Brass handles on copper pots?

Yes, these get hot.

Does anybody like these kinds of handles on sauce pots, at all?

I know the vastly preferred version is cast iron or maybe even better wrought iron if you can get it. SS functions well if you can handle the aesthetic.

Hi, Hiracer:

No, I don’t think anyone who is rational about function could prefer brass tongue handles for stovetop use. I think such brass handles exist at all only for non-functional reasons, e.g., ease in casting, ductility, aesthetics, corrosion resistance.

I have only one pan with a brass tongue (a Mazzetti skillet). After receiving a few burns, I wised up and fitted her with a silicone sleeve. This works fine.

Still, about the only future pan I’d even consider buying with a brass tongue is a unicorn like a 3mm oval fish pan.

Aloha,
Kaleo

I think they look nice and of course they don’t rust…but for single handled sauce pans, well, I have one in the shape of a Windsor pan and you have to be on your toes, that handle gets hot fast. I noticed Dehillerin has a notice on their website- that they are only selling Mauviel with the brass handles, including the thicker versions…What’s up with that? Anyway, the hot handles get old fast, I guess if I didn’t have various other handle materials on other pans, I might get used to using them with some protection.

The brass handle I have has sharp top edges that I may pass a file over to smooth out - I like the Mauviel stainless handles well enough and the iron handles are fine too- they get hot but they don’t surprise you as much.

I recently saw a perfect set of 3 mm tin lined pans for $400 on ebay. Copperware delights website sells new at reasonable prices. I’ve only seen wrought iron handles on extremely old pans.

Kaleo,

Can you tell me more about the silicone sleeve, maybe a picture?

I am looking for a very specific pot and Mazzetti has a 4 quarter that is pretty close. Demeyere Atlantis has a disk bottom which, size -wise, is perfect (5 quart tall stock pot, 8 inches by 8 inches). But I really want cladded or better yet copper 3mm. 20cm diameter is ideal, but I will settle for 22cm. Need 4 to 5 quarts. No helper handles.

My rondeau has those short brass handles and yes, they get hot. I also have them on a stocker.

Never knew I was seeking a unicorn -(oval 3mm+ pan)-- now I know.

It seems like the e.Dehillerin prices are lower than before the change – it seemed they drew down their inventory and now they are back. Is the tinned still 2.5-3.5mm?

Gooster,

My rondeau has the brass loops too. It cooks so well it hardly finds itself in the oven. LOL. I find braising on the stop much faster.

1 Like

IF you’re looking for a tall single handled sauce pan, and not a 2 handled pot, then I might think something like this might work- maybe the 7.5 x5 or the 9.25 x 6 inch https://food52.com/shop/products/1918-vintage-copper-english-saucepan-mid-19th-century

Alexander,

Thanks, but the 9.5 is too big and the 7.5 is under 4 quarts, my cut-off. Plus It’s too rich for me, and I didn’t see anything about thickness.

Hi, Hiracer:

Sure, here’s a photo.

They’re a Vollrath ptoduct, available at many resto supply houses. http://vollrath.com/Cool-Handle-Replacement-Handles-2103.htm

Note that they have a slot-type channel, rather than a rounder, sloppier hole. They can be a tight fit, but once on your handle, will not turn or slip.

Really, their only downside is that they can make hanging a little more of a challenge.

Aloha,
Kaleo

The old 22 cm. sauce pans are just slightly smaller than 9"x5" in size and hold 4 quarts with about 3/4" to spare I have a 3 mm tin lined one. and I bet Alarash a poster from c.h. may have a used one for sale. Finding an 8" sauce pan with a 6" height would require finding a large ‘milk’ pan, and it would not be 3 mm. thick. …Soy Turkiye could custom make you one…obviously not cheap…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-French-Mafter-Casserole-copper-cookware-5-quarts-3-MM-7-1-2-LB-/111848416481?hash=item1a0aaf64e1:g:6Q8AAOSwwE5WYy4l

Alexander,

Thanks but 24 cm is a non-starter. 22cm is marginal. I know exactly what I’m looking for. I don’t think it’s made. The Mazzetti is the the best copper version I have found thus far. 20cm X 18 cm is the ideal. The Mazzetti is 22cm X 12 cm with rounded corners.

Kaleo,

Many thanks. That looks really interesting. Ugly as hell, but functional. It should be black, IMO. But blue is the company color, I get it. Glad to hear they don’t slip. That was a concern of mine.

Did you use a lubricant to get them on? Many people use hairspray to slip on bicycle grips. Slippery until dry.

I think I could live with these. My plot thickens. (Pun?)

Alexander,

Thanks for the Ebay link. I saw that earlier. Too wide.

I’m hardcore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Dehillerin-Antique-5-quart-copper-cookware-Sacuce-pan-7-1-2-pounds-8-5-8-/121839627220?hash=item1c5e352bd4:g:hLgAAOSwo0JWP5H5 this is not 24 cm or 23 cm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Dehillerin-Antique-5-quart-copper-cookware-Sacuce-pan-7-1-2-pounds-8-5-8-/121839627220?hash=item1c5e352bd4:g:hLgAAOSwo0JWP5H5

The Dehillerin is interesting. Thanks.

Hi, Hiracer:

I just boiled the sleeve for a minute to make it more pliable.

If 20cm (8") is in the running, this is a very nice pan: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3MM-4QT-8-FRENCH-HAMMERED-COPPER-POT-PAN-TIN-LINED-VINTAGE-COOKWARE-6-5LB-/301829520886?hash=item464670fdf6:g:my0AAOSwUdlWdHgU

Aloha,
Kaleo

Kaleo,

I remember looking at that one earlier. It’s a bit shy of 4 quarts by my math. Still, I think I should give that a hard look. It looks 20cm to my eye too which is the sweet spot.

@hiracer – I think I mentioned it, but the 20 cm Mauviel with CI handles in hammered tin is about 2.5 to 2.7 mm and 3.6qts. Mine was just $115 shipped from Amazon.de (lousy, terrible packing, btw). If you end up in the Bay Area, Cookin’ has some 3.5mm in stock at fair prices. I picked up an 18cm there — I don’t recall that specific size in stock but I’ll be back there post xmas.

Finally, Pierre Verges makes a 2.5mm tinned lined in 22 cm-- unfortunately with the helper handle you don’t want.