Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

I would guess that you could sub pumpkin for applesauce or zucchini or carrot in any number of baked goods. Spice or season as you wish, or not.

1 Like

Son coming for lunch today, and husband going to the country tomorrow, so made two loaves.
2 breads
Cashed one at lunch. I mean, who can walk past warm bread…
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 5.38.21 PM

9 Likes

Unless what you’re intending is pumpkin bread. :grin:

1 Like

Nice!

I’ve been on an Indianized baking kick as a result of the series of Indian holidays.

Several delicious experiments!

1. Rasmalai Tres Leches Ricotta Cake

I had an idea for tres leches cake flavored like an Indian dessert (rasmalai) - made ricotta cake, soaked in a milk and cream mixture flavored with cardamom and saffron, and topped with candied slivered almonds. Result was lovely and rich, and I ended up making it again a week later by request for a potluck (Indian) holiday party.

1. Mawa Cake

These are very rich, dense cupcake-ish not-too-sweet Indian cakes made with milk solids (milk reduced very slowly until only the solids remain - but are not caramelized). I made a small recipe in two baby bundts, using leftover ricotta, and used cardamom and saffron in the batter.

The flavors deepened and the texture of the cake improved in a day or two, like an olive oil cake.

1. Gulab Jamun Cake

Mawa Cake redux - made a soaking syrup with cardamom, saffron, and rosewater and poured it over the warm cake. Also used the trimmed dome to make two gulab jamun cake truffles.

I loved this - tastes just like a gulab jamun but less (sickly) sweet.

13 Likes

You are welcome and have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

How long did you soak the cakes? I’m going to make “soaking” dessert soon, Rum Baba. I remember last time I soaked a brioche with some syrup, not long enough, the liquid didn’t get in the core, so it was a bit plain.

Love them!

Looked perfect. Must be good!

Good to see you around again!

3 Likes

Thank you, naf. I am so impressed by your baking posts!

1 Like

Italian anise seed biscuits. Dunkers.

8 Likes

I made the tres leches twice - the first time as a round cake (half recipe), the second as a bundt - because it looks pretty. The round soaked in the milk mixture much better, as I knew would be the case. I soaked one a few hours, the other overnight.

The sugar syrup soaked in much more easily - in 15 mins.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

Sure - I did warm the cake and the sugar syrup was thin and hot, so I didn’t even need to poke holes.

For the tres leches, next time I’d bake as a thinner shape to enhance milk absorption (other alternative is to use a sponge cake instead of ricotta cake, but my friends were very insistent that I stick with the ricotta cake because the texture and richness were close to the dessert that was the inspiration).

1 Like

Thank you for mentioning the site and your modifications to the recipe, @Rooster - am thrilled with results! (Almost as thrilled as I am that you’re posting again; you’ve been missed.)

I made the recipe yesterday, with a few other modifications - replaced 1/3 of the oil with applesauce and added a very small pinch of cloves. Had intended to add vanilla, per your mention (how much do you add?) but then misplaced the bottle.

As I was making muffins and mini loaves, I baked both at 375-degrees for about 30 minutes, then pulled out the muffins, reduced the temp to 350, and continued baking the mini loaves for another 12-15 minutes (lost track of exactly when I pulled them).

Yield was six jumbo/large muffins and three mini loaves. (Would have been four of the latter but for a cat-related mishap.)

6 Likes

Outstanding! Nice photos too. I will try your rec’s next time. I’m still making homemade applesauce and pear sauce. I’d like to try the applesauce bundt cake on that website at some point.
I used 2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract (home bottled) for the two loaves.
Thank you for the warm welcome. I have missed the give and take here.

3 Likes

The mawa cake looks delicious!

1 Like

Started a focaccia dough ferment tonight. Bake Sunday for spaghetti dinner.

Another winner method from Alexandras Kitchen.

I’ve made it several times. Family favorite. Sliced horizontally makes a nice sandwich bread.

13 Likes

Gorgeous focaccia there, Rooster!

Focaccia has become one of my favorite things to bake and freeze in one-meal portions. I like to use King Arthur bread flour for mine when possible. Speaking of which, I should probably bake again next week.

2 Likes

I use KA flours too. This one is a combo of KA bread and unbleached ap flour.
Some focaccia tips I’m figuring out include:
18 hour rest rise is well worth it.
A small wine cooler unit makes an excellent proofing box.
An insta-release pan like USA bakeware means no worries and less need to overdo butter or olive oil when preparing the bake pan.
That the flavored butter step brushed on straight out of the oven is where you invest in good butter and top notch Maldon salt.

Do you have any tried and true tips to share?

8 Likes