Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

Love baking with whey, and I agree - it amps up the yeast. Your loaf looks great BTW.

Thanks-I’m learning!

1 Like

Gorgeous loaf!

I have a first time milled flour order coming from Cairnspring Mills. Looking forward to trying new flours.

Very cool!

Last year I was all about trying to see what could be done with the most basic of ingredients given empty shelves and missing basics in pandemic panic.
(Shockingly, my best loaves came from very humble and cheap amazon fresh brand flour - happy belly iirc.)

1 Like

It will be fun to see if fresh milled has a considerable difference. Prompted by this video I fell hard for the idea of ordering.

Talk about comfort. She created the Cinnabon recipe.

3 Likes

Herbed flatbread baked from sourdough starter discard.

4 Likes

‘Glazed Apple slices’ from Midwest Made. Excellent! Apples seemed thicker than in the book pic, might reduce a bit next time (and there will be a next time). I was intrigued by the corn flakes under the apples, and she was right - they were not noticeable unless you were looking.

6 Likes

Cornflakes? More detail please. Looks delicious. Time for tea!

3 c of cornflakes crushed down to one cup and strewn over the bottom pastry, apples on top.
The crust was softer than pie crust, it had milk and a yolk. The cornflake taste did go way into the background.

2 Likes

I’m not understanding why the recipe called for cornflakes in that way. What does it add. I’m curious because I have seen cornflakes used in recipe for added crunch but if I’m following, not the case here…

Absorption of apple juices?

1 Like

Tahini shortbread cookies. A different take.

Dough requires a long chill so they don’t flatten and do not touch for 15 mins out of the oven so they firm up. More so because of the tahini.

9 Likes

Really? I thought the softened apple juice in a pie was part of the deliciousness.

Just dropping in to say the quality of dry yeast has really changed in my bread baking adventures. Having started this baking journey with zero knowledge for brands. I am sharing that I have tried the entire Red Star line and now that I use

I won’t be using anything else.

Such a big difference.

7 Likes

The apple mixture had no thickener so the cornflakes absorbed the liquid and the texture was perfect. Not meant to be like a pie. Apparently squares of this are ubiquitous in mid western bakeries. Serves perfectly and can be eaten out of hand.

2 Likes

Thanks, I learned something!

Sorry I never returned to followup that these cookies were outstanding. A bit of work to roll and cut but very delicious.

1 Like

Good stuff! Better than molasses.

I have Saf Instant yeast in the freezer. What have you observed about its qualities that won you over?

I’m more of an occasional baker, in case that’s not obvious, so it’s very interesting to learn from others with greater know-how.