattern is Indian Tree.

1 Like

Rare as it is, we don’t own a microwave. I bake small batch if I’m not sharing.

1 Like

Huh. I’ve never bought one either, but I’ve never lived in a place that didn’t already come with one. I’d have to make a lot of daily adjustments without one!

The house we live in may have had one at some point but we don’t. Never saw the need.

I was craving a NY style cheesecake - it’s been years since I baked one. Do you think I could find my recipe? Hell no. So… I got lucky. I tried the recipe from Tori Avery. Simple & outstanding. I’ll post a picture of what’s left later.

2 Likes

13 Likes