Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

I store an open package in an airtight jar in the frig and have been working from that large sack for two years already. So shelf life for starters is impressive over small packets from RedStar. The yeast blooms beautifully. I have used it in place of starter and created reliable sourdough starter using just a 1/4 tsp and two day feedings. A great value for its size. It never fails and proofs reliably even when I cold store dough a few days. Makes excellent pizza dough.

Yep, I’m sold.

1 Like

Oh and no matter what type of flour I’m using, the yeast does it’s job.

1 Like

Helpful intel. This occasional baker thanks you.

1 Like

Happy to share, the tahini shortbread cookies were a big hit last night.

1 Like

Woke up to a proofed loaf of maple pecan no knead bread ready for baking.

8 Likes

Wowza! Perfect!

I made a birthday cake! I’m not a cake baker so I can admit my past cakes have been very much hit or miss. But when things don’t work out, try try again, right? It’s an “Elvis Presley” cake that @shrinkrap posted. Intended for a bundt but baked in 2 cake pans instead. The quantity of sugar and butter involved made me a bit faint, but I realized I can eat a slice or two and give the rest to my hungry boys. We cut the sugar by layering the middles and top with lemon-lime curd, and served it with barely sweetened whipped cream.

10 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

It looks lucious!

2 Likes

Today I made my very first batch of speculaas (Dutch spice cookies) to give to our neighbor. Her oven isn’t working and parts to fix it are no longer available, so she’s not baking this season. Good reason to try out a new-to-me recipe, right?

The recipe is less fussy and more forgiving than I expected. These cookies took well to bumping up the amount of spices, which is something the recipient and I both enjoy. Will make these again.

6 Likes

Aren’t you nice and my goodness they are pretty!

2 Likes

Aww, thanks [blushes]. Simply repaying a kindness. My neighbor has graced us with her delicious homemade cookies many times.

2 Likes

The kitchen has morphed into the Greek Pastry kitchen once again. Baklava, koularakia and nut filled cookies that are NOT melamakarona - the closest I could find is Isli. There is even some doubt within the family. If anyone could enlighten me, I’d appreciate it.

These have or will be gifted, with a few reserved.

ETA: the nut filled cookies are quite fussy & these were the 1st attempt ever. Turned out amazing - my favorite of all the Greek pastries, by far. The dough is more like pate brisee than cookie dough - no eggs or leavening.

9 Likes

What makes it maple? Syrup? Extract? Quantity?

2 Likes

Spectacular!

Thank you! Think I’m going to make another Greek cookie tomorrow - Paxemadia, which is very similar to Biscotti; pretty easy to make too.

3 Likes

What a labor of love. Your lineup looks scrumptious!

4 Likes

Very impressed. I envy those getting them.

2 Likes

Cookies baked packed and mailed or delivered. Such a push to get all the varieties baked and packed and posted but it gave me some Christmas spirit. Christmas = baking😋

10 Likes