Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

Wowza!

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Looks wonderful Naf.

Pâtissier Jeffrey Cagnes is a true marvel …

1 Like

Welcome, do you bake your own cakes?

1 Like

Had to make some tarts with all the berry bounty from the farmers market. Wish I could have fit more fruit on but they are perfect for a few bites. All gone today😋

7 Likes

Nice ones!

I know this is very late, but I only just saw your comment – and chai is a never-ending topic…

The everyday chai I grew up was indeed plain - boiled, but no spices. Once in a while, or when guests came, chai masala would be added, or fresh ginger or “green tea” (“leelee chai” = lemongrass leaves) or fresh-crushed cardamom or fresh mint.

I vastly prefer my tea with a little flavor boost - one or more of the fresh additions.

I will say, though, that real “cutting” chai needs zero additional spices - it is ridiculously flavorful on its own just from the caramelization of the reduced milk.

What a coincidence! Just today I accused my Gujrati friend --who makes the absolute best chai, cutting style just like you described-- of holding out on me because my online food friend drinks masala chai everyday. Oops!

1 Like

I’m reading this newly purchased ebook Dominique Ansel: The Secret Recipes. It’s not a recipe book but rather, the secrets that are not included in most recipes. Haven’t finish reading it, but I like it so far.

On sale right now for $1.99

3 Likes

Made a crisp from the Green Gage plums from the tree in our garden. Had an abundant crop, but not massive. Have made a lot of plum things over the years, but never a crisp. Also put some homegrown raspberries in there. Dead easy, and really good. Left it quite tart, intentionally and sweetened it up with a healthy scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

6 Likes

I love that sweet/tart combo. I love plums!

3 Likes

Yes, thank you, it’s really good @heidicooksandbakes! I also use that combination in jams - raspberry plum and strawberry plum are the combinations I and the jam giftees like best.
Plums are underrated in my opinion, and I don’t think I realized how intoxicatingly perfumed they are, with a heady fruit and floral aroma, as well as taste. Can’t wait til next year now.

4 Likes

@Lambchop I agree with you about plums!

When I started playing around with making my own jams, the unexpected favorite, that folks asked for year after year? Plum. They are almost winelike and far more complex cooked than raw IMHO. Yay you for doing combo flavors, I just do black or red plum and keep it at that : )

3 Likes

Happy to know there are other plum lovers out there @Happybaker! I just have the Green Gage on my garden tree, but my now moved away friend used to share her Italian Prune plums with me. I’ll have to buy some of those this fall. I also love Satsuma plums, but they’re very difficult to find around here. Really love peaches too, which are starting to come on around here. What a great time of year! :peach:

Thank you for confirming this.

1 Like

We are in the peak of peach season here & the peach jam is excellent. Plums should start in another week or two.

My own creation, which I’ll call Peach Melba Cream Pie. A cream cheese layer, topped with fresh, ripe peaches, followed by homegrown raspberries, sweetened and thickened with a little cornstarch. The raspberry flavor dominated over the peaches, so I would use less next time. I may have been able to coax a little more peach flavor by using a judiciously small amount of almond extract, but I used vanilla and a bit of lemon zest. (Which may in fact have distracted a little.) Dessert is extremely rare around here these days, so no complaints, it was heavenly…

7 Likes

Lovely pie!

Since you called it Peach Melba Cream Pie, peach should be dominant. Raspberry should be minimum as it has strong flavour !!

2 Likes

Yes, agree @naf - guess it will be renamed to Raspberry Peach Cream Pie! I had hoped to be crafting a different flavor profile, but as is, it was indeed delicious. My very favorite dessert is a vanilla poached peach half with puréed raspberry and Kirsch, with whipped cream. I have the name in French, but not typing it out tonight…

3 Likes

This sounds good. The combination is quite unusual.

LOL! Want it. Working on flavour profile is exciting.