Blueying Carbon steel

Now, you realize you have a missing piece in your heart.

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I’m all good. Also don’t own the N15 and N20.
No problemo.

Here’s my final advice to guys trying to blue their carbon steel pans for the first time.

My advice is based on my limited personal experience on blueing 4 of my 6 carbon steel pans.

1. If possible always use a gas stovetop for blueing and seasoning

2. Always try to use a burner big enough for the pans bottom

3. Always start on low heat and slowly/gradually raise the heat by 15-20% every 3-4 minute

4. I do this trick - it’s just a trick I do with my pans, when blueing them.

First heat the entire pan up on the large burner that fits the pans bottom.

Now use a medium sized burner approximately the size of 20-25% of your pan.

Avoid heating up the center of the pan, as it will have a tendency to warp here first.

Instead place the pan so the burner starts heating up the outer edges of the pan.

First the front 15%, heat it up until it turns blue/orange, then move the pan so the next 15% is heated up and continue to heat it up until this area also turns blue/orange and continue a long the outer edges of the pan until you’ve blued the entire area of the pan EXCEPT the center of the pan and end the blueing by placing the pan back on the larger burner and heat up the center of the pan until that turns blue/orange too.

This way, you minimise the risk of a warped pan since a pan rarely ever warps on the outer edges of a pan but 99% of time warps in the center of the pan.

2 Likes

Nice advises to avoid warps

Here’s the first pan I blued ‘my way’.

It’s a small 22 cm Matfer Bourgeat.

I only use it for eggs and spice heating, so it’s not a workhorse pan - but it shows you how well and easy a blued pan will take on the seasoning oil. Even before the pan is heated up it will start to darken immediately.

I’ve seasoned this pan 2 times and then used it on and off.
But not for high heat searing. I use my other carbon steel pans for high heat searing and they look nothing like this pan.

Made that mistake with my first wok. Gloopy and sticky. That’s just what happened.

I agree with your seasoning technique. Never blued any of my CS.

Yeah. Nothing like use for the best seasoning.

Well maybe then you should give it a try ?!?

Just because our forefathers didn’t use any fancy seasoning techniques or know how doesn’t mean we/you shouldn’t either.

The carbon steel pans I’ve blued and used my new seasoning techniques on are so far my best performing carbon steel pans in my collection - so perhaps blueing and using a proper seasoning technique after that is not such a bad idea after all…………hmmmm

Maybe one day I’ll give it a rip. Pretty happy with my seasoning now, though. I’m color blind, too boot, so maybe not. Doesn’t seem to serve as an advantage in cooking so much as aesthetic.

I think you’re right.

Most steels will turn blue from heat alone at about 300C/575F. Depending on the steel and how it’s treated after the heat, e.g., “soaking”, it can soften or temper. Bladesmiths use a color chart in order to gauge their heat treats. Here’s a chart:

1 Like

Well I’m not so sure - my guess is that there’s a good reason why it’s pretty common among Asian and especially Chinese chefs to blue their carbon steel woks.

If indeed it’s a way to prevent or minimize rust, that alone is a very good reason to do it.

And as mentioned the carbon steel pans I’ve blued so far all seem to bond much better and much deeper with the seasoning oil even in a cold state - and that alone is a reason to blue your carbon steel pans in my opinion.

Is it absolutely necessary to blue your carbon steel pans ?
Most certainly NOT !

Is is a good way to minimize the chances of rust and make the seasoning bond much easier and better to your pan ?
Most certainly YES !