Best Uses for Leftover Turkey

I do love turkey and rice soup. Switched over to using wild rice (instead of white) and love it even more.

My family always make Turkey Tetrazzini. It’s not gourmet but it’s a dish that just brings up all those warm fuzzy memories for me. Still make it every year with the left overs.

2 Likes

Turkey lollipops.

Deep fried turkey meatballs made in the air fryer for easier cleanup and health!

Stick a toothpick in them and serve with leftover gravy.

2 Likes

Cold sliced turkey sandwiches on croissants with basil or pesto mayo, romaine lettuce and sliced tomato.
My mother’s Turkey Tetrazzini
Really good home made turkey soup served with some kind of bread, butter and quince jelly

1 Like

Oooh, I’ll check into those!

My Boxing Day turkey sandwich also has leftover stuffing and , importantly, mango chutney. Ordinary sliced white bread will do - the sort of bread that makes the absolute best bacon sandwich for breafast.

1 Like

I always make turkey and sausage gumbo the weekend after. Thursday I cook all the bones and leftover pan debris in my 7 qt slow cooker to make the broth. Next day I cool it overnight. I usually, but not always, incorporate the fat that accumulates on the chilled broth into an oven roux. Sweat some andouille sausage with the trinity (green pepper, celery and onion), add the broth and some creole seasoning to taste, thicken with my oven roux and add pulled turkey. Serve with a scoop of rice (or leftover stuffing)

4 Likes

Am I the only one who just keeps making more plates of turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and cranberries until it’s all gone?

2 Likes

Nope. But one of my favs is a warm sandwich with turkey, stuffing, gravy, and cranberries on lightly toasted whole wheat bread.

We run out of stuffing, cranberry sauce, cauliflower cheese and sweet potatoes on Day 2!

2 delicious uses, neither particularly mind blowing.

Pulled turkey meat on white bread w/mayo and cranberry sauce. This is how I always got it at Bakeman’s, a Seattle institution, before they closed.

And a soup made from broth from the carcass, then mirepoix, rice, turkey chunks, and thyme. This is typically a Saturday lunch because Friday, we always eat the leftovers as they are, without modifying them.

1 Like

Turkey Tetrazzini and turkey soup with carcass broth are our go-tos for leftovers. Sometimes turkey pot pie if I have a lot of meat.

But there are some really great ideas in this thread that I think I’m going to try. I’ll have to do the tet, because the kids expect it, but the others they can take or leave.

My husband gently puts his foot down on leftovers of any kind after the 2nd night. Thanksgiving in particular. Whereas I could keep going and going until the last bit of cranberry sauce is gone. So I just portion out a few servings, freeze and wait until February to warm up after the holidays are over.

2 Likes

I had a second turkey project after I returned from the holidays with others, and after more than my share of turkey breast sandwiches, and roasted wings and sous vide legs, I found myself here, looking for “soup”!

1 Like

Soup’s good, but pot pie or tinga is better… IMHO.

1 Like

Hmmmm…tinga appeals! Can be low carb and re-heated! I can do that with my sous vide drumsticks!

1 Like

Chicken tetrazzini is the only "must have’ up in our crib.

1 Like

We’ve been liking Coronation Turkey a lot

Finally made turkey tinga, from a mixture of recipes I will have to piece together
Pretty good! Serving on tostadas with avocado mash.

6 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like

Homemade turkey stock in a 1:1 ratio with Beef Better Than Bouillon (diluted per label) is my favorite liquid for French Onion Soup.

1 Like