Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

I like the look of your topping. Will you please share the recipe?

Of course @Sasha, but sorry to not be exact, as I winged it. This should come close, and you can fine tune to your tastes.

Raspberry Topping
3 cups fresh raspberries, rinsed
1/2 cup sugar, or more or less to taste
2 heaping teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup water

Pour half the water into a 2 quart saucepan
Add the sugar to the fresh berries and stir
Combine the cornstarch with the remaining water, and stir until smooth
Add the berries and cornstarch mixture to the pan, stir, and bring to a full simmer, stirring the pan
Let cool well, and then use as a topping or thick sauce

Enjoy!

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I actually was ogling your crumb topping for the crisp. If it’s not too much bother to share THAT recipe? Thank you.

Yes, no problem, it’s my Auntie’s recipe, and my go to for crisp.

Auntie’s Fruit Crisp Topping

1 cup A/P flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, unbeaten
1/2 cup salted butter, melted

Slice about 4-5 cups of fruit - peaches, nectarines, plums or apples OR berries
Sprinkle sugar on fruit to desired sweetness, and add cinnamon if wanted - I’d start with 1/3 to 1/2 cup for apples, more for tart berries or plums
Put fruit in a 9x11 pan or similar

Stir the salt, sugar, and baking powder into the flour, mixing well
Add the unbeaten egg, stirring in with a fork - the mixture will be shaggy, and this is what you want
Put the topping on the fruit, and pour the melted butter over evenly (I’ve reduced the butter by a few tablespoons, with good results)
Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until bubbly, and a tester comes out clean

Great with vanilla ice cream while still warm!

• To store leftover: cover loosely with a towel or paper towel to keep the topping crisp. Plastic wrap will render it soft.

** Sugar quantities can be tweaked up or down to your preference.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Made flan or custard tart again. Very happy with the result, usually I not a big fan of flan, but Ioved the result. Used the recipe of Jacques Genin, the tart case was in between a short crust and puff pastry due to dough was 1.5 hour in the freezer. The vanilla custard was more creamy than the ones normally found in shops, but I prefer it much more this way. I dried a previously used vanilla pod in low-temperature oven and mixed to obtain the powder that I infused in the creme.

12 Likes

Made my first ice skin moon cake last week. The insert was mango flavoured (whipped) cream, yogurt and a biscuit. Long process…but quite fun.

9 Likes

Amazing! I always thought the custard in that French-style flan tart was a bit stiff, too

1 Like

When they are stiff, they usually add too much corn starch.

1 Like

Made a peach torte with the last of the peaches that our neighbor gave us from her tree.

This is a riff on the well-loved NYT plum torte recipe. That one’s behind a paywall, so I used this version from Leite’s Culinaria instead. I swapped in vanilla extract and almond extract in place of cinnamon. The cake had a marzipan flavor as a result, which was delicious with the peaches.

8 Likes

While we always make bread for dinner parties, and our son knows he can snag a loaf if he gives me notice, I seldom make it just for us. But yesterday was a happy exception, And since there was no special occasion, to save it for, we cut it while it was still warm. I don’t know why we don’t have it more often,.

10 Likes

Your home made bread is lovely …

Thanks, but this is “cheater bread”. Takes almost 24 hours but no effort.

4 Likes

Ha Ha !! Looks good !!!

1 Like

Tried several recipes of chocolate flan.

The recipe of Jacques Genin was tasty, the cocoa powder was used in the custard, which made the surface not smooth and very dark colour. Aesthetically, h said it was ugly but tasted good.

I tried a different recipe, by Yann Brys. The cocoa powder this time was in the dough. It looked good, and even better in taste.

In both case, I used a 70% dark chocolate, intense and quite bitter. Worked rather well with the chocolate flan.

7 Likes

It’s that time of year for dueling pumpkin breads. Super tasty, simple dbl recipe. Freezes beautifully. I’ve begun toasting slices as a base for scrambled eggs. Go figure.

11 Likes

Truly lovely looking breads.

Thanks Barca

1 Like

Lovely loaves!

What recipe do you like?

I had never eaten it until a friend’s mom brought some for her birthday a few years ago, and I realized it’s just a moist spice cake!

2 Likes

i have probably referenced recipes from the site, Alexandra’s Kitchen before. My wife enjoys the recipe collection posted there. I added all the warm spices listed in the recipe plus pure vanilla extract not called for. It’s very moist and a one bowl, double loaf batch. Unlike my sisters pumpkin muffins, I can slice cooled loaves into portions and freeze; enjoying toasting slices on the fly.

Fwiw, I disagree that pumpkin bread is like spice bread. Pumpkin puree is very present in the recipe and results in a moist bread that stays moist and requires nothing else. Spice bread is much drier, usually improves with some sort of frosting/icing and continues to dry out within days…at least the versions I have tried.

4 Likes