Best ways to use Lyle’s Golden Syrup?

My lovely neighbor gifted me a can of Lyle’s Golden Syrup, which I have never used before. She’s fond of it on pancakes, but I was thinking maybe we’d enjoy the Lyle’s more in a baked good or another application. (Pancakes require maple syrup in my breakfast universe.)

If you are a fan of Lyle’s Golden Syrup, do you have a favorite way to use it?

1 Like

I just use it in my coffee. Probably not the best use, but I thought it tasty.

1 Like

My absolute favourite way is with steamed sponge pudding . Must serve with lots of custard.

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/steamedgoldensyrupsp_91206

Also good on sourdough toast with salted bitter. Has to be salted so you get the salted caramel vibe going on.

2 Likes

I use it in recipes instead of corn syrup, especially in my caramel candies. But it would be good replacing corn syrup in pecan pie, too.

1 Like

@bbqboy, @paprikaboy, @Babette—all of these suggestions are so helpful and enlightening.

That steamed pudding sounds approachable and tempting. Could be a fun dessert to share with our neighbor.

And I already love pecan pie at Thanksgiving. Swapping in Lyle’s for corn syrup appeals.

1 Like

Absolutely.

Although I have also been known to use it in place of maple syrup when I’ve resented paying the price of the maple.

1 Like

Yes, I use it to make a Canadian treat - butter tarts, instead of corn syrup or maple syrup. If you’re OK with cup measures and not weighed – www.chatelaine.com/recipes/chatelainekitchen/the-ultimate-butter-tart-recipe/. I use readymade pastry

3 Likes

But I also love it in oatmeal/porridge. Yum.

1 Like

I dont have golden syrup but a jar of brown rice syrup needs long overdue attention. Anyone know if they are interchangeable in a pudding recipe? The BBC link looks deliciously easy. @tomatotomato thanks for asking the question. I had never heard of golden syrup.

1 Like

Butter tarts?! How have I not known about these before? :wink: The prospect of holiday baking just got a whole lot more interesting.

2 Likes

An iconic British brand , Dan. It’s history below. For info, Tate & Lyle is one of two companies which dominate the British sugar market although, as often the case these days, the company is now American owned.

1 Like

Ok, this is helpful. I should be thinking along the lines of honey not corn syrup.

Thank you. I did plan on reading up and you beat me to it, much appreciated, John.

1 Like

I also use it as a replacement for corn syrup, but i couldn’t get it to work in marshmallows for some reason.

There is an America’s Test Kitchen recipe for frozen yogurt that I use it in, too: https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/frozen-yogurt

Also, there is this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I only made it once using quick-cooking oats as indicated. I reckon you could pulse traditional rolled oats in the food processor a few times. https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/09/flapjacks/

1 Like

@bmorecupcake, that Smitten Kitchen recipe for the dessert bars (flapjacks) made with Lyle’s sounds like a contender for me.

Work is crazy busy now—so precious little time to be had in the kitchen—and now I can’t wait to get a breather to try one of the preparations you all have suggested.

That’s the way I use it in coffee.

What kind of pudding?

1 Like

The steamed pudding @Chris linked upthread.

1 Like

d’oh!

I think Lyle’s is more magically delicious for an application like that but otherwise I find liquid sweeteners mostly interchangeable if you account for flavor and viscosity. Lyle’s is maybe a bit thicker than honey, which is thicker than regular corn syrup, which is thicker than maple syrup …

I worked for a woman who had a candied nuts recipe that used brown rice syrup. IIRC, you warmed a small amount of syrup, coated the nuts with it, then added a brown sugar, salt, & spices mix that stuck to the syrup. Then bake until nuts are roasted and sugars/syrup has cooked to a candy shell. The brown rice syrup is more neutral in flavor than honey and doesn’t carry the stigma of corn syrup.

I have poured it on pancakes/waffles in lieu of maple syrup and I use it to make a candy called honeycomb/hokey pokey. I saw it on a Nigella Lawson program many years ago made it the next Christmas and my family went nuts for it. It’s been a staple ever since.

2 Likes

Thxs. Candy suggestion sounds great for Thanksgiving.