Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

I’m going to try this bundt for Thanksgiving week. Similar to your beauty but with an espresso swirl.

2 Likes

Oh, now that’s intriguing! I think I am more of a coffee flavored person than a chocolate. I might have to make that change in my next iteration!

2 Likes

As am I.

1 Like

I made a (few) delicious barnbarcks this past few weeks. I just love the tea plumped raisins and sultanas. And of course, all the candied citrus is homemade.

9 Likes

Looks lovely!

1 Like

@honkman Would you share your proportions / tips for WW loaves?

My loaves tend to be quite compact / dense if I use more that 25% WW flour…

1 Like

I just ate the last 2 frozen cranberry orange mini muffins that I had actually baked a few weeks ago. No pic sorry! But it prompted me to share this hack with you all: to get orange flavor into your baked goods, orange marmalade is an excellent ingredient. In my experience, it’s orange punch is more pronounced than either juice or zest. It was excellent in the muffins.

6 Likes

Sure but it is nothing unusual/fancy and with this WW bread I went along with high hydration doughs from 5-Minutes-a-Day breads. It is important to weigh your flours (cups are way to inaccurate), use relatively high protein bread flour and additional gluten to get enough gluten formation and baking stone also helps:

750 g WW King Arthur flour
300 g Bread Flour (I like the KA Special Patent flour)
40 g Vital gluten
1 TBS dry Yeast
1 TBS Kosher salt
925 g Water (100-105 F)

Mix both flours and gluten in bowl
Mix (and dissolve) salt and yeast in water in large plastic bucket/bowl
Add flour mixture to water and mix until all flour is wet.
Store for 2 hours at RT and let the dough rise
Store dough in fridge overnight (slightly covered but not airtight)
Next day take half of the dough (recipe makes two breads) and form it to loaf and store for two hours at RT with plastic foil slightly covering dough so that there is no “hard skin” forming
One hour before before baking put baking stone into the middle of the oven and baking sheet below it and preheat to 450 F
After two hours slash loaf and put on baking stone and add 1.5 cups hot water in baking sheet
Bake for 50 minutes and remove from oven onto rack and let cool for at least 4-6 hours (or overnight)

2 Likes

Oh, I love the idea of marmalade! Brilliant!

1 Like

Had seen a pic of these a while back and the image wouldn’t go away😏. So I had to try them.
Very happy with the results. The cake was beautifully pliable and thin. I will make again as a large roll. Many times my roll cakes crack, are too thick and just don’t have enough rolls - this was very easy to roll.

8 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

Beautiful cakes!

Would you share what recipe you used?

This recipe. I used her alternate of oil instead of butter and I used black cocoa. All gone now. They were worth the effort!

5 Likes

I made California Scones yesterday and served it with (homemade) quince jelly made sugar-free with Pamona Pectin. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

First attempt at a cinnamon brioche. Next time, a much lighter hand on the topping. The recipe I followed called for a a melted butter dip, roll in cinnamon brown sugar mix and a separate pecan/brown sugar/crumbled butter topping. Too much of a good thing. The brioche dough is delicious. The topping is not necessary. Next time, I’ll add toasted pecans to the dough.

12 Likes

Intended to have a passion fruit ganache frosting… a first try with the valrhona passion fruit feves. Mixed the ganache in the morning and refrigeratored it. Made bravetart’s chocolate layers and then took out the ganache to whip it up and frost the cake. NOT! After 8 min of high speed whipping it was sort of foamy but very liquid😢. sad, it tasted very good.
Quickly made Italian buttercream and made my first attempt at a drip edge. I shouldn’t have covered the top but had enough ganache to do so. Overnight the ganache became sort of cracked looking. All’s fine as the cake is very good.
I’m thinking of trying to turn the ganache into ice cream?

10 Likes

(sigh) Every time I come into this thread I feel I loose another ab…

:upside_down_face:

This small, from a 2nd batch of new starter, sourdough loaf was enriched with goats milk whey I strained off a tub of TraderJoes goats milk yogurt over the course of 10 hours for another purpose (cheese).

Since my start was new, the whey gave the bread dough some umpf. Killing two birds with one stone as it were. No waste!

9 Likes

Looks fabulous @Rooster!

Thank you. Fun experiment!